What is this? I have no idea......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meme

Reaction score
Hi!

I did soak off and new set for a lady today.
She said she had gel infill previously but it wasn't gel not even gel top coat on top of it either.

I can tell her nails were infilled with acrylic, however the original application was something I've never come across.

It took slightly longer than acrylic to soak off and it become really slimy and sticky - just like old nail glue.

Is this a kind of acrylic or something else?

I really want to know what that was!!

Meg

Last edited:
Sounds like it could have been MMA, basically dental acrylic,
if you do a search on this site for MMA you will gets of reading on it to help you work out if it was,
usually has a funny smell to it too, hth :hug:

Thanks, Loubylou.

Yes, it could be MMA.
But I managed to soak them off in 1 hour (with buffing), I just thought MMA takes a lot longer than that....
And I didn't smell anything funny. (may be my nose got some problem?!)

Her mum is coming tomorrow, they've been to the same salon.

I will be well tired out tomorrow too.

Last edited:
Yep sounds like MMA ....lovely lovely stuff ....

I had a client in today....buffed of as much as I could on one hand & soaked the other in the meantime to show her exactly what was on her nails.....She was horrified!

I never soak off MMA...always buff off as much as I can....being careful with the dust and the stentch, then overlay with mine.....reason being disintigrating free edge on the natural nail where the prep has been too harsh...

Needless to say she has re-booked with me for her re-balance lol

i know what you are speaking of, we get it round here too.

i dont think its mma neccessarily, that would take longer to soak off.
i think its just a very cheap grade of acrylic and it seems to be used by most of our nss. has a sort of odd smell, sort of flowery but in a cheap car airfreshener type of way and soaks of into a gooey consistency like bostik or uhu glue.

The ones I deal with always smell fishy .... yukkkkk & they wont completely soak off....

Hi

It could have been backscratchers tip and dip acrylic, this goes all glue like when soaked in acetone.

I've dealt with MMA before and I think the one today was different.

Let's say, that was cheap grade of acrylic, is it safe to soak off ?
Or should I just thin down and do infill?

I saw her mum's nail a few days ago, all nails are lifted badly (more than half of her nail plates) OR mixed with lots of air bubbles :eek:
I didn't check them properly so not sure if they are lifting or bubbles.

In either way, I want to remove them.
(By the way she's got clear tip mixed with crushed shell.)

If soak off is not recommended, how would you deal with her nails?
Would you buff off all the lifting/bubble parts?

May be a good idea to check if the client remembers how the enhancements where applied. This may shed some light as to what was used. Lets say the liqued and bead method or the brush on resin and dip powder.

I have not yet had the pleasure of MMA and hope never to have to deal with it, but I always find it better to soak or file away other products then you are starting with a clean nail plate, that way you do not run in to any problems.

I would only remove the MMA (if thats what it is) if there was a lot of lifting, otherwise just thin out as much as possible and rebalance with your own product.

The trouble with soaking or filing off all of the NSS product(s) is that you can find that the nail plates are very thin & sore......or the free edge of the natural nail just crumbles away....

depending on damage....

I leave a thin layer of it on and overlay with my products to grow out.....Taking it all off can sometimes lead to more problems....& pain for the client...

Once the client sees you try to file the stuff & you educate them most of them are happy to grow it off...

I have tried to word this carefully as not all NSS are the same...

lolyou beat me to it Jac

it does sound like backscratchers to me as this is what i use as well as nsi attraction, backscratchers tip and dip actually soak off alot quicker you just have to keep wiping with a tissue then soak a bit more etc

Thank you very much for your reply.

I checked instruction of Backscratchers dip system online and asked the mum and the daughter how the previous salon applied the enhancement to them.

It wasn't the dip system....

Whatever that was, if you are not sure what clients have got on their nails, it's better thin it down rather than soak off - is it right?

BTW the mum's nails were badly damaged, I managed to educate them.
They were very pleased with my work.

Latest posts

Back