what percentage to pay salon owner ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOPCAT1008

Reaction score
HI - I have been offered a place in a hairdreser/beauty salon- really nice and busy. The only snag is the salon owner wants 50% of the money I take. This is what she does with the self-employed people she already has - and they are happy with this. I have since thought about it and have emailed her to say that i would really like to work in her place, but this is a bit steep and explained that the other therapists require a room with all the appliances etc, whereas I would not be requiring anything as I am sitting in a nice area in the reception. Hope someone can point me in the right direction about this as I would realy love to work there and it is a good opportnity to myself. I have been home based for 2 years and this is my first try at a salon. Also vcan anyone tell me what the nrmal rates are

marie

This seems quite steep to me. Personally I would say no thanks (but thats just me). Is she expecting you to provide all your products etc too?

This is steep the going rate is normally 25%, If you also have to supply your own products I would say forget it and look for a better offer.

Hi

The normal rate is 25% if you do a search there are loads of threads on this. If she wants 50% what does this include? Advertising, products, insurance, receptionist, retail products, record cards, nail desk etc????

I would look into it more and ask for the terms in writing so you are both clear and this will avoid any misunderstandings.

Hi Marie

That seems really steep to me. When i was in a Salon i paid 25% but this include phone, light, heating, tea/coffee, and they booked in customers for me. Any retail or art work was not included that was all mine.

I think you should talk to them again or ring round afew salons and ask there rate.

Vicky

my reaction was way too much!!! i used to pay 25% of my takings and i supplied my own products and equipment. the salon took my bookings, provided tea, coffee, electric, water etc. this worked really well and i now have moved on to paying a flate rate of £30 a week, which is reasonable for the area i am in.

mooredianne said:
my reaction was way too much!!! i used to pay 25% of my takings and i supplied my own products and equipment. the salon took my bookings, provided tea, coffee, electric, water etc. this worked really well and i now have moved on to paying a flate rate of £30 a week, which is reasonable for the area i am in.
Thnks for all your replies. This has reassured myself tht I thought this was a bit steep. Will get in touch and let you now the outcome. Thanks again and I love this site .

I wouldn't give her more than 25%. Also you need to establish up front who the clients belong to. If you leave, can you take them with you?

Good luck. xxx

Latest posts

Back