What should i do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaH73

Reaction score
Okay ladies. I feel like i'm stuck in a rut with my life! I love nails and beauty and would like to make a go of this as a career. From salon point of view how would you feel if i came into your salon with a portfolio of my work and certificates looking for work? There is a new salon opened by me and another three close by but i feel sick with nerves going into somewhere looking for work. I can only work two days in the week and weekends (two children no childcare!) I'm starting to feel desperate as i'm so bored at home and want to do something with my life. Suppose i thought by now at the age of nearly 32 i would be doing something! HELP! Just want to advice of what to do and where to go.

Hi Linda,

Approaching your local salons with a portfolio is an excellent idea. It will show them that you have initiative and they will be able to find out a bit about your work. Also, with you approaching them, it may convince them that they need a nail technician. Good luck and keep us posted how you get on!

Linda honey... what have you got to lose? the worst thing they can say is 'no' and you'll be no worse off than you are at the moment.
I would go for it, take in your portfolio, have a set of fab nails on yourself too to show you can do your own (as it's always harder to do on yourself).
You're not old by any means, a lot of techs don't get going until they're a lot older than you, don't give up hope :hug:
xxx

Hi Linda,

Would it not be more beneficial to you if you were to go mobile or do you not want to do that?

You could then pick and choose your own hours!

vic1082 said:
Hi Linda,

Would it not be more beneficial to you if you were to go mobile or do you not want to do that?

You could then pick and choose your own hours!

I would love to go mobile but i can't drive! I do have one client that my hubby takes me to see. She found me through the yellow pages that i accidentally got put into but obviously i can't have my hubby driving me around everywhere. :sad: and at the moment i can't really afford driving lessons or to even buy a second car. Feel like i'm in a catch twenty-two!

Is it not possible for you to work from home just as you would go to someone else's house?

Can you temporarily use a dining room/living room, etc?

There's another problem. I only have a small two bed house. The dining room is very small, i was gonna describe it too you but heres a piccie instead

As you can see there is no room (please ignore the mess i was in the middle of emptying my cupboard!!!) and there is nowhere else in the house where i could do it! :mad: :mad: :mad:

From looking at that picture could you not clear out the things you don't need, store other stuff elsewhere e.g. the loft/attic or bedroom, leave the washer/dryer in and use that room?

You only need enough room for you and a client with a table between you and two chairs.

It looks ideal if you could make room - I would love a room that size to just snugly fit in!

Hi Linda

Iits a brill idea about the portfolio, why not send your C.V. with a covering letter, I have just done this and had a call straight away, most salons are happy to take on techs part time as a good tech is hard to find and most tend to want to go mobile or set up at home. go for it girl you have nothing to lose and everything to gain,
The salon that called me back straight away were not even advertising............

hello linda

im 32 also and i think its a good age to start something new. i set up on my own last year in a little room at the side of my house and its lovely to be able to just walk in there to work and then shut the door at the end of the day and its all my own work. what about investing in one of those log cabin thingys that could go out in your back garden that could be a lovely little salon. hope you decide what to do but what ever you do its gonna be great.

xxxxxx

I would be more than happy for you to come into my salon with your portfolio, as searching for staff can be a chore. Even if they are not looking for anyone at the moment they will keep your details and call. You will probably do better than you think. Good luck.

LindaH73 said:
Okay ladies. I feel like i'm stuck in a rut with my life! I love nails and beauty and would like to make a go of this as a career. From salon point of view how would you feel if i came into your salon with a portfolio of my work and certificates looking for work? There is a new salon opened by me and another three close by but i feel sick with nerves going into somewhere looking for work. I can only work two days in the week and weekends (two children no childcare!) I'm starting to feel desperate as i'm so bored at home and want to do something with my life. Suppose i thought by now at the age of nearly 32 i would be doing something! HELP! Just want to advice of what to do and where to go.

I would definately go round the salons, they can only say no and if they do you havent lost anything! If someone came to me with a portfolio I would feel pleased that they had made the effort, if they have nothing now,if they see how keen you are they may take you on later when they have got work.. best of luck!

I think it is a fab idea and if I was looking for a Nail Technician I would be definitely impressed and very interested if they would turn up with a portfolio, Certificates and a letter telling me something about them...........rather than someone coming in unprepared and asking for a job on the off chance.............
This is the way I got my job over 10 years ago and I am still there and loving it.
so go and get that portfolio sorted, add a little album with some photos of your best stuff and write a letter that reflects your personality.........like an introduction to who you are and what you are all about, don't make the letter huge, but write it in a way that they want to know more about you

Good luck xxx

i too felt just like you a year ago, so put my self on a course PASSED and i dont have a spare room, so i set up in my living room as some one has said you only need a small desk i got mine from argos, 2 chairs, that dosnt take much space, we dont use our living room we basically live up stairs thats wear all our computers are. and by the looks of your room you can keep you comp in there and still have space for a desk. all us women find some nook and crany in the house to shuff and hide some thing. good luck, get your self out of a rut and you will feel a bit more independant as well. :hug:

ValencianNails said:
Linda honey... what have you got to lose? the worst thing they can say is 'no' and you'll be no worse off than you are at the moment.xxx

My thoughts exactly. It doesn't hurt to look at your options. Why not look into both then if you get some interest from salons, see which would suit you best? I do think that if your time is limited though it would probably suit you best to work from home.

Thanks ladies for all the great advice, i'm starting to feel a lot more positive now! I'm going to sort out my portfolio and do a letter as suggested then i shall go on a walk about visiting all my local salons to see what happens.

I'll let you all know how i get on.

Thanks again lots of love from me xxx :D

Good luck with it. If you don't ask you don't get. Keeping everything crossed for you. Let us know how you get on :)

Latest posts

Back