What Should I Do?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natzdanutta

Reaction score
Hi all, only me
just rang up a salon as they are advertising a nail tech, my intention is to go mobile but with cash flo being so low i thought id call up and see what the deal was.
n e ways to cut a long story short she phoned me back and she said that to rent a chair it would be £70 ( i was cheeky and replied thats expensive!) she then said that i could work for her and use her products she then said how much do you think you should be paid!!
as i am only new to goin mobile and never worked in a salon i didnt know what to say so i just told her how much i charge for a full set (lol)
she wants me to go in tomorra and do an infill and i cheelkly said i charge £20!! lol she said she only charges £12 i replied i think you need to up your prices!!
so im to go in tomorra and do an infill get paid for my duties and still in limbo wot to do so i give it to you guys should i rent or should i be earning a wage?? and is £70 expensive i might see if i can get her down a bit! the shop is on a main road and she said she gets quite alot of business! she dont know much about nails!!!

Is it £70 per week (5-6 days)? If it really is a busy salon, it might be worth it for the sake of £11 - £14 a day, you would only have to do one full set a day to cover your costs. I've known geeks on here pay £20 a day, it depends on the location of the salon.

And is it a room or just a station/desk in the main salon?

Hope this helps

Is it £70 per week (5-6 days)? If it really is a busy salon, it might be worth it for the sake of £11 - £14 a day, you would only have to do one full set a day to cover your costs. I've known geeks on here pay £20 a day, it depends on the location of the salon.

And is it a room or just a station/desk in the main salon?

Hope this helps

for wot i know she said its a desk near the window in the main salon. yeah £70pw sorry i dont put that, didnt realise til you wrote your reply. i dont know about the days its open but keep askin questions cos i can ask her tomorra for more info!

Good luck hun. x
writing all the questions down may help too. I do this before interviews. xx:hug:

Good luck hun. x
writing all the questions down may help too. I do this before interviews. xx:hug:

thanx will do!

yeah, you need to ask loads of questions?

a few I'd ask would be:

:idea: would you be supplied a desk?
:idea: would you have a contract?
:idea: if any other nail tech's how would you define your's and their clients?
:idea: would any money have to paid up front?
:idea: would you have a key to the shop (for example if the owner was ill)
:idea: who would do your advertising? (would you have to do your own or would you have to pay towards the shop advertisment or would that be included in your rent?)
:idea: would you be able to retail products

I'm sure there are loads more but I hop I've helped you out a bit.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

a few I'd ask would be:

:idea: would you have a contract?
:idea: if any other nail tech's how would you define your's and their clients?
:idea: who would do your advertising? (would you have to do your own or would you have to pay towards the shop advertisment or would that be included in your rent?)
:idea: would you be able to retail products

I'm sure there are loads more but I hop I've helped you out a bit.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

ooohhh thanks mand thats really helpfull will get a pen n start writing these down!
xxx

a few I'd ask would be:

:idea: would you have a contract? (3 month get out clause for each party if things are not working out)
:idea: if any other nail tech's how would you define your's and their clients? (would you have to have a similar price structure or will this be defined on ability?)
:idea: would you be able to retail products (would you claim all monies from retail sales?)
Here are some other things
  1. Will you be using your own stock
  2. Will you be taking your own bookings? (phone line charges)
  3. Will you be taking all monies?/do you have access to a card machine?
  4. Will you be expected to help clean the salon or just your area?
  5. Does this rent include bills or is it just the space?
  6. Does the rent include client refreshments and facilities?

loads of help thank girlies this really helps! i'll walk in tomorra and she will be dazzled with all these questions lol but its all good cos its good to be in the know!!
xxxxxxx:lol:

sounds like it could be a goer.
best of luck for tomorrow, i hope it all works out.

good luck babe :) let me know how it goes :hug:

Come on then spill how'd it go????

Come on then spill how'd it go????
well chat about dirty!! no sanitization~!! good job i took my tools ya know how it is you like your own brush! i ended using my files on this poor woman it just wouldnt have been fair not too!! she asked before i started if it was right to feel a burning sensation when i was to file!!:eek: noooo i said she then said the last girl who worked here made me bleed when she pushed the cuticles back:eek: i said there shouldnt be n e bleeding! n e ways did her nails used half my things cos i know that they are clean! finished up n i sneaked her one of my mobile nail tech cards~!! the receptionist was pushy and this woman felt like she had to make a 2wk app. she then said under her breath i will only come back if your here i said well i cant promise that! then after she had gone a girl walked in n said everytime i come here there is a new nail tech!!

well if there are diffrent techs all the time that dosent look good do what you feel is right if you think you can make a go of it why not.if the last tech was making clients bleed and burning with the file they could not have been that good maybe they just need a good tech.Lets face it if your work is good clients will come back if its not they wont.good luck

well if there are diffrent techs all the time that dosent look good do what you feel is right if you think you can make a go of it why not.if the last tech was making clients bleed and burning with the file they could not have been that good maybe they just need a good tech.Lets face it if your work is good clients will come back if its not they wont.good luck
yes very true!! im umming and rrrring about whether i should or not especially with the bad reputation! in some ways it would be stupid not to do it cos id get my products paid for and just pay her 10%of wot i make but on the other i just dont know

yes very true!! im umming and rrrring about whether i should or not especially with the bad reputation! in some ways it would be stupid not to do it cos id get my products paid for and just pay her 10%of wot i make but on the other i just dont know

Right - So you will be paying the owner £70pw, and she pays for your products........and you will also pay her 10% of what you make?? Is that from each client or per week?

Will you be using the products you always have or will she make you use what she wants you to use?

Did you take the list of questions mentioned in this thread earlier? and what were her answers?

What do YOU feel about the salon as a whole? was it at all busy whilst you were there? Dont forget - if you get your bum in gear and really make a go of things you can raise YOUR reputation as a tech, and when people see that he other tech has gone, they may well try you.

Tell tell telll.............

Right - So you will be paying the owner £70pw, and she pays for your products........and you will also pay her 10% of what you make?? Is that from each client or per week?

Will you be using the products you always have or will she make you use what she wants you to use?

Did you take the list of questions mentioned in this thread earlier? and what were her answers?

What do YOU feel about the salon as a whole? was it at all busy whilst you were there? Dont forget - if you get your bum in gear and really make a go of things you can raise YOUR reputation as a tech, and when people see that he other tech has gone, they may well try you.

Tell tell telll.............

this salon owner has nooo idea what she is doin when it comes to nails, i said to here that another salon is intrested in taking me on and i said that they were letting me have the room for 10% of my earnings which was a likkle white lie cos i only asked the ladies today (from the hairdressers) and still waiting for their reply!
n e ways the salon owner said that she would be willing to take that %age! then i thought id be cheeky n ask for my tools and l&p for her to supply them and she said yeah!!!!! i took the questions with me and mainly she agreed with them ie yes and also i could have a key! have access to phone and that they would take my bookings for me i said i thought that the desk i was using was dirty (lol) she said in time she would get a good one with the vent thing in the middle (her words)
i said who would supply the advertising she said she would also! but if she was paying for all the stuff and me just giving her 10% of my takings wouldnt she loose money??????

but if she was paying for all the stuff and me just giving her 10% of my takings wouldnt she loose money??????

I think she would, and as you said she knows nothing about nails, so maybe she doesn't know what she is letting herself in for....don't knowingly take advantage of her!..

|I thought £70 per week rent was reasonable and the place is busy and clients come back as you have already experienced. Plus the fact that prices are too low, which you would increase if you were to work there.

I think you can enhance your own and the salon owner's business by providing the best service you can, not by trying to rip her off because of her lack of knowledge....meant in the best possible way!

If you were to rent in my salon I would charge £20 per day or £80 for the week.

I think she would, and as you said she knows nothing about nails, so maybe she doesn't know what she is letting herself in for....don't knowingly take advantage of her!..

|I thought £70 per week rent was reasonable and the place is busy and clients come back as you have already experienced. Plus the fact that prices are too low, which you would increase if you were to work there.

I think you can enhance your own and the salon owner's business by providing the best service you can, not by trying to rip her off because of her lack of knowledge....meant in the best possible way!

If you were to rent in my salon I would charge £20 per day or £80 for the week.
i know your right with me taking the pi** cos it would be quiet easy too!! more money than sense i think. i might say i will work 2 days flat out if she can get me the clients to start with, so she would have to advertise new nail tech and if i know im getting those clients i could pay her X amont for the chair! there is another salon opening soon so gonna give that one a call on monday and see what they want!! i just dont know what im gonna do its all new to me so even tho i know whats right and wots not ive never worked in salon!

Latest posts

Back