What smells transport you back to childhood?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Farts!! I grew up with my dad and 3 brothers, so you can imagine how much gas was produced each day!!

The smell of a hydrangea bush (we had one by our patio when I was little) - I always used to think it smelled of cucumber!?!

And the smell of baking, or more specifically the TASTE of the uncooked cake mixture - I used to (and still do) think it so much more yummy than the cake lol!

Bold Tumble Dry Sheets

Always reminds me of a sunday with mum washing and drying our school clothes for the week.

It's quite ironic because the primary school i teach at now was once the school i went to as a child.....so walking down the corridor for the very first time and walking into a classroom that was once my own classroom at age 6 transported me right back...lovely memories,but some bittersweet....No more black boards and chalk now,just white boards computers and hi tech gear now....we were talking the 70's back then you see:lol:

Is it not strange that when we are children everything seems so big to us,but as an adult it is so different!

The one other thing that reminds me of me as a small child is pure lavender....not the artificial smell or "hybrid" smell.....but pure unadultarated lavender from haute provence in the vaucluse department.....i will always think of my grandmother applying this oil on to me if i cut myself or had a bite....she would even put i few drops on my forehead when i was crying....and it soothed me!

very good thread....and i love sentimentality!:green:

Cut grass reminds me of summer holidays,
Christmas trees and tinsel,crayons,playdough.
The smell of freshly done ironing reminds me of Sundays when my mum did them before school.
:)

I guess it's not really my childhood but when I was in South America on a missions trip, I had coconut body butter from the body shop that I used all the time because we had no showers and the smell brings me back there even more intensely than the pictures.

Good old "pears" soap, reminds me of bath times at my nans house! And petrol lol reminds me of hours spent with my dad in his garage!

Sunlight soap and sawdust - reminds me of my Grandad

Real Christmas trees definitely - my mum always insisted we have a real one each year :)

And Chanel No 5! My grandmother used to wear it. I stayed at her place on Saturday nights to go to mass on Sunday mornings, and she would let me use the powder after my bath before bed. I thought it was so luxurious - little did I know how luxurious it actually was!

There are two that take me back. The first is Night Blooming Jasmine. It reminds me of the summer nights spent chasing fire flies with my brother. The other is Pumpkin Pie spice. It reminds me of Fall.

Battenburg cake!

My mum would by it for me when she could pick me up from school from waitrose which unfortunately wasn't very often as she was a chef and usually she was working so it was our treat. Then when I was pregnant we lived on the Isle of Skye and were about 1 hour from the shops, one day my husband and I got all the way home when I had a very real craving for Battenburg Cake when he realised that I was really desperate he drove me all the way back again to buy some and I sat in the front seat nibbling it like a squirrel , NOW I have almond spa everything and Solar oil and in heaven every day!!!!

The smell of black shoe polish always reminds me of my school days! I miss those days so much sometimes :sad: The smell of roasted leg of lamb always reminds me of my mums xmas dinners :D The smell of freshly cut grass reminds me of my childhood and my home country (South Africa) my dad used to always mow the lawn on a Saturday!

Old holborn tobacco reminds me off my grandad leigh who is sadly no longer with us and a perfume my mum used to wear (cant think of the name) reminds me of sitting in her room while she got ready for work at the restaurant on a saturday night. :p

The smell of fresh coffee and newspapers reminds me of my dear grandad who died 3 years ago, i remember snuggling up to him of a morning whilst he read the newspapers and drank his coffee :)

The smell of cerrutti 1881 reminds me of my mum as this was the perfume she wore when i was a child :)

The smell of 'school' the only way i can describe it is the way my daughters uniform smells at the end of the day - almost a wet paint/crayon smell... reminds me of being in infant school myself :) (im almost 25 now lol)

The smell of paint reminds me of christmas, my mum used to paint all the walls in the house just before putting the christmas decorations up. i used to always know when it was nearly christmas :lol:

the smell of coal fires.....before everyone got posh & had central heating

Latest posts

Back