What to do with my worst ever nail biiter....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zingara

Reaction score
Saturday afternoon I literally got stopped in the street by a lady who'd seen the advert on my car. She asked for my card and proceeded to then show me the nails she needed 'sorting out'...beacause she 'nibbles'

Oh my god, I've seen some messes in my time but I can't possibly imagine how anyone can let their nails get in this state. The nails were no more than a mm or 2, and in some places weren't visible from swollen skin. I've tried searching for a picture for nails as bad and literally can't find one.

Now usually with a nailbiter the big question for me is do I enhance or just gentle manicure and do an NNO, but there is no way I would even overlay these nails, there just simply isn't enough nail to do so and to be honest, I'm utterly convinced that even if she managed to stop biting them, there will be some permanent damage and/or possibly infection there.

So, my question is what would you do? I ususally advcocate overlay to stop them biting, and often do it in a bright or dark colour, if they agree, so it acts as a warning to them before they put them in their mouth, but here all I can imagine doing is a very gentle manicure and advocating lashings of solar oil,,,,,but will she stop biting with that? I doubt it?

How have you guys gone about this?

The only time I have seen nails as bad as this I carried out a manicure and explained that there wasn't enough nail to work on. The lady said she would not be able to stop biting without enhancements but I stuck to my guns. I told her that if she would make the effort and return for weekly manicures I would enhance them when I felt that there was enough nail.

It took 4 weeks before I felt able to enhance them - I just know that they wouldn't have lasted on what little there was to start with and I'm pleased to say she is still with me. HTH

Oh dear.. what a problem.. I have a bad bitter ( not as bad as that) I was sure there was no way enhancements would stay and those nails.... she begged me as she was going to a wedding where the ex husband and new girlfriend would be there... she said she didn't care if they only stayed on for the night... I told her she would be lucky if they stayed that long... she said she had faith in me and to wave my magic wand......
how on earth they made it, well 8 of them, to the next weekly apt is beyond me.... but she came weekly and now she is able to come fortnightly...
I would do what Adele suggested and make her stick to a gentle manicure, plenty of CND cuticle eraser and wait until her nail bed is actually there again! Plenty of solar oil and massages to get the blood flowing..
once she sees her nails starting to grow it might just make her stop biting them
Good luck hun

I would advise manicures to start with Lyndsay!
I have had only 1 client with nails this bad, and as you say, mine had alot of dry hard skin, sort of around and on the existing nail, imho it wouldve been impossible to enhance these nails on the first appointment!
There was literally maybe 1 or 2mm of nail!

Good luck hun xxxxxxxx:hug:

These people are habitual biters - and will most def pick off enhancements.

All you can do is tidy up her cuticles, massage and hopefully she may enjoy the pampering - and want more treatments.

Explain to her - that if she can leave them a week to see how quick they can grow - and show her pics of nails and what her hands will look like - she may change her ways.

That sort of damage is borderline self harm.

Surprisingly some biters do go on to have fab strong nails due to the damage which cause them to sometimes 'thicken' Ironic really.

got a magic wand?

You've had some good advice mate :hug:

I'd say pretty much the same as everyone else, weekly mani's/lots of home care tlc until a firm bit of nail growth to be able to 'enhance' !

Most nail biters are.....once a nail biter always a nail biter! i wish you luck mate how ANYONE can do this to their nails i will NEVER know its shocking !

Amb x

Sell her your biggest bottle of Solar Oil! Hopefully giving her 'nails' some regular massage and attention will help a little.

Thanks everyone....pretty much my thoughts. We can only do our best unless we have that magic wand!

For the Creative geeks amongst you, would you go with Solar Manicure or Spa? I usually offer Spa manicure but feel Solar might be a bit more soothing and nourishing in this instance.....just wondered if you agree?

I did the Spa manicure only because I wanted her to feel really pampered and gain some pride in her hands.

I did retail her Solar oil, cuticle eraser and Solar butter for home use as well though:lol:

Hello I have just done these nails on my friend and she is a really bad nail bitter can you tell me what you think. Hope you don't mind me crashing your topic.:)
Thanx

Attachments

• S7300806.jpg
    S7300806.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 105
Job well done by the looks of things. That should discourage her from biting again!

If I could get my lady to the stage of being able to put enhancements on then it would be a triumph, but there is literally no nail on some fingers.

I do the same as Adele, Spa Manicure then retail Solar products!

Latest posts

Back