What was on her nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sax'd_out

Reaction score
Hi all!
Last night I had my first "party" eve where a group of ladies all wanted to see/hear more about my products and minx shellac etc - also did mini mani's and polish etc, anyway a couple of ladies asked me to help them remove some old acrylic nails, one set came off fine, but the other soaked for ages (I mean at least an hour maybe some fingers were nearer to 2... used cotton wool and foil method) eventually even though it didn't come off as normal it did go soft and jelly like and I was able to file the soft stuff away, but it was like rubber (it stretched:eek:), at the time I was concentrating on getting her stuff off and keeping up with everyone elses requests etc! But when I got home I wondered if it was def acrylic (which she said it was) or whether it could have been gel? - it didn't smell at all so don't think it was mma.
Oh it was a white tip with clear overlay, she got them done at local high street salon - not sure which one (there are hundreds near me!)

My curiosity won't let it go... what was it?
btw - her nails were in a horrendous state underneath - poor woman nearly cried, I felt awful even though it was not my work!

probably just a really poor quality acrylic.

it doesnt have to be mma to be rubbish. low quality products need a very rough surface to stick to, hence the state of her nails beneath.

its actually better not to remove them, but rather to thin them down and keep rebalancing with care and quality products until the damaged nail has grown out. then they can be easily removed to reveal the healthy new nail without the discomfort of months of flimsy damaged nail to cope with.

thanks angel fingers!

to be honest I wished I hadn't removed them but it was what she wanted and she'd said she was going to try and "pick them off later" so I saved her a job! I think that the orig set of nails weren't too bad (damage wise) but she had an infill and that was where most of the damage was on the nn underneath - she was asking what should she do to strengthen them and I suggested a clear nno but she didn't want anymore acrylic on (no matter that I explained that my training and CND products would not cause any more damage) so in the end I told her to try and keep a polish on (would have advised shellac)

I was just a bit shocked at the rubberyness (if that a word lol) of the product and wondered if i'd tried to soak off a gel or something!! .... it was my first encounter with other peoples nails but am sure they'll be something worse out there!

Oh they sound awful, I feel sorry for the lady having had them on! The could of possibly have been MMA, I've never seen a set of them soaked off but I know that they do take longer to (if at all)
I hope you manage to get her back on the side of enhancements with more education from you :)

probably just a really poor quality acrylic.

it doesnt have to be mma to be rubbish. low quality products need a very rough surface to stick to, hence the state of her nails beneath.

its actually better not to remove them, but rather to thin them down and keep rebalancing with care and quality products until the damaged nail has grown out. then they can be easily removed to reveal the healthy new nail without the discomfort of months of flimsy damaged nail to cope with.

I agree with Susan. Removing this stuff can do more harm than good. It is amazing what sort of products you will come across and sometimes the quality of the work clients will have put up with, sometimes for years! :green:

thanks ladies! I can't believe some people work with product like this! making it my mission to educate as many clients/people as i can lol!

Susan and I have seen a lot of this, it's widely used in Northampton, no it's not mma just a very poor grade acrylic laid down on seriously e-file trashed natural nails.
It's making me shudder to think about how she's going to keep catching the free edge on things and having these paper thin nails tear until they finally grow out.

Gosh!! After reading this and other scary MMA and LQP (low quality products) stories I'm starting to feel lucky having had a good mentor while in Japan, who advised me to use always the best quality products and well known brands despite of their price.

I'm learning lots reading your posts.
Thanks!!

Gosh!! After reading this and other scary MMA and LQP (low quality products) stories I'm starting to feel lucky having had a good mentor while in Japan, who advised me to use always the best quality products and well known brands despite of their price.

I'm learning lots reading your posts.
Thanks!!

very wise advice.
quality products are easier to use, give better results and are better for the health of the natural nail.

Latest posts

Back