What was your worst salon experience?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una-belle

Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we can share our worst salon experiences just for a laugh! So here's mine...

When I was 18 I went to a salon for a spray tan, Id had many spray tans before so knew exactly what to expect. So I went into the room got fully undressed and put on the paper knickers and hairnet, the lady comes in about to start the treatment and for some reason the machine wont work, she said shes just going to ask another lady whats happened.. 2 minutes later there's two other ladies and her in the room trying to fix the machine.. bearing in mind im still standing here naked with my paper knickers and hairnet on shivering!! (was not offered a towel / gown!!) So they finally fix the machine and she starts the spray tan, I hadn't had this lady before but presumed as a beauty therapist she knew what she was doing ..clearly not. She was spraying the gun so close to my skin that the solution was DRIPPING all down me, I didn't even want to say anything I just wanted to get out of there and cry lol! So spray tan is over I look like a complete dark mess, and this salon used sun solutions spray tan which comes out a dark red colour so not only was i very dark, I was a very dark shade of red!! As I came out of the room I looked in a mirror and as you can probably guess I was absolutely mortified not to mention there was so much spray tan solution up my nose, and we all know what that looks like!! The people in the waiting area were looking at me as if to say "oh my god what has happened to her", I was SO embarrassed! As you can imagine as soon as I got home I got straight in the shower!!

That is crazy!!!! Did you pay?
I went for my first bikini wax with my sister before we went on our holiday and the girl who did mine didn't stretch my skin she literally 'woooshed' it straight off taking with it a layer of skin!i was bruised for a few weeks! X

I had a not so nice experience with a spray tan, it was the middle of winter and I think the therapist had left her kit overnight in the car, I think I may have been her first appointment of the day and when she started spraying it was freezing to the point that it hurt lol, I actually jumped so far back I nearly took her tent with me :eek:

Now I know how my dogs feel when I get the hose on them in the back garden lol.

In my teens I went for my first manicure at a well known salon and sat there in agony as the manicurist 'pushed back my cuticles'. As I'd never had it done before I didnt realise it wasn't supposed to hurt so I sat there and sucked it up.
To this day my thumb nails are damaged due to that manicure.

I have also had dodgy experiences with bikini waxing and once ended up covered in bruises along my legs before I went on holiday - which was worse than having a fluffy bush!!!:o

My worst experience was a bikini wax, the wax was too hot and burned me. I told the girl and she said that I must be near the time of the month and was just sensitive. I told her no it wasn't and she argued with me and ripped the strip off taking goodness knows how many layers of skin. Needless to say her face changed colour when she saw the blood. I still have issues with it now. The girl worked in a Salon owned by my best friends sister so I didn't say anything cause he would've been sacked on the spot. Think she got a big enough fright to listen to the next person though.

This is the experience that made me start doing my own nails and eventually become a qualified tech.
When I was a young teen (15) I went to a training school for nail techs, they put a add in our local paper asking for models, so I rang and booked in with a friend.
The first thing they made us do was sign a form that basically said, if anything goes wrong we could not take legal action, silly us signed it, paid our measly $10 and went into the slaughter house.
I still remember the pain to this day and I walked out with only 3 L&P nails applied instead of 10 cause I couldn't stand the pain and burn anymore and just had to get out of there.

The girl filed my nails down to remove shine, till 4 had deep grooves that were red raw and I had cuts all around surrounding skin due to lack of care with the file.
I ended up with infections on nearly every finger and it took loads of doctor care and over a year to grow out the deep grooves she had filed into my nails.
I remember the girl just kept giggling and saying "oops, sorry" while she wiped the blood away with a tissue but then kept filing in the same spot.
Not once did the trainer come near us to check on what this girl was doing.
They must not have been successful anyway, as the business closed down about 1 year after opening.....thank God.
At the time I was working full time as a Funeral Director and I had to wear so many bandaids and bandages and gloves to cover all my wounds before I could do my work but about 6 months after this, I was involved in a car accident where my fingers and hands were cut up from the shattered windscreen, so I had to do the whole bandage/glove thing again, so I was well practiced by the time the 2nd incident happened:)

My poor mum was furious and did seek legal advice but silly me had signed that form, so we couldn't do anything.
My friend however, got herself a good trainee and she had a pretty good set of nails and no damage.

Sad thing is, this still happens in todays world, over 20+yrs later (now that is revealing how old I am:)

YIKES Wooshka..That is extreme and horrifying!

My worst experience was when I was about 26. I went in for my first spray tan. It was supposed to be a Mystic Tan, or so I was told. The man explained to me how to stand and how to operate the booth. I assumed it would spray me, stop so I could change position, spray me again and then dry me. After the spraying was done, I realized I was dripping with solution and had to quickly rub it in. Of course I couldn't reach my back, but coincidentally the man states, "are you ready for me to rub it in on your back?". Umm, how did he know that I needed to have it rubbed in my back? I thought it was a little eerie because he never told me that the solution had to be rubbed in. I threw on my clothes and left, spray tanning solution running down my back!

Sent from my Xoom using SalonGeek

Before I was Qualified in nails I used to get my nails done at what I now know was definitely an NSS (If only I knew what I know now!!)

It was like being on a production line - being pushed and shoved from desk to desk, different 'nail technicians' each doing a part of the 'procedure' all trying to do more than one client at once, it was horrible but I always thought "ooh this must be a good salon, it's always so busy - maybe i'm just being a bit funny"

Every time I went the same man always managed to cut my hyponychium with his nail clippers on atleast one finger (which I never once saw being washed or sanitized, something which now sends a chill up my spine!!) and when I would try to pull my hand back in pain, he would just grab it back and say "I'm not hurting you" Yes you bloody are!!

Not to mention the amount of times they used an e-file on my natural nail, they also seemed to think that the e-file was a substitute for a cuticle tidy up, opting to just file off what ever was there and not seeming to care when they caught my eponychium or the skin around my fingers either. My nails were left paper thin and in a real state, thankfully I learnt my lesson eventually and never went back to that hell hole, I can't believe I thought that this was all normal procedure!

Before I was Qualified in nails I used to get my nails done at what I now know was definitely an NSS (If only I knew what I know now!!)

It was like being on a production line - being pushed and shoved from desk to desk, different 'nail technicians' each doing a part of the 'procedure' all trying to do more than one client at once, it was horrible but I always thought "ooh this must be a good salon, it's always so busy - maybe i'm just being a bit funny"

Every time I went the same man always managed to cut my hyponychium with his nail clippers on atleast one finger (which I never once saw being washed or sanitized, something which now sends a chill up my spine!!) and when I would try to pull my hand back in pain, he would just grab it back and say "I'm not hurting you" Yes you bloody are!!

Not to mention the amount of times they used an e-file on my natural nail, they also seemed to think that the e-file was a substitute for a cuticle tidy up, opting to just file off what ever was there and not seeming to care when they caught my eponychium or the skin around my fingers either. My nails were left paper thin and in a real state, thankfully I learnt my lesson eventually and never went back to that hell hole, I can't believe I thought that this was all normal procedure!

Yes i had the same done to me as you.I was taken by a business man who wanted to see if this tech was right for his run down shop. What a cheek using me as a rabbit for testing! The tech was a man that did me to show his skills ,:rolleyes: whiped off my natural nail free edge with a drill the free edge went flying up into the air straight onto his table mat! he then removed my cuticle in the same way the cuticle flew up into the air onto his table mat.He then burnt me with the infero red lamp . I only had my baby finger done thank god my finger was covered in hello kitty:Scared::Scared::Scared: how i managed remove it was a miricle

Yes i had the same done to me as you.I was taken by a business man who wanted to see if this tech was right for his run down shop. What a cheek using me as a rabbit for testing! The tech was a man that did me to show his skills ,:rolleyes: whiped off my natural nail free edge with a drill the free edge went flying up into the air straight onto his table mat! he then removed my cuticle in the same way the cuticle flew up into the air onto his table mat.He then burnt me with the infero red lamp . I only had my baby finger done thank god my finger was covered in hello kitty:Scared::Scared::Scared: how i managed remove it was a miricle

They certainly seem to love Those E-Files lol & I always got heat spike of the lamp but they never seemed bothered or offered a solution! x

They certainly seem to love Those E-Files lol & I always got heat spike of the lamp but they never seemed bothered or offered a solution! x

I know they seem to treated nails as if your not human and humans do not feel pain shocking:eek:

That is crazy!!!! Did you pay?
I went for my first bikini wax with my sister before we went on our holiday and the girl who did mine didn't stretch my skin she literally 'woooshed' it straight off taking with it a layer of skin!i was bruised for a few weeks! X

I cant believe I did but yes I paid!! To be honest I wanted to get out of the salon as quick as possible, I was so mortified that I just wanted to get home and wash it off! I dont think I even needed to complain after the other therapists saw the state of me!!

And oh my gosh that must have been so painful! I bet that put you right off!!

YIKES Wooshka..That is extreme and horrifying!

It was and looking back on it now (and many times before) it makes me feel sick.
If I think enough about it, I can still feel the pain as if it was yesterday.
The only positive for me was, it was the turning point when I decided to start doing my own nails and although at the time I was in a totally different industry (and was for many years) I still had a passion for nails:)

Yes I agree. I had my awful experience when I was around 23 and had moved to Vancouver. I didn't know much about the salons around as we hadn't been here that long and so I went into a salon which I also now know is an NSS salon and he sat me down and just wiped the dust away from the previous girl and flipped the towel around to use the other side, grabbed a used file from his drawer, filed my nails, put the white tips on and one layer of l&p, he then began to file the sidewalls and cut every one of my fingers to the point I was also bleeding. He saw it, but didn't really seem to care. When he was done with the hand file, he put the bloody used file back in his drawer.

Agh. Anyways he then began to use a drill and was going over the same spots to often so I was in excruciating pain because of the burning. Long story short, I ended up with minor infections on each of my fingers and I did go back and showed him but again he didn't care.

All of that horridness combined with the fact that he at one point grabbed my hand and shook it viciously saying "stop shaking! Why are you shaking so much" really made me so angry. I was just being treated for Graves Disease and was waiting to go in for radiation so I shook madly and couldn't control it because of the disease. He was so rude and was an awful technician. Nails were lifted within a few days and they just looked terrible.

Need I say more?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1366416760.388309.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1366416760.388309.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 470
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1366416774.135455.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1366416774.135455.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 455
Went back twice aswel but she couldn't see the problem :/ waste of £25! She also filed down the sides so much I had dents in my natural nails for months and they were so sore! Xx

Latest posts

Back