What's going on with employment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta agree with Redstar. When I was an employed stylist, I was paid a measly basic, but made all my money with commission. Nothing motivates more than facing beans on toast as punishment for a lazy week.
Hair was always a meritocracy, the better you performed, the more you were paid. Sadly the min wage kind of levelled everyone. Rubbish staff are getting more than they deserve, while great staff are being penalised by commission systems now being less than they were.

I agree with red star - I think I am a very fair boss and the more you work the more you get paid. But the basic wage is minimum wage. I'm hoping as the salon grows and we get a better average weekly takings I can't put wages up but it will probably be a better commission scheme.

Jemima :)

Yes unfortunately cooking grape seed oil. We put in elemis bottles. It is terrible

That's disgraceful. When I purchased my hair salon they used to have L'oreal backwash shampoo bottles filled with 99p cheap crap shampoo. I ditched the lot. How can people do this. It's deception.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes unfortunately cooking grape seed oil. We put in elemis bottles. It is terrible

Ha this sounds like where I used to work. £60 for a full body massage using tesco grapeseed oil, being performed by a therapist that has been in house trained in massage. The things we had to do to get by when we ran out of stock! Using pebbles as crystals because they double booked, re using dirty mitts as laundry had gone home, I think I've gone off topic lol

I employ one part time therapist who is at college, she started with me on her level 3 placement and I kept her on. I give her £7 an hour which I will put up if she makes targets by Xmas time as she is finishing college at the end of the month. As an employer it's difficult to motivate staff to gain clientele. Also after wages and overheads I don't a really make much per hour off her, especially when she's not busy!!! So I'm starting to wonder if its worth employing someone?? Although it allows for me to have a day off.

The hair salon next door to me has been advertising for an apprentice for weeks and has had NO applicants, and she is one of the best hairdressers in the area.

I'm newly qualified at level 2 - I'm 41 years old and have 24 years experience in the civil service. I care what I do and I've worked really hard this year balancing a full time job, 2 nights at college, setting up mobile business and running a home still - I'm so passionate about my new career that I just keep pushing myself.

I've been in to college today to hand in my file and had my first experience of full-time beauty students - SUCH A POOR ATTITUDE. They have left everything to last minute, they hate clients and having to do treatments. They will get the same pass as me because the college make sure they get through. I think the VTCT courses should be graded pass, merit and distinction. I'm also surprised how many people have passed on the minimum range - I got people in because I wanted to perfect my skills, I have done mobile treatments for cheap to get more experience. I have to agree with some of the comments on her - colleges do pass people who really should fail because they have a quota to reach. It surely give the college a bad name (from employers point of view) and the industry as a whole. :(

I've been in to college today to hand in my file and had my first experience of full-time beauty students - SUCH A POOR ATTITUDE. They have left everything to last minute, they hate clients and having to do treatments. They will get the same pass as me because the college make sure they get through. I think the VTCT courses should be graded pass, merit and distinction. I'm also surprised how many people have passed on the minimum range - I got people in because I wanted to perfect my skills, I have done mobile treatments for cheap to get more experience. I have to agree with some of the comments on her - colleges do pass people who really should fail because they have a quota to reach. It surely give the college a bad name (from employers point of view) and the industry as a whole. :(

I HATED the fact that I booked three clients in EVERY week in my VTCT night classes, which meant I had to get in early to set up and was always the last out at the end of the night, just to cover the range (believing that when they said "you have to complete all categories to pass" that they meant it!); While some other students passed despite NEVER having done an outside client!! They passed the minimum range working on other students!

:mad:

On the plus side, when I went out and got a job in a salon, I wasn't petrified of meeting/greeting clients, I knew the introductory spiel and aftercare advice inside out and didn't act weird carrying out treatments on people I didn't know ;)

Last edited:
I don't want to go off topic but personally I don't think colleges are strict enough. I wish I could go back and redo both my Level 2 and 3 courses. We were never really taught our theory we were just given handouts and worksheets to complete. Nothing was really explained and when it came to assessing we were working on each other most of the time as our tutor liked it that way, she didn't like us having clients. I'm now unemployed and struggling to get into beauty mainly because I have no experience but I'm also not entirely confident in myself or my work. It's such a shame hearing people don't want to work weekends or want more than minimum wage as I love Beauty and want nothing more than to be in salon doing want I love.

Ha this sounds like where I used to work. £60 for a full body massage using tesco grapeseed oil, being performed by a therapist that has been in house trained in massage. The things we had to do to get by when we ran out of stock! Using pebbles as crystals because they double booked, re using dirty mitts as laundry had gone home, I think I've gone off topic lol

Yep, water in Elemis toner bottles and table salt used as facial exfoliator! Horrendous!

It shouldn't all be about money but there are bills to pay unfortunately.

What do you mean supearket oil??? As in like cooking oil that u would cook chips in?? 😬

Can I just say that there's nothing wrong with using grape seed oil for massage, it's a carrier oil.
As long as your not putting it in elemis bottles or saying it's something else, it's fine.
Its a perfectly good oil for Swedish, even if other uses for it are in cooking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Can I just say that there's nothing wrong with using grape seed oil for massage, it's a carrier oil.
As long as your not putting it in elemis bottles or saying it's something else, it's fine.
Its a perfectly good oil for Swedish, even if other uses for it are in cooking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ermmmm.. There was actually no mention of what oil it was if you read the thread back! I thought she meant like sunflower oil! I didn't know you could buy Grapeseed oil from the supermarket!!! I use Grapeseed oil during my massages thank you.. I just thought when she did they buy oil from the supermarket that she meant the oil you fry chips in!! I wouldn't fry my chips in Grapeseed oil anyway...

Ermmmm.. There was actually no mention of what oil it was if you read the thread back! I thought she meant like sunflower oil! I didn't know you could buy Grapeseed oil from the supermarket!!! I use Grapeseed oil during my massages thank you.. I just thought when she did they buy oil from the supermarket that she meant the oil you fry chips in!! I wouldn't fry my chips in Grapeseed oil anyway...

Sorry I think I quoted the wrong person :)
Grapeseed was mentioned somewhere, but no I can't imagine cooking with it! X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm just finishing college I'm 27 I would be happy to start a position in a salon for minimum wage. You wouldn't go to an interview in any other industry and expect to start at the top. But in regards to working Saturdays I know that this is part of the normal working week for a salon I wouldn't be able to do Saturdays because of child care.
I'm sure you will find your perfect therapist soon I just think problem is nowadays no one wants to work hard - my husband is having the same problem with finding staff to work in his restaurant.

Hi, Just read post regarding employment. I am a newly qualified beauty therapist seeking a job and am extremely confident in massage ( aromatherapy, hot stone and Swedish). Feel free to contact me regarding any full time employment opportunities.

Hi, Just read post regarding employment. I am a newly qualified beauty therapist seeking a job and am extremely confident in massage ( aromatherapy, hot stone and Swedish). Feel free to contact me regarding any full time employment opportunities.

I definitely would give you an interview and take you on, if you don't mind a very long commute ;)

Two interviews today, one at 11 and one at 3, neither turned up!!!!

Just read you post and it was like reading my diary, if I had one. I've just been trying to replace 2 good full time therapists and the only experienced therapist who applied for the job rang and left a message on reception just 24 hours before her first day to say she was taking a job closer to home. Another girl never returned my calls after her interview at all. I've ended up employing 2 new girls with less than a years experience each who are going to need a lot of extra training and help. Where are all the experienced therapists?:eek:

This really saddens me, I just qualified and have spent weeks sending my CV to every salon and spa in a 15 mile radius, I had two replies stating there were no positions but thanks for the interest and 1 thankfully offering a telephone interview, I'm over the moon someone would even consider a 28 year old mum of 3 whose background mostly lies in telesales. I would work any hours offered and juggle child care accordingly. Why are people just throwing away opportunity? Especially when there are many who would jump at the chance to get beyond the application stage. I can't imagine the exasperation you must be feeling. I'm sure your next therapist is there and all this messing around will seem a distant memory. Good luck

Latest posts

Back