What's going on with employment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I find baffling is that anyone would ever want to work for someone else in a salon. The work is hard and the pay is pittance. The hours are usually rubbish too as like you say, you're expected to work Saturdays and some days are really long from what I've read on this site.

Maybe that's why you're getting rubbish candidates. Anyone with a bit of intelligence would surely be working for themselves. What's the minimum wage these days? Is it £6.30 or something laughable? I make 3 times that in an hour working for myself including overheads and I get to choose my own sociable hours.

I think maybe most therapists have realised that working for someone else isn't very lucrative.

You could say the same thing for thousands of different trades, what's that saying - "you'll never get rich working for someone else", however, an awful lot of people like the stability of a regular wage, paid holidays and other benefits, that doesn't mean they're not good at what they do, or unintelligent.

However saying that, I'm finding it hard to find them!!

I earn great money- I go home and switch off and have no stress, I'm guaranteed a regular healthy wage, I get thousands of pounds worth of free training and when I want to I can move around like we've just relocated- let's call it low commitment :)

My CV is amazing and I've been lucky in getting all the experience I have, I'm selective on where I move, and my career steps are very tactical. I don't wish to work for myself, I never have.

My ad was absolutely fine but thank you for your advise.

As far as I'm concerned, you want full time work as a beauty therapist, you've got to work the busiest day Of the week.

Don't take offence Hun, your post was about people not being proactive. I read it as you are attracting the wrong sort of people from those you want to employ, there are lots of brilliant people out there it just finding the right one.

I earn great money- I go home and switch off and have no stress, I'm guaranteed a regular healthy wage, I get thousands of pounds worth of free training and when I want to I can move around like we've just relocated- let's call it low commitment :)

My CV is amazing and I've been lucky in getting all the experience I have, I'm selective on where I move, and my career steps are very tactical. I don't wish to work for myself, I never have.

Well that's great. You can't be on minimum wage then. Is it the commission that's making your pay packet fuller or are you on a really good rate? You sound like you have a brilliant employer.

personally love my new job at a salon. paid fairly, company benefits, working in a team, no stress of constant calls and texts of fit me in please, comfortable, stable and excellent training opportunities. You need someone who has been in a rubbish job that's why I love my new one! You need a therapist to appreciate her role x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

SE isn't for everyone. There wouldn't be so many employed people if it was as simple as earning 3 x the amount of an employed position.

It's a shame when people undervalue employed positions.

Plus it's not all about money, everyone has different motivators and as often as money is the top motivator for some, there are people who are motivated by job security and structure over money.

I would presume all full time positions in the hair and beauty industry include evenings and weekends to some extent, I make a point at interview to get that out there, and overtime is part of the job, which may be in short notice - it is part of the job.

Im sure the right person is just around the corner and you are holding out for the right person.

Jemima :)

Maybe you need to "poach" someone. :o

Funny enough me and my girlfriend were talking yesterday about SE vs Employed and how it suits different people.

She was saying how I never used to last too long working for other people and have always been happier working for myself even through the bad times.

She's currently at university but she is definately the opposite to me. She likes structure and regular money and as much as I do to, I always strive and live for the risk of self employment ;)

Horses for courses.

Well that's great. You can't be on minimum wage then. Is it the commission that's making your pay packet fuller or are you on a really good rate? You sound like you have a brilliant employer.

I haven't been on minimum wage since I was an apprentice, the salon I worked in the stylists earnt a ton. I'll never forget their advice- the potential to earn good money in hairdressing is there.

And yes I do have a brilliant employer- always have! If I had a crap one I wouldn't be in that job.

When people post about not getting paid, being over worked, under valued- don't work there - go find someone who will value you like all these people look for employee!

Maybe you need to "poach" someone. :o

Don't think I haven't thought about it :)

Maybe I should go to other salons, have some lovely relaxing treatments and when I find the right person, get them in the room on their own and convince them they'd be better off with me :wink2:

Head hunting is one thing poaching someone is another , HONESTLY if you could not work a sat , you would be no good to my salon. I agree most people i have interviewed are a joke, either they have been on short courses and expect the world (a small minority), or they are fresh out of college and wont £10 + an hour, no sat and at least 50 min to do a shellac polish, or 30 min to do brow shape and tint. I had 1 person explain to me at an interview if a treatment time overlapped her working hours she would just have to leave, as she has mobile clients !!!! personally i think the whole industry has turned into a joke, but all my staff seem to be from juniors i have had from sat jobs and trained them up from college.Good luck but i think you may be better off looking for students and training them from scratch, it is time consuming and a financial drain,but my head therapist was my first sat girl at age 14, she is 26 now and earns me 5 times plus her wages,the investment was worth it. Sorry this wont help your situation now,but is something to consider for the future.

Where is your salon based?

I would love to work in a salon, but being an older though quite newly qualified therapist/nail tech, not many people want to know. I also understand that weekends and late nights are a pre-requisite for a salon job, but as I work full time in the day and mobile evenings and weekends, it wouldnt make any difference to me at all!!
So if anyone is reading this and would like to give me a chance - feel free!!! :)
x

A barber in my area has been advertising for months. He gets people turning up because the jobcentre make them and they will lose their benefits if they don't go. They then make so many demands that he wouldn't employ them anyway.

The attitude of some people these days shocks me. I had someone helping me once who committed to a large wedding booking weeks in advance and I was paying her well. She then let me down 35 minutes before the booking. I really need extra help but since then cannot trust anyone so I end up working flat out as all my lovely beauty friends are employed!

Good luck in your search.

Carly @ Beauticles

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to work in a salon, but being an older though quite newly qualified therapist/nail tech, not many people want to know. I also understand that weekends and late nights are a pre-requisite for a salon job, but as I work full time in the day and mobile evenings and weekends, it wouldnt make any difference to me at all!!
So if anyone is reading this and would like to give me a chance - feel free!!! :)
x[/QUOTE

I agree I'm 33 and would love to work in a salon but not sure anyone would want me a) because of my age and b) because I have always worked for myself around my family so don't have any salon experience. It's not about the money, I would just like to broaden my horizons and be part of a team for a change. Xx

Id employ someone older and less experienced :) aslong as you are good at what you do who cares! Everyone who has worked for me hasn't had much salon experience I like it that way.

Good luck ladies xx

Jemima :)

I think from an employed persons opinion, being paid just above minimum wage, having to work bank holidays with no extra holiday or pay, working back to back with 4 hours massage I think the industry is a joke. I work two full weekends a month includes a sunday. Using super market oil to massage and charging full price. Terrible. Jobs are few and far between. 😊

I think from an employed persons opinion, being paid just above minimum wage, having to work bank holidays with no extra holiday or pay, working back to back with 4 hours massage I think the industry is a joke. I work two full weekends a month includes a sunday. Using super market oil to massage and charging full price. Terrible. Jobs are few and far between. 😊

What do you mean supearket oil??? As in like cooking oil that u would cook chips in?? 😬

Can I just stand up for the Employer for a moment........Not all of us are greedy and mean :(
Minimum wage might seem a pittance to some, but when you are responsible for paying it, week in week out, regardless of how much money that stylist/therapist, might or might not of taken for you, then perhaps you would understand why some businesses cannot afford to offer more. (not forgetting holiday pay)
Many years ago when I was an employee, (before minimum wage), the norm was to be guarenteed a very small 'retainer' as a wage. This was also what you would receive when taking your holidays. However, the incentive used to get us motivated, was HIGH COMMISSION. :p
As such, you would work hard to gain regular, loyal clients that loved you, and would return to you.
This was great for the client's, consistant quality work, produced by a HAPPY HAIRDRESSER :D.
A VERY happy salon owner, as the stylist's were keen and busy :biggrin:
Great for the stylist, as they not only earnt excellent money, but had JOB SATISFACTION.:lol:

It shouldn't be all about the money folks. So much of our time is spent in the work place.
I believe minimum wage is one of the main problems in this industry, as salon owners are now unable to offer the high commision rates, the motivator, the reward, the incentive to build your column, and say when you get your pay, WOW, look at how well I've done this month!

Latest posts

Back