What's the most annoying client you've had?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 clients (mum & daughter) Teat I was starting to dread going to as the daughter was really mardy & the mum really bossy but after a few appointments they started having their appointments separately & now they are lovely. I used to dread them being in but not now

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I had one lady lie on my couch for a full leg and bikini and then query my price - when I told her she told me she couldn't afford it!! I told her I've a mortgage to pay I couldn't do it for less? She then told me that an exclusive salon down the road was cheaper than me and rang them whilst in my room and booked an appointment!!!!
People!!!! When I rang the salon later and asked for the price of the treatment they told me and it wasn't cheaper it was loads more!!!some people!!!!

What? Omg what a muppet. lol

I have 2 clients (mum & daughter) Teat I was starting to dread going to as the daughter was really mardy & the mum really bossy but after a few appointments they started having their appointments separately & now they are lovely. I used to dread them being in but not now

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Glad the situation has improved.

Mardy - lol, I haven't heard that word in ages. I come from North Notts originally and my mum used to say it a lot. Made me smile anyway. :biggrin:

It rant time!
I have a home salon & have a couple of clients that live really close by, that think I clearly have nothing better to do with my life than work (which I don't, but they don't need to know that!) one of them will try ringing me & if I don't answer she'll walk down & see if my car's outside!
The other is booked in for 10.30 today & just text me 'are you around now if I wander down?' I don't just give out appointment times for fun!!

Rant over 😊

I work fully mobile doing hair, so dont have a home salon etc for apt and this is clearly stated on my website and when client contact me to book.

One woman recently took it upon herself to try and invite herself round to my house on several occasions to do her wedding trial on NEW YEARS EVE even though I told her i was fully booked and i only worked MOBILE!!!

I have a few clients that drive me mad....always late and think thay are the only client I do.best is thay don't work.
Also when clients file or clip there own nails...that's what your paying me for!
When thay bring the world and mother along to the salon for a eyebrow wax....see them all clambering out the car, buggies car seats oh don't forget the Zimmer frame for granny lol to myself

The world is full of crazy people. Apart from those clients who try to lower your prices, there are the ones who know it all better, then there are those who ask confusing questions (eg, when needing their hair extensions, done by someone else, refitted and I quote them my price, they'll ask, 'do you provide the hair?', so I need to make sure to explain that this is the price for refitting, and if any hair is needed, the price will be higher. It always ends with them huffing and puffing), the ones who ask inappropriate personal questions ('Did you move here with your family?'-'No.'-'Where is your family?'-'Not here.'-'Do you see your family often?'-'Yes, in my nightmares.'-'So where IS your family?'-'Deceased.'), and the ones who are never happy with anything you do.
I did a girl's color the other day using one of the Wella Illumina techniques and she didn't like the fact the color wasn't 'even', because she likes it all to be 'one color', although she didn't say that was what she wanted in the beginning. She also suffered from hair loss, but still had about twice as much hair as myself (and I don't have thin hair), yet kept referring to her hair as 'omg it's sooooo thin'. Well that's not my fault now, is it?
On a personal level, I hate it when people make you guess their age. I usually say what I think or even add a year or two when I'm particularly annoyed. A 24 year old was 'surprised' I didn't think she was seventeen, and that after telling me she'd been working in a bank for 4 years after her uni degree. Honestly! :rolleyes:
The worst client I've ever had though was an older lady with hair extensions and extremely damaged bleached hair who's been banned from several salons due to her erratic behavior. She forever sought to get a discount, was never happy, it would take me 4 hours to do what I normally do in 1.5 hours, and she had the cheek to ask me for 'something to remove my extensions' on Christmas eve. Needless to say, her number has been blocked.

The world is full of crazy people. Apart from those clients who try to lower your prices, there are the ones who know it all better, then there are those who ask confusing questions (eg, when needing their hair extensions, done by someone else, refitted and I quote them my price, they'll ask, 'do you provide the hair?', so I need to make sure to explain that this is the price for refitting, and if any hair is needed, the price will be higher. It always ends with them huffing and puffing), the ones who ask inappropriate personal questions ('Did you move here with your family?'-'No.'-'Where is your family?'-'Not here.'-'Do you see your family often?'-'Yes, in my nightmares.'-'So where IS your family?'-'Deceased.'), and the ones who are never happy with anything you do.
I did a girl's color the other day using one of the Wella Illumina techniques and she didn't like the fact the color wasn't 'even', because she likes it all to be 'one color', although she didn't say that was what she wanted in the beginning. She also suffered from hair loss, but still had about twice as much hair as myself (and I don't have thin hair), yet kept referring to her hair as 'omg it's sooooo thin'. Well that's not my fault now, is it?
On a personal level, I hate it when people make you guess their age. I usually say what I think or even add a year or two when I'm particularly annoyed. A 24 year old was 'surprised' I didn't think she was seventeen, and that after telling me she'd been working in a bank for 4 years after her uni degree. Honestly! :rolleyes:
The worst client I've ever had though was an older lady with hair extensions and extremely damaged bleached hair who's been banned from several salons due to her erratic behavior. She forever sought to get a discount, was never happy, it would take me 4 hours to do what I normally do in 1.5 hours, and she had the cheek to ask me for 'something to remove my extensions' on Christmas eve. Needless to say, her number has been blocked.

Whereabouts are you? I used to do a woman's hair mobile who was exactly like that, she was banned from loads of salons and I ended up refusing to go in the end!x

Whereabouts are you? I used to do a woman's hair mobile who was exactly like that, she was banned from loads of salons and I ended up refusing to go in the end!x

I'm in London, it could be the same person but then again there are quite a few people who are like that. She used to faff about all the time, shaking her head, grimacing uncontrollably, shouting on the phone etc. I'm really patient and all that, but if people want a psychiatric consultation together with their hair treatments, they're gonna have to pay extra lol!

I'm still in nail school but I'm getting annoyed with girls that think I can remove their buff off gel nails in record time for free. They have to pay the college for any service and they don't realize how long it takes to do such a thing by hand.

Recently had a client call about 8 times wanting an hd brow consultation over the phone asking if she would get a good result as she doesn't have much brow, I said it's really hard to say as it depends on what your aim is and what you have to start with. I said you will really need to pop in and we can discuss it further. She then insisted in calling me on a daily basis asking the same question including Christmas eve aaahhh I said I am really sorry as I have explained before unless you Skype me I can't tell over the phone, to which she replied your head is so far up your Axxx you don't care about your business or clients if you did you would tell me what my brows would look like after having it down hahaha ok sorry I'm not a wizard :D

I have a client which I love to bits but she is a real energy stealer! Everything is negative, her glass is always half empty, I've given up saying "hi how are you?" I work from home and if I see my client pull up I will open the door for when they arrive. This client will start her rant about how hard done by she is from the top of my driveway, lol!! I did once say to her, " if you look for the negative in everything, you're going to find it!!" She agreed!! Ha ha.

I don't mind really, bless her but she also tells me every time she goes to pay that she has found her treatments elsewhere cheaper, (i actually looked at this certain salons price list and she would paid £20 more), that its taken her several hours of work to pay me, oh and once she threw the money at me!!

I must admit, I do have to mentally prepare myself for her sometimes.

I have a client which I love to bits but she is a real energy stealer! Everything is negative, her glass is always half empty, I've given up saying "hi how are you?" I work from home and if I see my client pull up I will open the door for when they arrive. This client will start her rant about how hard done by she is from the top of my driveway, lol!! I did once say to her, " if you look for the negative in everything, you're going to find it!!" She agreed!! Ha ha.

I don't mind really, bless her but she also tells me every time she goes to pay that she has found her treatments elsewhere cheaper, (i actually looked at this certain salons price list and she would paid £20 more), that its taken her several hours of work to pay me, oh and once she threw the money at me!!

I must admit, I do have to mentally prepare myself for her sometimes.

I had a lady very similar to this (hair related) in regards to paying and the best of it was she was my best friend.... She had very thick hair, full head highlights x2 colours and and all over throughout, cut and style... Took hours as she has so much and I only charged her a fraction of my prices, she felt it was too much as I'm using her elec and water and cuppa etc, I said we'll I'm happy to do it at mine, so you can use petrol but you would going to a salon, but I couldn't reduce her hair any further as my friends with shorter hair would have to have theirs reduced and then it would be that cheap I'd be making a loss etc, (she got over 50% off) so after quite a few times of having this discussion it was beginning to get me down, never thanking me for a good job, never seeming to be happy, always wanting everything for nothing, so in the end I advised her that our friendship was more important to me than her money so if she can get the same job just a good or better for cheaper then be my guest, she refused first and then again same thing over and over so I refused to do her hair to allow her to see just how cheap she was getting her hair for.... Done well.... She went a couple places and then asked me to do her hair again after a few months not finding anywhere good enough, so again I started doing her hair, her price never changed in 5 years and after a few months it started again, so I refused! I no longer do her hair!

Since having the shop she now keeps messaging every so often saying she hates to ask but is super skint but wants a proper colour as box dyes are ruining her hair (she couldn't find anyone cheap enough so begun doing herself being surprised her hair was feeling dry etc) and how much would I charge her... I tell her my actual price and apply the same rate all my other friends save on..... This is too much maybe next time.... So we're stuck in that circle.

I learnt the hard way not to let people take you for advantage, because they will :(

Best of all she used to do my nails at full price lol... I never got discounted! But she expected to be lol.

I had a lady very similar to this (hair related) in regards to paying and the best of it was she was my best friend.... She had very thick hair, full head highlights x2 colours and and all over throughout, cut and style... Took hours as she has so much and I only charged her a fraction of my prices, she felt it was too much as I'm using her elec and water and cuppa etc, I said we'll I'm happy to do it at mine, so you can use petrol but you would going to a salon, but I couldn't reduce her hair any further as my friends with shorter hair would have to have theirs reduced and then it would be that cheap I'd be making a loss etc, (she got over 50% off) so after quite a few times of having this discussion it was beginning to get me down, never thanking me for a good job, never seeming to be happy, always wanting everything for nothing, so in the end I advised her that our friendship was more important to me than her money so if she can get the same job just a good or better for cheaper then be my guest, she refused first and then again same thing over and over so I refused to do her hair to allow her to see just how cheap she was getting her hair for.... Done well.... She went a couple places and then asked me to do her hair again after a few months not finding anywhere good enough, so again I started doing her hair, her price never changed in 5 years and after a few months it started again, so I refused! I no longer do her hair!

Since having the shop she now keeps messaging every so often saying she hates to ask but is super skint but wants a proper colour as box dyes are ruining her hair (she couldn't find anyone cheap enough so begun doing herself being surprised her hair was feeling dry etc) and how much would I charge her... I tell her my actual price and apply the same rate all my other friends save on..... This is too much maybe next time.... So we're stuck in that circle.

I learnt the hard way not to let people take you for advantage, because they will :(

Best of all she used to do my nails at full price lol... I never got discounted! But she expected to be lol.

My mum has a friend similar who's hair I do. While training I only charged her for the tube of colour I used. I then put my price up and she didn't want to pay so started with box colours. She then decided she didn't like the look after years of use (outing through to the ends) and wanted to go back to what I used on her.
I explained I had to lift the ends to get them similar to the final colour because of build up etc... And gave her a silly low price (I knew she was being made redundant and because of that would struggle for a while so thought the best I can do is reduce it a bit for her). She said it was too expensive and she would find it cheaper in a salon, so I invited her to be my guest and ask about. A week later she booked me, I charged £50 for the colour with cut and blow, and quite obviously it was well over £100 in other places. Now iv not heard off her in a long time and won't be doing that price next time. Xoxo

I have a client, over time she has become a " friend" or so I thought. I met her when I was offering lashes for £30 in an attempt to get new customers in.
She is a so single mum of two kids aged 14 and 17, and has help from the government with her rent, bills etc. I do her a good discount on my treatments usually 50% so I don't make much and her house is bit chaotic so it's never a relaxing treatment session and it usually takes double the time due to all the distractions. She has lash extensions and l&p which I have replaced so many times for free ( yes now realising what a mug I am) cos they have lifted / pinged off etc ( wasn't sure if it was me it the product) hence replaced for free.-- now realised its her!!!!

Anyway, did a full set of nails on her just before Xmas, again a good discount with loads of nail art - when she then proceeds to tell me how much she's bought her kids for Xmas. Having added it up in my head I totalled it to be £600 on each kid!!!!
As you can imagine I've spent hours of my time to help a mate, I work all the hours god sends - doing other jobs not just beauty, and don't even make that a month sometimes and on hearing this I was fuming.
No wonder she's not got much money to pay me full price - I think things will be changing in the new year!!!!'n

The worst clients are ones who think we can perform miracles. They are usually people who have been given a gift voucher, not used it until a week before it is due to expire and then rung up for a facial that "will actually do something because all the facials I have had before didnt do anything at all".
They come in and they have had all of three facials in their life, all from gift vouchers, use cheap supermarket cream and nothing else for their skin and then they expect you to perform a full face lift and time travel back to a time when they were twenty on their sun ravaged, starved of attention skin.
They never buy what you recomend even though you are just desperate for their skin to actually get some attention regardless of the sale. Then they say it doesnt feel different and start hinting at a refund for a voucher they never paid for and sat on for a year. Grrrrrr.
I know make sure I use a really good exfoliant to remove that crust of dead skin they always have so there is no way they can say it feels the same. Scrub-a-dub-dub LOL.

Can I just add to this thread, it is my personal opinion that I would not slate any of my clients here on the World Wide Web, so I dislike threads like this.

It doesn't break any rules but it is not Biz, just sadly staff room chat so I am moving it to Chit Chat.

What I will say though, that professionals that we are who post here, this is an open site and anyone can view it...even our clients.
If you Google any beauty or nail problem these days a thread from Salon Geek will get brought up and that brings a lot of traffic to the site who then read through a lot more than their initial enquiry......see what I am saying?

A lot of you have business names as your user ID, on the full web page your profile has your proper name if you have put it in and your location, in other words you can be identified. Some of the detail posted here about these so called problem clients also will make them very identifiable!

Think on geek, maybe no legal letters would get served through this, but maybe some of these clients would have other more immediate methods of reprisal against you :eek:

Can I just add to this thread, it is my personal opinion that I would not slate any of my clients here on the World Wide Web, so I dislike threads like this.

It doesn't break any rules but it is not Biz, just sadly staff room chat so I am moving it to Chit Chat.

What I will say though, that professionals that we are who post here, this is an open site and anyone can view it...even our clients.
If you Google any beauty or nail problem these days a thread from Salon Geek will get brought up and that brings a lot of traffic to the site who then read through a lot more than their initial enquiry......see what I am saying?

A lot of you have business names as your user ID, on the full web page your profile has your proper name if you have put it in and your location, in other words you can be identified. Some of the detail posted here about these so called problem clients also will make them very identifiable!

Think on geek, maybe no legal letters would get served through this, but maybe some of these clients would have other more immediate methods of reprisal against you :eek:

I agree with this, I refused to comment for ages due to the feel of slating and have much worse i could share but that would be slating... the only one I added is my friend partly, who knows lol. We're still friends I just no longer do her hair.

It is a very right on the edge thread that if some are not careful can lead to some very unhappy customers/ex customers :(

Be careful with wording and how you portray someone I would say x

I agree with this, I refused to comment for ages due to the feel of slating and have much worse i could share but that would be slating... the only one I added is my friend partly, who knows lol. We're still friends I just no longer do her hair.

It is a very right on the edge thread that if some are not careful can lead to some very unhappy customers/ex customers :(

Be careful with wording and how you portray someone I would say x

I commented to this effect earlier in thread. Clients can be pains sometimes but where would we be without them?

I commented to this effect earlier in thread. Clients can be pains sometimes but where would we be without them?

Well that's so true isn't, I think Lynn put in this one (could have been yourself) about seeing their 'annoyances' (using the term loosely) as quirks, because without them, we wouldn't be here :) it's so true!

I live by the rule, treat others the way you wish them to treat you, imagine a thread popping up 'most annoying hairdressers' and you pop up (I'm hoping I wouldn't but aren't these people hoping the same here?) I wouldn't be happy :(

Maybe the following poster's could adapt it and think 'hard work, but worth it?' Rather than a rant off. :) just an idea maybe :)

Latest posts

Back