What's the most daunting thing you've ever done?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Rose

Reaction score
Myself & my business partner put in an offer last week to rent a shop on our local high street. If it gets accepted & we pluck up the courage to actually go through with it, it will be a HUGE undertaking but is something we've been wanting to do for ages.

By huge, I mean the thoughts of the overheads are enough to give even the bravest of peeps some sleepless nights about whether to do it or not.

But what is it they say? "Feel the fear & do it anyway!"

So, what is the most daunting thing you've ever done or about to do?

I dont know about opening a shop but I climbed Crib Goch in Wales.. and me scared of heights. :Scared: Mind you I was kinda coerced (bullied) into it.

Managed it without breaking anything though (but the seat of my trousers which I ripped on a stone :o)

Other than that, let me just say.. its hard to walk away from a marriage but sometimes it has to be done. That was daunting and very scary but Im the happier for it. :D

God I am one of these silly women who always feel the need to push the boundaries! Iv done alsorts from jump out of helicopters on the end of a bungee, to living in a car in the australian outback for 3 weeks!
I would say one of the most scary, although not for me, more for my poor parents, was to decide at the age of 17, that I was going to move to Australia with a bloke I had met just 8 weeks previously! We had met but he was due to move to oz with 4 of his friends. I decided to tag along!
20 years later we are together, married for 12 years with 2 kids.
I always say go for it, whatever THAT is!

Living on the edge has always been my motto...although as of late i am more esensible than i used to be.:)

Gone are the days when i danced in a fountain in Rome topless,got carted off by the police and let off with a caution...travelled throughout europe with no food and no shelter,and no respect for myself!

Pushing the boundatries though like cabinkel said,is something that some of us have,others would like to have,an the rest would not dare....i have always been one that has dared,,,,and then taken the consequences....some of us live for the drama,maybe i am just one of them:eek:

I don't think I've done HUGE things like jump out of helicopters or dance naked in a fountain or open a shop in a high street.

but.....

I think that I'm up for most challenges that come my way. If someone asks me to do something in business, I agree, put the phone down and then think "shhhhiiiiiit how am I gonna do that" then do it!

One of my biggest accomplishments was being a guest speaker at an AGM in London and spoke infront of about 80 people.

I moved to Cardiff to go to college and had to find a place to live and start a new college and find it!

when I first passed my driving test and had the love of my life (K reg mini called Daisy), I would get up on a saturday morning, pick up some friends and ask "where shall we go today?" and just do it for the experience of driving somewhere new.

I drove to Glastonbury festival in the same car, without a map or instructions and got there in once piece. One year I even got up on the stage and danced with some idols (until I got thrown off of course).

I don't think I've done HUGE things like jump out of helicopters or dance naked in a fountain or open a shop in a high street.

but.....

I think that I'm up for most challenges that come my way. If someone asks me to do something in business, I agree, put the phone down and then think "shhhhiiiiiit how am I gonna do that" then do it!

One of my biggest accomplishments was being a guest speaker at an AGM in London and spoke infront of about 80 people.

I moved to Cardiff to go to college and had to find a place to live and start a new college and find it!

when I first passed my driving test and had the love of my life (K reg mini called Daisy), I would get up on a saturday morning, pick up some friends and ask "where shall we go today?" and just do it for the experience of driving somewhere new.

I drove to Glastonbury festival in the same car, without a map or instructions and got there in once piece. One year I even got up on the stage and danced with some idols (until I got thrown off of course).

Hun I LOVE your name :D:D:D

I think what you are doing is great and i think with business you do sometimes just have to take your chances but also not be reckless or sometimes just plain stupid.
Be completely realistic about how good you are because in beauty,nails and hair you can't bluff it, your work is there for all to see.

Last edited:
I think what you are doing is great and i think with business you do sometimes just have to take your chances but also not be reckless or sometimes just plain stupid.
Be completely realistic about how good you are because in beauty,nails and hair you can't bluff it, your work is there for all to see.

So true. I'd only just turned 20 when I first opened my salon & I've been open for nearly 18 years. I suppose at the time it must have been pretty daunting for me, but this shop that I may be opening is in a non-beauty field so is waaaay out of my comfort zone.

I think it does us all good though to get out of our comfort zones & push ourselves every so often.

Well, passed my driving test on the Friday, and drove from Germany to England on the Saturday, just me and baby.
Sold my house at auction in Belgium, rented a house in England and from start to finish, packing up, moving, unpacking and putting the xmas tree up in the new place took me 6 weeks.
I didn't think it was daunting when I did it, but I'm a bit older and dare I say it, wiser these days:lol:

So, what is the most daunting thing you've ever done or about to do?

mmm now let me see....I once had the audacity to say "no" to my wife....ive lived to regret it ever since :eek::lol::lol::lol:

mmm now let me see....I once had the audacity to say "no" to my wife....ive lived to regret it ever since :eek::lol::lol::lol:

I may live to regret this...but what did you say no to? :eek: :wink2:

I don't know what I have done that has been the most daunting thing...
Either I have done nothing...or too many things that I am struggling to think of anything!

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't know what I have done that has been the most daunting thing...
Either I have done nothing...or too many things that I am struggling to think of anything!

Oh come on now you "done" the washing up last night :eek::lol::lol:

Oh come on now you "done" the washing up last night :eek::lol::lol:

Did I HELL :smack:

I have children for menial jobs like that...:lol:

I could say doing my Foundation Course with Gigi was pretty daunting...lovely as Gigi is...all I knew before I met her was she was GEEG :eek:
A bit like having the Queen teach you about the Monarchy :lol:

One of my most daunting things was being entered into nail competitions when i'd only been doing nails for 2 months.... and then having to try to be as good in the national competition as I came 1st place in the regional (talk about pressure! I nearly passed out waiting for the results! :eek:)

Businesswise, I think the most daunting thing I have done (am actually in the process of doing right now) is to take on many of the Nail Tech schools in my province for teaching incorrect information regarding l&p enhancements.

It started with just one school and when I didn't get the results I was looking for, I went right to the cosmetology association that governs the industry here.

It sounds like I am going to be getting some results very, very soon as the association is backing me up 100% on this. The scary part is that I may be making the educators here very, very angry as they may not appreciate being told they are wrong. I am hoping that they will look at this as a learning experience and embrace the education and knowledge I want to share. Regardless, they will understand that it is against the competition laws of Canada to mislead or misrepresent products for gain.

The association has a workshop every year for the school owners/directors to attend and go over course curriculum, etc, as each school must be recertified each year. I sent them all of the information I had from Doug Schoon's book and the association is very interested in the info I provided.

I am hoping to get an invitation to speak at this workshop, but have been assured that the information would be presented whether I was there or not.

The schools may never agree to use the products I represent because of this, but at least I can guarantee that the correct information is taught in our schools. The techs here need to be given a choice as to what products and services they provide for their clients. Right now, they are often being taught that l&p is bad for them and their clients. Its still shocking to me that the anyone believes this information is accurate - because the books they educate with don't say that. Added to the fact that many of them teach with the Brisa system and Creative is a huge educator in both l&p and gel - its mind blowing.

Many thanks to Doug Schoon and Gigi Rouse for your support - without you two I probably wouldn't have had the brass ovaries to stand up for what is right.

The most daunting thing I have done so far was probably living full time as a woman for 3 months in my final year at uni (back in early 1996).

The most daunting plan I have at the moment is to transition to become Ruth full time, while at the same time moving from contract work (for other companies) into trying to make a go of my own projects. I have plans to do that later in the year. And if it doesn't work out, then hopefully find another contract a month or two later...
Posted via Mobile Device

For me - the most daunting thing ever was also the most rewarding thing ever - adopting my 2 beautiful children!

And I have so far survived!

For me I have done things that have scared me from giving birth to my girls and getting married but I have to say I am about to embark on the most daunting thing ever!

In august I am about to start both of my Masters (l&P & Brisa) I haven't been to scared up until it hit me when I looked at the calender and saw its just over 2 weeks away now I am flapping like a sea lion :lol:

Latest posts

Back