When a client does not give you all their medical history?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemac

Reaction score
What do you do when I client withholds vital medical history from you when your 1st do their initial consultation. I have a situation where I have a fairly new client who I have ONLY treated with eye treatments. Patch tested as per normal and booked her in for treatment. When doing the initial consultation I went through everything like a normally do and I have an extensive list of eye treatment contraindications that I go through. She said nothing about any eye problems and we went ahead. She has had three sets of MYscara and at the moment is wearing a natural set of semi permanent lashes. Had a call from her yesterday to say could she have an appointment to have them removed? So as you would I asked her why and if she was alright with them only to be told she was diagnosed with "DRY EYE SYNDROME" 3 years ago and she thinks the extensions are making them worse. I couldn't believe it, I asked her to come as soon as she could to remove and asked her why she never told me during consultation about her condition to which she replied "because I knew you wouldn't have treated me"!!!!! Eh your right I wouldn't have.

I cant believe some people I mean its her eyes for goodness sake its not like they can be replaced. Also the fact she didn't care about putting me in such a compromised position.

Has this happened to anyone else? How did you handle it?

She is coming later, she will be pretty shocked when I give her a bill for the removal.

What do you do when I client withholds vital medical history from you when your 1st do their initial consultation. I have a situation where I have a fairly new client who I have ONLY treated with eye treatments. Patch tested as per normal and booked her in for treatment. When doing the initial consultation I went through everything like a normally do and I have an extensive list of eye treatment contraindications that I go through. She said nothing about any eye problems and we went ahead. She has had three sets of MYscara and at the moment is wearing a natural set of semi permanent lashes. Had a call from her yesterday to say could she have an appointment to have them removed? So as you would I asked her why and if she was alright with them only to be told she was diagnosed with "DRY EYE SYNDROME" 3 years ago and she thinks the extensions are making them worse. I couldn't believe it, I asked her to come as soon as she could to remove and asked her why she never told me during consultation about her condition to which she replied "because I knew you wouldn't have treated me"!!!!! Eh your right I wouldn't have.

I cant believe some people I mean its her eyes for goodness sake its not like they can be replaced. Also the fact she didn't care about putting me in such a compromised position.

Has this happened to anyone else? How did you handle it?

She is coming later, she will be pretty shocked when I give her a bill for the removal.

Oh my! Some people don't realise that it's for their own safety not because we're being awkward!

My consultation has this on the bottom where they sign 'I confirm that all information supplied is true, knowing that you rely on this information to carry out a safe treatment, that you cannot accept any responsibility for any injury suffered by me, attributable to my not giving full and true answers to the questions above.'

I don't know if you have anything similar on yours but maybe it's worth adding if not, even if it just makes a client think twice before signing.
Rhiannon x

If they don't tell you then it isn't your fault and there's nothing you can do BUT now you do know, call your insurance company because they may not cover you if anything goes wrong during the removal...

Oh my! Some people don't realise that it's for their own safety not because we're being awkward!

My consultation has this on the bottom where they sign 'I confirm that all information supplied is true, knowing that you rely on this information to carry out a safe treatment, that you cannot accept any responsibility for any injury suffered by me, attributable to my not giving full and true answers to the questions above.'

I don't know if you have anything similar on yours but maybe it's worth adding if not, even if it just makes a client think twice before signing.
Rhiannon x

This is excellent Rhiannon. Will definitely be adding this to my consultation cards!

It always amazes me too! I would have refused to take them off personally! Now she has told you she has a condition you are now invalidating your insurance. To do the treatment in the first place would have been fine on your behalf (insurance wise) if she has signed to say that she didnt have any eye conditions. If you havent removed this already I would strongly suggest speaking to your insurance company hunni x

I have something similar (although shorter) at the bottom of my Health Questionnaire that a client has to fill in and sign during the consultation.

Do you have anything similar that she signed during the consultation or was it verbal? If not it would be worth doing.

Like others have said, now you know, I would check that your insurance will remove them and if they will cover you are you aware/trained regarding any problems that may occur with this condition (sorry, don't do eyelash extensions).

This is excellent Rhiannon. Will definitely be adding this to my consultation cards!

Glad to be of help. I think it makes them realise that we are doing it for their own safety.
Rhiannon x

Latest posts

Back