"When I snap my fingers you will awake......"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandelionpoppy

Reaction score
I have lovely clients who come to me for facial treatments.
My problem is that I feel really mean when the end of the treatment comes and I have to wake them up and bring them into the real world!
Yesterday I had 7 x20 mins treatments and 3x 60mins, so I didn't have a lot of leeway, and almost without exception they were rather reluctant to get up afterwards, which is lovely but I feel so guilty at spoiling their relaxation....my question is - do you have any tips on gently dealing with this?

I was lucky to have a very large Salon, so never had this problem as we had enough rooms available and could allow the client to take her time and come out to reception when she was ready.

Do you have a reception room by any chance?... maybe you could explain to your client before her facial that when the treatment is finished, she is free to sit in reception for as long as she likes and have a nice cup of coffee and read some magazines.

Elemis use tibeten bells at the end of their treatment to signal it has come to an end. Im not sure if this is the kind of thing you had in mind. It makes a very delicate chime and the guest wakes up. At this point you can tell them you will have a glass of water waiting for them at the lounge/waiting area and they can stay and chill for as long as they like.

xxx

ok may well get shot down for this comment....but......finish 5 minutes earlier. then you haven't got to worry about the turnover and the client soon clicks that the snooze on the couch is eating into their time!

What I do if I complete a very relaxing facial is press onto the face to ensure moisturiser is properly absorbed so their face is matte. then I do a little tapotment over the face and even into the scalp, just tapping lightly with the pads of my fingers (also makes them look radiant).

if they still don't look like they are roused, I then squeeze their shoulders a few times, then press down firmly, hold for a few seconds and then say in a quiet voice..."thats the end of your treatment".

I use tingshaws in other treatments but generally not the facials as the above usually works.

I usually say "pop your top back on while I get you a glass of water" then if they're still not up they have to sit up for the water.

We used to get clients falling asleep all the time at college and once in the hairdressers a lady having a perm fell asleep too! Say I'll get you a glass of water and begin to stir them with a gentle press on the shoulder etc we used to tidy up around them if they were fast asleep! Most of the time they'd wake up and go "ohh I'm so sorry I fell asleep" etc and laugh I like the above idea of saying they're welcome to take as long as they want with tea and a mag in the waiting room aswell...then at least they won't delay any next clients as that disrupts their treatment

After I have finished and when I am putting on the moisturiser I usually say something like - "there you are, how do you feel?"

That signals to them that it is the end of the treatment.

Generally they will say something along the lines of "that was lovely, or, I feel so relaxed now." To which I will say I will leave you to come around in your own time, I will get you a nice refreshing glass of water and wait in reception for you, that should bring you around, ready for the rest of the day.

Then I leave them and wait with the water in reception, so they can get up and dressed without feeling rushed, but knowing that I am waiting for them.

If you do get a client who you know is going to take their time getting ready and coming out, then, as hippy-chick suggested, maybe try to finish around 5 minutes earlier to give them time to come round and out of the room, so you can get ready for your next client.

I usually find if one client is taking their time, its sods law the next client is always early!!
Then you have to 'make like a duck'!! :green:
On the surface you are happy and relaxed and chatting to clients etc, but underneath you are frantically paddling away, trying to get the last client out of the door, sort and tidy room and prepare for next treatment and making sure next client is relaxed and ready for treatment without making either of them feel rushed or pressured!!

Have you considered booking a little extra time inbetween your appointments to give you time to retail to your client? This would give the client some extra time to get ready, and you some time to discuss their homecare! Plus they wont feel like their being rushed out the salon!
I normally leave the room after the treatment to get their glass of water, and whilst their sitting up drinking I discuss with them my reccomendations. And also which treatment they should try next.

HTH x

Thanks so much fellow geeks for your great responses; I think I can learn something from all of them.
At present I finish by pressing the tops of their heads and saying in a soft voice "And that's your treatment finished..." and offer them a mirror. I then wait with them till they sit up, my thinking being that they may feel a bit giddy and I can be on hand to steady them - this is often where it all slows down! I think that I will take the advice to leave the room at that point and then return to tell them their water is waiting in our very pleasant reception.
I do like the idea of the bells too!

i usually finish a massage/facial by pressing gently on the shoulders and gently say "ok xxxxx i will leave you to come round in your own time, when you are ready i will see you back in reception" i also allow a 15 min turnaround time between clients and this usually does the trick!

When I have finished a facial/massage or any relaxing treatment I gently touch them on the shoulder and whisper that I'm going to leave them to relax and get them a glass of water,on returning to the room I lift the bed end up so the client can drink there water, I tell them to relax and I will wait for them in the reception area but not to rush.I believe a client should never feel rushed even if it means you are running around after to catch up.

I used to find that dropping a metal tray on the floor did the trick.:)

ooooh kim, if they bent over to pick it up you'd have an eyeful with the work that you do!!!!!!:eek:

ooooh kim, if they bent over to pick it up you'd have an eyeful with the work that you do!!!!!!:eek:

Ok....I'm getting the picture.......:wink2:

Latest posts

Back