When it comes to your nail business, where is your mindset?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Would you say you have a "growth" mindset or a "fixed" mindset when it comes to your business?
One thinks big, pushes past the point of uncomfortable, and has a firm belief in the goals and that they are achievable. The other has a preconceived notion of its capability, allows doubts to enter and plays it safe.
Which one best describes you!

I believe all of my goals are achievable. Some i will achieve in weeks, some in month & some even in years. I have had people say to me 'the nails business is too saturated to make a business out of it' yet my passion & drive are determined to prove those people wrong. I will NEVER not have goals that push my abilities & test my skills as without them, i'd say i was in the wrong kind of business. You have to push yourself & excel to succeed

Defintly growth :) I'm constantly thinking of ways to expand my treatment menu , and dreaming about opening my own place someday :)

Definitely growth for me too, there's nothing more satisfying than setting a goal and achieving it!

I am definitely the one who believes in my goals in fact, I have this problem where I simply can't not have goals... not just in business but in life entirely. Within my business, I'm always planning for more, wanting to learn more, yearning for growth and development. My motivations aren't necessarily money orientated, but wanting a sense of fulfilment and achievement. Goodness knows what I will do when I achieve all I have currently set in my sights??? The journey never stops for me.

xxxx

I'm ashamed to say that I'm the latter, not the former. I wish I was though. :eek:

I used to be about growth when I was working from my summer house, now I have the salon and employees I'm playing it safe. We still attend the shows, and training every year as standard, but I'm not looking to grow the business, just maintain a steady client base-,for now :)

Without taking calculated risk and borrowing there is little growth. It depends on what you are trying to achieve and how far you you enter into the business arena. I'll be a little different here and say 'world domination' I am not content with anything less!...but not so much in this industry I must say. :lol:

Last edited:
Growth. Definitely. I won't rest until I'm 100 at this rate (or die trying!)

I sometimes used the fixed approach in that I'm plodding along at the mo but the business is growing rapidly. It's definitely true that the more customers you have the more you will gain.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am opening my beauty room in a gym in 2 weeks time. I am hoping to grow my business and learn new treatments. I am aiming to be the best that I can be & offer exceptional service to gain a loyal customer base. I have been doubtful in the last few weeks as I am surrounded by salons offering €5 Friday treatments & Gelish for €10 incl free eyebrow wax. I am hoping not to go down that road 😊 I am being very positive

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm a bit of both at the moment if that's possible.
I'm "fixed" in the sense that I have a 1 year old and I've had to stop taking new clients on. This is due to the hours I can physically work at the moment. I'm averaging 20hrs per week and making enough £££ to keep me happy.
I also am "fixed" for a couple of years in that sense as there are personal goals I want to achieve and expand my family.
I'm am "growth" as well as I have monthly, yearly and a five year goal in what I want to achieve.I want to grow my business by adding shellac alongside my biosculpture, take on a better skincare range, train with Kim lawless as offer intimate waxing.
I'm growth in the sense that I know where I want to be business wise once my little ones at at are school and nursery.
I have no desire for a salon or staff but I do want to expand my business further by myself with the possibility or renting out my treatment room to an alternative therapist when I am not using it.

Not sure I fit into either of those statements completely, I have no ambitions to own a salon or have staff, I like to be self sufficient ,i continue to learn and train, grow my client base on my own.

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I used to be all about the growth, spent 2/3 years doing nothing but a variety of training, then set up mobile, then rented a room and then opened a salon, all within a short space of time. I then had a massive change in my personal circumstances and my whole life was completely altered.

I sold the salon (profitably) and am now working from home which I absolutely love. It fits with my current personal/family needs but I still attend training courses and work towards increasing my client base. Now I guess I am fixed as I know there are unavoidable limitations to my business both physically and practically, but there is still scope within those boundaries to increase both skill and business 😊

Defiantly growth for new. I'm hoping 2014 will be a great year :)

Goals without firm plans of action to back them up are not goals at all; they are dreams with no substance.

For goals to have meaning, they should be specific, be measureable, achieveable, realistic and timebound. Certainly, if you don't know any of that, how will you know if you achieve your goal?

It is not enough to say I think I can get to my goal. That's not motivating- in fact it's absolutely the opposite! If you can't achieve anything, or don't know what you want, then you'll never do anything!

For me personally, I am definitely growth driven - at least in the medium term. My long term goal is to achieve perfect financial freedom; to not HAVE to work to sustain our family lifestyle but to be able to choose to because I want to. I want to achieve this by the age of 45. It is realistic for me, because I have 17 years to do this which is plenty of time and, achievable because we have a good income and by investing wisely we can create a decent return on our money (we are in the process of acquiring a do-er up-er which will give an approx 8% yield; this will in turn be sold and the process repeated).

My specific business goals are to continuously improve my skills. It is not enough for me that I became a Grand Master, there are always things to learn - whether that be new products or techniques. Or even in the actual service delivery itself. I constantly ask myself "if I were to have received that treatment, would I be happy with it? Was there anything that I could do to improve customer experience - or indeed, my own". I make the commitment to my clients to attend at least 3 training courses per year - too many would not be achieveable in my current state without employing anyone and too little would not make a difference.

Anyway, I think that's enough rambling. Suffice to say, being stagnant is not an option for me - or any successful business owners. I bet even if they don't realise it, they will still be aiming for growth!

Growth for me.

Jemima :)

Definitely growth for me. Although im happy with the way my business is going I need and want more. I'm expanding my treatment menu this year with a couple of courses already booked for March/April. I have my goals for the year set so all I need to do now is achieve them.

I've been looking at new premises for my business too as I'm currently a home salon but that's all im doing at the moment, looking. I don’t want to jump feet first in to moving and then discover it was the wrong thing to do. I want to know I can maintain the business at a level im happy with and when some of my goals are achieved then I will look more in depth about moving the business.

Steph xx

Thanks so much for your replies. While you have been replying, I have been at 35,000 feet on the way back to my Spanish Hacienda! Lol

For those of you brave enough and honest enough to say you "play it safe" ... Let me throw this out there for you to consider. ....

"As long as you only do what you are doing, you'll only get what you've got."

Now what you have got may be satisfying for you and that is fine. But if you want more, then you have to step outside your comfort zone which can be scary. I love scary. Scary is part of growth.

For those of you who say I HOPE that 2014 will be a great year ... I say ... You have to KNOW that 2014 will be a great year; hope is not part of goal making. Belief that you already have that great year within your grasp is the key along with doing the things that will bring that success to you.

All the best to you all. Our industry has proven time and again to be recession proof. Britain is back in business and that business rides on the back of small business people with small businesses just like ours. X

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your replies. While you have been replying, I have been at 35,000 feet on the way back to my Spanish Hacienda! Lol

For those of you brave enough and honest enough to say you "play it safe" ... Let me throw this out there for you to consider. ....

"As long as you only do what you are doing, you'll only get what you've got."

Now what you have got may be satisfying for you and that is fine. But if you want more, then you have to step outside your comfort zone which can be scary. I love scary. Scary is part of growth.

For those of you who say I HOPE that 2014 will be a great year ... I say ... You have to KNOW that 2014 will be a great year; hope is not part of goal making. Belief that you already have that great year within your grasp is the key along with doing the things that will bring that success to you.

All the best to you all. Our industry has proven time and again to be recession proof. Britain is back in business and that business rides on the back of small business people with small businesses just like ours. X

I completely agree with everything you've said Geeg. I know 2014 is going to be an amazing year for me because I am going to make it an amazing year for me. No one else can do that but myself.

One if my new years resolutions was to be more positive, believe in myself and my business more and it's already working! Things can only getting better!

What you said reminded me of this quote I found a few weeks ago.

Steph xx

Attachments

• 1389900256654.jpg
    1389900256654.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 116
Well, I'm just glad to be alive this year and still have a roof over my head!
I think maybe some play it safe because they havn't found their true vocation in life yet, and their path doesn't feel quite right, so there lies the hesitation in jumping in for growth?

Initially I'm a play it safe person, until I've done my homework and weighed up the pro's and con's from every conceivable angle................ (bearing in mind this can take some time), then it becomes the growth, when I go at something hell for leather.

One thing I have learnt over the past couple of years, and rings so true................. "What you think about you bring about".

So, the power of positive thinking, if you think you can, you can, if you think you can't, you can't.

I hope you all find and follow your own personal/business growth path in 2014.

Latest posts

Back