Where are the other suppliers?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rinn

CND Shellac EA
Reaction score
Prompted by another thread in which Salon Geek.com was labelled as CND central...it does make me wonder where are the other distributors?

There's nothing stopping other brands from maximising their exposure on here and taking full advantage of the thousands of users on here annually so why don't they be on here promoting the benefits and virtues of their brand.

I think it's strange then that geeks come on here and complain that SG leans so heavily on the side of CND but why shouldn't they ? Where are the others ? Why aren't they or some of their educators on here ?

It's business...you snooze ....you loose.

I was thinking the same thing just minute ago. I am all new in here but when looking through the threads I was wondering the same

I think they tend to promote and support more on facebook.

There used to be some Nail Harmony Geeks on here, but I'm not sure if they're still around. I'd love to see them back again and to have them be much more active on the site.

It would be nice to have some more variety of brands being promoted on here Cnd gets all the hype

It's against SG rules to promote ourselves on the board, so we have to be careful in what we say in case it's deemed as advertising.
My company doesn't distribute nail stuff but the point remains.

I was in 2 minds as to if i should post but when i seen a previous thread and then this thread i thought i would. And make this my only comment!
On the point of no suppliers coming here for starters i must be honest in my view and i think certain others also should be honest with themselves there are a few people here who do think they are more ''professional and more well educated'' then others. They may not realize they are doing it but it comes across in a lot of the posts here. At times there can be an awful lot of belittling ,undermining and bullying from certain people here who again think there so professional. And with that type of mind frame and input it could and can put people off! And on the point that someone made ''Cnd central'' again i could not agree more people on here may not like to admit it .But it can feel at times that cnd is the only brand ever put on salongeek for nail techs and thats all nail techs should use .Again it can put people off saying what other brands they use incase they get a backlash for saying so.People need to grow especially those who are just starting there journey within this industry and find a particular brand that suits them and cnd may not be it
I am with crystal nails by the way not a supplier just a user in training with the brand
I hope my comment causes no arguments i am simply saying what i feel

Last edited:
I was in 2 minds as to if i should post but when i seen a previous thread and then this thread i thought i would. And make this my only comment!
On the point of no suppliers coming here for starters i must be honest in my view and i think certain others also should be honest with themselves there are a few people here who do think they are more ''professional and more well educated'' then others. They may not realize they are doing it but it comes across in a lot of the posts here. At times there can be an awful lot of belittling ,undermining and bullying from certain people here who again think there so professional. And with that type of mind frame and input it could and can put people off! And on the point that someone made ''Cnd central'' again i could not agree more people on here may not like to admit it .But it can feel at times that cnd is the only brand ever put on salongeek for nail techs and thats all nail techs should use .Again it can put people off saying what other brands they use incase they get a backlash for saying so.People need to grow especially those who are just starting there journey within this industry and find a particular brand that suits them and cnd may not be it
I am with crystal nails by the way not a supplier just a user in training with the brand
I hope my comment causes no arguments i am simply saying what i feel

Salon geek is a teaching site. There are teachers here who frankly DO know more than others (which is why they are here giving their time for free) and frankly they ARE professionals with many years experience which should be respected.

Not one of the professionals here on SG 'talks down' to or belittles anyone as the mods wouldn't allow it. If being 'talked down to' or 'belittled' is how an individual feels when they realise they do not know as much as they think they do and it is pointed out to them (then they react by being rude, personal or abusive) then that is their own personal issue to deal with and no one is making them feel that way but themselves.

Almost every bit of education on this site comes free from CND educators ... No one seems to mind that bit do they?!! But some people get all sensitive if CND products are mentioned!! It's quite laughable.

No one ever gets slammed or any backlash ever for saying they use another brand. No one cares what brand anyone uses .. But if there is something better and it would help others to improve if they use it then why not recommend them to do so ... Isn't that what one does to help people to improve? Is Salon Geek 'Swarovski centric' because everyone here recommends technicians to use Swarovski crystals?? No. They are recommended because simply they are the best.

There are so many thousands of individuals who have GROWN from the superb education and information made available from Salon Geek and thousands who will testify to that. So perhaps people need to ask themselves if they should come here for all the free education from so many CND educators and other industry professionals and then complain if they mention the brand they use?

When I have asked educators from other companies to contribute more, their answer has been ... Why should we give it away for free?? And that is the truth. Another truth is that rather than wanting to collaborate and contribute to this site, some other brands actively try very hard to steer their students and customers away from Salon Geek. I will leave you all to yourselves to figure out why that may be.

Last edited:
When I was deciding who to train with I did find the almost cult like attitude to CND quite off putting. I think it would be nice if the other brands showed face more but I can see why they don't want to because I think it would become a bit of a bun fight.

There is definitely an attitude of 'everyone should train with CND and if you don't you must be a bit thick' or don't care enough to spend the money but then the site was created by one of the owners of Sweet Squared so it's in their interest to have the CND educators here giving advice and pushing people to choose CND (not that I think they try to prevent other brands having their say)- I had no idea that this site was linked to Sweet Squared until I read Scratch this month (probably just me being a bit stupid not to realise).

I have no issue at all with the amount of push behind CND on SG. If other brands wanted to they would, but don't. I use NSI for my enhancements, but am a proud CND Shellac user also. I for one am glad for the help and support on here whether it comes from a CND buff or anyone else! And in agreement with Geeg about being steered away from SG by others, my tutor on a college course specifically said not to even mention SG in her class as it's "owned and run by CND, and I don't like it" and her teaching was beyond poor so I personally think she needs to join up!!

Long live CND and any other brands that care enough to help, support and participate!

Love and respect and all that jazz :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

When I was deciding who to train with I did find the almost cult like attitude to CND quite off putting. I think it would be nice if the other brands showed face more but I can see why they don't want to because I think it would become a bit of a bun fight.

There is definitely an attitude of 'everyone should train with CND and if you don't you must be a bit thick' or don't care enough to spend the money but then the site was created by one of the owners of Sweet Squared so it's in their interest to have the CND educators here giving advice and pushing people to choose CND (not that I think they try to prevent other brands having their say)- I had no idea that this site was linked to Sweet Squared until I read Scratch this month (probably just me being a bit stupid not to realise).

If you read the article then you Also know that the site was started by the same person years before sweet squared ever existed most likely when he was learning nails with his Aunt who was a regional manager for IBD. :lol:

And in agreement with Geeg about being steered away from SG by others, my tutor on a college course specifically said not to even mention SG in her class as it's "owned and run by CND, and I don't like it" and her teaching was beyond poor so I personally think she needs to join up!! Long live CND and any other brands that care enough

I have heard stories like this from so many. I wonder what they are all frightened of? College teachers are often frightened that the SG students know more than they do and they question too much?

Another one we get so often from other suppliers is that they tell the students that they can't buy anything from CND unless they pay for expensive training. Of course I'm sure you all now know that that is completely stretching the truth and just a ruse to put students off from making further enquiries to CND.

Some have specifically told their educators to stay off the site ... Not because as someone said, there would be a bun fight as someone said (I hope we have much more dignity than that as professionals) but because they do not want their customers getting exposure to other products or education.

It all comes out over time. But we're here and have been for more than 10 years and we will continue to help and to educate no matter which brand someone uses and when asked to recommend the products we use and are passionate about ... WHEN ASKED. No one touts products here as its not allowed, but we do respond when asked.

Last edited:
I have heard stories like this from so many. I wonder what they are all frightened of? College teachers are often frightened that the SG students know more than they do and they question too much?

I'm very confident in the fact that she was indeed frightened. I think a good few of the class knew more than the tutor, and they were all students who used SG. people need to see SG for what it is, a community of professionals and those training to become professionals, regardless of brands you favour or don't, to help and support each other in the journey in the industry whether you're at the bottom or the top!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I think CND is mentioned so often on this site mainly because they do such fantastic products.....there wouldn't be so many techs on here talking about them if they weren't......I launched my business when shellac launched and I have to say my business would not have been as successful as it is with out Salon Geek and CND....I also use Young Nails which I also think have great products and mentioned them a lot in my posts......SO a big thank you to 10 years of Salon Geek....especially Gigi who gives us all so much of her time for free :lol:

I am an Nsi user and when I've posted questions about my enchancement techniques, and where they are lacking, I have always had excellent unbiased advice. Regardless of the system that person was using.
If you ask for an opinion on a product you will get a majority praising Cnd but I feel that's just because, (as far as I can tell) the majority of the highly skilled, experienced techs use it.

I'm not an expert by any means but I think the products mentioned in alot of posts are there because they are the best. I know alot praise shellac, gelish and bio, etc because they are the best products. Same with hair and skin products. Certain ones get mentioned time and again because people love using them and passing on their knowledge of these products. This site has people from all over the world using many different products, with new stuff coming out all the time so there will be differing opinions, some are more passionate than others because it works for them, and yes, some suppliers do engage with the site to promote their products, if they get good feedback they tend to stick to this site and keep promoting their products by offering advice and sharing promotions, I often do not reply to certain threads if I don't believe in the product simply because I don't want to put that product down but I do reply if someone asks what is the best product in my opinion (if I've trialled a few different ones).

I see where you are coming from Rinn, and it would be great if other Educators did contribute more here on this site.

I don't consider SG as CND central, but there are a lot of people on here who use CND and they tend to be the ones who post....not the suppliers/educators.

I have been a member here from 2004 and in my time I have been a CND Education Ambassador, an EzFlow Educator and I have worked for the Distributors for Nfu.oh and have used the Harmony acrylic system and continue to use Gelish as my Gel polish of choice.
I have always tried to help my fellow geeks with practical and informed advice no matter what product system they have used, and I have never been belittled or put down when that product was not a CND one ;) I have had to fight my corner a few times, but good debate is an integral part of the site isn't it ?

I also have great respect for a lot of top techs like Hazel Dixon aka purelynailz who is now an Educator for Crystal Nails who gave a lot to this site and I do miss :Love:

There are a few others a who were prolific geeks and gained a lot from being members on here, but now are Educators for Harmony and are never on here.

I know it is a busy life running a nail business and being an Educator, and some people do fade away from the site but I do think you should try and give back something to the community you have benefited from.

I do agree with Geeg though that other companies do not like their Educators coming on here and giving away information for free.
I was told on more than one occasion by other Educators that posting on here should be to get more people to book on courses and not to give all the information from the courses away ! A bit of an irony as I know they mainly wanted me as an Educator due to my high profile on here :eek:

There are plenty people on here that use other systems and give great advice and have been around a while and seem to feel comfortable here...Wooshka and Noticeablenails and we have mum the one and only Marian Newman! to mention a few , I know there are plenty more.

There is a lot of mutual respect on Salon Geek, respect for years of experience and education and it is not brand specific.

As far as Samuel being the person who created this site, and who also runs S2 it actually has no bearing on anything.
I am a Moderator now, and know that Samuel lets us just get on with it and has no input into our deliberations or the day to day running of the site.....he just checks its all plugged in and pays the Leccy bills :wink2:

I myself use CND Shellac but Young Nails L&P and Synergy Gels & OPI GelColor so I'm not a totally committed CND user ..

I do admire this sites' ethos but I just wish that some of the other companies would jump on board and fly their flag.....
Why can't they do that ?
Have they not got enough belief in their product?
Are they afraid that they won't be able to stand up to scrutiny?
Are they so inundated with students that they can afford to let the chance to steer a few more form here in their direction , go.?

I think the other suppliers really are cutting their noses off to spite their faces so to speak....it makes no sense to me at all..

When I was deciding who to train with I did find the almost cult like attitude to CND quite off putting.

As a CND Shellac Education Ambassador, I'm probably going to shock you, and say I totally understand where you're coming from. Those of you who know my background will know that I was a fibreglass, silk and tip-and-dip technician (using Backscratchers) for many years, then I added Calgel, all the while absolutely determined not to join the CND 'cult', as I perceived it. I also had it in mind from what I'd read on Salon Geek that CND products were hideously expensive and that the training was ridiculously hard, elitist and required a second mortgage to take on - well, I'm sorry, but all of this turned out to be total rot! ;) Shellac introduced me to CND properly and I found a friendly company, with excellent-value training, products that were more technologically advanced, that I found easier to use and that actually worked out better value for money. I wished I'd done it years ago. It is an experience like this that provokes such CND-loyal posts on Salon Geek - and you will notice that the majority of posts are from students/CND users rather than the education team. We are so fortunate to have such passionate users of CND products.

I also think it's a shame that we don't have more educators from other companies spending as much time as we do representing their brands on here, but I have to respect their decision. I was actually discussing this with a friend I have who teaches for another brand - when I asked her why she doesn't post on SG, her reply? "Gemma, I teach, I see clients and I have a family. I don't know where you find the hours in the day to give your services for free to an internet forum. I honestly think you're bonkers."

So do I judge her? Not one little bit. And I have put several SG members in touch with her for training when they have expressed an interest.

In summary, I've been a Geek since 2004, and yes I crossed to the 'dark side' in 2010. ;) Yes, I love it here (we have Haribos). ;) But I like to think I also give balanced advice based on my experiences as a nail technician. And I'm not about to post less often, or to be less honest about how CND products compare to the products I've used in the past, just because there are not as large a number of representatives from other brands on this forum. CND/S2 don't pay their educators for our 'Geeking' time, they don't need to - I could have saved a fortune and made my life a WHOLE lot easier by doing things differently - and I like to think I can help others do the same. :)

I myself use CND Shellac but Young Nails L&P and Synergy Gels & OPI GelColor so I'm not a totally committed CND user ..

I do admire this sites' ethos but I just wish that some of the other companies would jump on board and fly their flag.....
Why can't they do that ?
Are they so inundated with students that they can afford to let the chance to steer a few more form here in their direction , go.?

I think the other suppliers really are cutting their noses off to spite their faces so to speak....it makes no sense to me at all..

They have total belief in their product. A lot of them used to post on here almost daily and it's a shame they are no longer here.
I feel that I need to say that a lot of educators do still give their time for free and still help a lot of new nail techs, they just choose not to do it here.
There are other forums and also facebook and these people are helping others all the time.
Please don't think that because the distributors are not so prolific on SG that they are not helping people.
I know a lot of educators personally and speak to a lot of them on an almost daily basis and I know they are passionate about their work, their products and their students.

Why can't they do that ?

Ive only been on SG for about 2 years but I remember we used to have Lisa from YOung Nails really helping and offering advice on Young Nails ManiQ when it first came out. However, she used to get such a pasting from the CND using geeks who used to harp on that shellac was a hybrid and ManiQ was a gel polish and don't you dare put them in the same catorgory, that in the end she stopped posting. SG is well known for being unfriendly to other distributors unfortunately and it's no surprise that the others gave up posting as they were literally having to fight their corner in every thread! I think the CND using geeks need to be more friendly to other brands and stop the mentality of "cnd is best and better than everything else". There is also a terrible pack mentality that if you dare say something against one of their respected Geeks they all descend on that person (usually a newbie) like a pack of wolves.
People need to learn tolerance and be more friendly, especially to other brand distributors/users as sometimes, sadly, it's like a school playground on here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back