Where do you all stand on patch testing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says a test must be carried out 48 hrs before EACH application in the instructions you've got there.

'The skin sensitivity test must be carried out 48 hours before each application to ascertain if there is an alergy or sensitivity against the product or if such has emerged since the last application.'

It says a test must be carried out 48 hrs before EACH application in the instructions you've got there.

'The skin sensitivity test must be carried out 48 hours before each application to ascertain if there is an alergy or sensitivity against the product or if such has emerged since the last application.'

I think what she is saying is that none of the other countries instructions even have a 'skin sensitivity' paragraph. Just the UK.

Just out of interest, have you contacted your refectocil manufacturer to have them clarify?

No I haven't, I thought I would contact babtac first, who can't seem to be bothered to reply...

To me it sounds like typical insurance company wording. They give you some guidance but can still get out of paying if you didn't do what the box says!

So Im going with whatever Refectocil say.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yeah I'm probably going to do the same.interesting about the instructions for other countries!

I'm sure I am not the only one that is throughly fed up of the conflicting information that i seem to be constantly getting. In this 'compensation climate' I am very aware that you cannot be to careful, but at the cost of turning away clients who phone up for a last minute spray tan or leg wax? It's going to become ridiculous!

I have just sent this message to BABTAC...

Hi BABTAC.... I'm sure you get this a lot, but can I just ask if there is anywhere we can find a complete set of guidelines with regards to patch testing? I have looked at my therapist handbook, trawled the internet and searched Salon Geek, but I cannot find a definitive answer as to whether we need to patch test for:

Lash tinting (obviously yes for 1st procedure, but subsequent?)
Waxing
Spray tanning
Peel treatments (such as glycolic)
Lash extensions
etc etc....

can we PLEASE just have a list, in plain english that covers ALL major treatments. We need to know what the procedure is for every treatment!

Thank you!

I shall wait with baited breath!

I have just seen BABTACs response further up the page.... I just don't understand the Tanning issue...... I have never seen instructions to patch test on the back of any tanning lotion the public can buy, so why with spray tanning? It's hardly an invasive procedure. And yes, I know a tiny minority could be allergic, but so could a tiny minority be allergic to any of the ingredients within any facial product but we don't have to test them because they come under our 'product liability' so why doesn't spray tan!? And for the love of god.... tinting: 1st Only patch test new customer, new product etc
2nd, follow manufacturers advice! they ALL say test before every treatment! some clarification please!

To me having a policy about patch testing, like Babtac outlined, seems totally pointless if in the next breath they're saying to follow manufacturer's instructions regardless.

Why don't they just make that the policy, because if you follow their instructions and someone claims they're just going to say well you didn't follow manufacturers instructions anyway.

At the end of the day, insurance companies will always do whatever they can to get out of paying a claim. So I'm going to do whatever Refectocil say I have to do, as that's what it seems the insurance companies are saying also.

The problem is as far as i'm aware all hairdressing colours state to patch test every single time you do a colour, so their all covering there own back, and we have to struggle on,losing clients.:rolleyes: and worrying.

I have just seen BABTACs response further up the page.... I just don't understand the Tanning issue...... I have never seen instructions to patch test on the back of any tanning lotion the public can buy, so why with spray tanning? It's hardly an invasive procedure. And yes, I know a tiny minority could be allergic, but so could a tiny minority be allergic to any of the ingredients within any facial product but we don't have to test them because they come under our 'product liability' so why doesn't spray tan!? And for the love of god.... tinting: 1st Only patch test new customer, new product etc
2nd, follow manufacturers advice! they ALL say test before every treatment! some clarification please!
I have just phoned Babtac and they have said they don't require a patch test every time for tinting obviously checking everytime for medical changes etc and they don't require for spray tan at all because i queried that after reading on here so hth x

Called The Guild earlier today and pleased to say they don't require patch testing before each application.
" As long as there are no medical changes and they have been back within a 12 month period for re-tinting we are covered, even if the manufacture states to test before each application."

Hi all,

We’re sorry for any confusion our post may have caused on Friday and just wanted to clarify again for you. We will not deny a potential insurance claim as long as you follow the points previously explained in our post, which are;

1. Carry out the patch test as outlined below:
We recommend that a skin patch test is carried out at minimum 24 hours before treating a client for the first time or as an additional precaution 48hrs for clients with diabetes or other special circumstances. We request that testing must re-occur if there has been a change in the client’s medical history, a change in the treatment preparation (e.g. a new formula or different product), any hormonal changes such as pregnancy or menopause or if there has been a 12 month interval since the last treatment.
2. Always follow the specific manufacturers’ instructions
3. Get your client to sign a consultation form/record card to confirm that they have received a patch test and are happy to continue with treatment. Note: if your client has any allergic reaction to the patch test must not perform the treatment as any resulting claim would not be covered.
4. Ensure the client is given relevant aftercare instructions before and after the treatment and ask them to sign their record card to confirm that they have received these.
5. Ensure that you are following recent best practice guidelines as stated by BABTAC

With regards to point 2, the reason we have stated to follow manufacturers’ guidelines is that each will supply specific preparation and application instructions, pertinent to your insurance; these include application methods, quantities, preparation time, client preparation etc, which may be in addition to your previous training. With regards to patch tests specifically, it is likely that in their testing of the product, they may have discovered an ingredient or a potential issue which is why they suggest to test each time. We do not require a patch test before each as per the instructions above unless the maunfacturer stipulates it. In the case of spray tanning and eyelash perming, it is now included in the National Occupational Standards that a test should be done according to manufacturers’ instructions and individual organisation's requirements.

For clarification, we recommend that BABTAC members consult the Good Practice Guide 2013, which will be released shortly and will also be available on our website in the member's area.

The list of treatments that currently require a patch test are;

Eyelash and eyebrow tinting
Peel treatments
Lash extensions
Semi-permanent make-up
Laser & IPL
Eyelash perming - according to manufacturer's specifications and/or if as an organisation requires it
Spray tanning - according to manufacturer's specifications and/or if as an organisation requires it

As an aside, we have just spoken with the Department of Health and although they say they cannot categorically guarantee there have been no legislative changes in this arena, there is nothing that they are aware of at this stage. Those of you who have mentioned ‘changes to legislation’ regarding patch tests can you please indicate where you have read this so that we can look into it further. At this stage, we have had no notification of these changes.

Hopefully this clarifies the stance.

Note: the patch test requirements outlined above are correct at 28 January 2013 in accordance with our current policy information. This information is subject to change should we change our policy, change our insurer or if new legislative guidelines are levied. Members will always be notified of relevant policy changes in advance and should always refer to the specific policy information distributed.

I'm sure I am not the only one that is throughly fed up of the conflicting information that i seem to be constantly getting. In this 'compensation climate' I am very aware that you cannot be to careful, but at the cost of turning away clients who phone up for a last minute spray tan or leg wax? It's going to become ridiculous!

I have just sent this message to BABTAC...

Hi BABTAC.... I'm sure you get this a lot, but can I just ask if there is anywhere we can find a complete set of guidelines with regards to patch testing? I have looked at my therapist handbook, trawled the internet and searched Salon Geek, but I cannot find a definitive answer as to whether we need to patch test for:

Lash tinting (obviously yes for 1st procedure, but subsequent?)
Waxing
Spray tanning
Peel treatments (such as glycolic)
Lash extensions
etc etc....

can we PLEASE just have a list, in plain english that covers ALL major treatments. We need to know what the procedure is for every treatment!

Thank you!

I shall wait with baited breath!

Hi maccymoo,

Thanks for your post on the thread. Would you be able to send me your email address in a private message?. I’m really concerned that we have a potential issue with our emails as we have no outstanding emails to respond to for today. I’ve spoken to our IT developers and they have asked for specific email addresses so that they can track them to see if they are hitting our spam filters or getting stuck somewhere.

In response to your question we recommend that BABTAC members refer to the Good Practice Guide and insurance policy document. We are currently in the process of updating the Good Practice Guide and this will be available to members on babtac.com in the next few weeks.

The treatments that we would recommend you patch test for are;

Eyelash and eyebrow tinting
Peel treatments
Lash extensions
Semi-permanent make-up
Laser & IPL
Eyelash perming - according to manufacturer's specifications and/or if as an organisation requires it
Spray tanning - according to manufacturer's specifications and/or if as an organisation requires it

This information is for BABTAC members only and we would recommend that if you are not insured with us that you check the situation with your insurance provider.

We hope that this helps clarify our position.

So, in the case of Salon Systems the packaging states that a patch test must be carried out before each and every treatment.
Great. I can no longer offer this treatment using this specific product to my clients because clients are reluctant to come for a patch test initially. I can't see them being any less reluctant if they have to do it every time!

Does anyone know of a tint where it requires a patch test only for new/lapsed/etc clients, please?

Combinal just advises testing before use.
It doesn't state how often or even how many many hours before and I asked babtac about this brand.
I believe babtac will cover any tint as long as testing prior to first treatment and all the other medical changes/ change of brand ect..is adhered to.
Combinal packaging also advises using their own cleanser pre tint and their own barrier cream, which I don't and I've checked that I don't and this is fine with babtac.
Babtac are a great company, there to to support us as members and in my experience with them they always have.

I haven't read through this entire thread but I get the jist of it.

Think I'll be taking this off my menu now all together, it's not worth the hassle

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I believe babtac will cover any tint as long as testing prior to first treatment and all the other medical changes/ change of brand ect..is adhered to.

Actually, what they said was this:

" We do not require a patch test before each as per the instructions above unless the manufacturer stipulates it."

Well, Salon Systems DOES stipulate it, so if I used it without testing each time then I would violate my insurance.

Yes, I understand this, that's why I mentioned about combinal.
I just said that I believed from my conversation with babtac that a therapist would be covered with any tint provided protocol was used
If I were you I too would discontinue using any product that stipulated specifically to test every time just to be on the safe side. ;-)
Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah I am definitely going to ask for confirmation as I did mention on the phone it usually states to follow manufactures instructions but she still said it would be ok, it's best to double check and be safe :)

Really interesting - I m also with abt so would be interested to know if they send you confirmation ? Can you let me know (us) know ? Xx

It's all so bloody ridiculous. If it wasn't for these 'no win no fee' shyster companies then none of this would be necessary. These companies are specifically targeting beauty salons and it's a bloody disgrace.
I am so livid about this. The therapist who works with me has been tinting brows and lashes for nearly 15 years and in all that time she has not had one person react to a tint.
I think these 'no win no fee' companies have a lot to answer for and the government should be doing something to stop them.
Drives me beresk :evil:

It's all so bloody ridiculous. If it wasn't for these 'no win no fee' shyster companies then none of this would be necessary. These companies are specifically targeting beauty salons and it's a bloody disgrace.
I am so livid about this. The therapist who works with me has been tinting brows and lashes for nearly 15 years and in all that time she has not had one person react to a tint.
I think these 'no win no fee' companies have a lot to answer for and the government should be doing something to stop them.
Drives me beresk :evil:

Well said

Latest posts

Back