Where do you all stand on patch testing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How dare they say that to you!
Frankly they have a bloody nerve to suggest such a thing and I will be speaking to them about this tomorrow!

Let us know what they say Lynne.
The girl I spoke to didn't say it in a negative way, I had a lengthy conversation with her and as long as you've followed their guidelines you are covered. She was really helpful.

Aha let the stampede begin!!!

PB
X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I really dont think the insurance companies know themselves - when i put the question to them she said 'let me have a look on the monitor' which i knew said 48hrs prior to new clients so when i asked about manufacturers advice it all changed to if thats what they say then thats what goes.
They really cannot themselves list every brand for every treatments reuirements thats down to us to know. The minute they are contacted with a claim they will want to know the brand and then contact them to see whats recommended, how do WE know, i wouldnt have i not read it on here. The box says 48hrs before tinting - not 1st time nor every time, which needs to be addressed. I'm contacting again for written conformation as ive only had it over the phone.
How many salons must there be not aware of this , even the most concious of us have been caught out it needs circulating now

I think the issue here really lies with the ambiguity on the packaging.
In this litigious age it is simply not enough to say patch testing must be carried out xx hours before; it has to clearly state whether this is every time or just for new/lapsed clients.
I will happily write to the manufacturers asking for a change in their instructions, but we must accept that if they state that it has to be every time then our businesses could suffer.

this thread just came to my attention and i dont know if you geeks are familar with the eu directives that has governed this?

This was made due to the enormous amounts of under 16 yrs old having reactions to ppd allergies. They have tried to make it more prominant here- so l'oreal have enfored it on skin tests that no under 16year are allowed. This included 48hrs patch tests for all hair tints- So im guessing they must have included lashes/ brows tints. I think its very wide to suggest its applied for lash and brows! Too generalised along with climazones, heels, clothing etc. I am confused now whether it counts or not?! Im thinking lets not risk it! xoxo

Does anyone know how i will be able to find out if this will apply for SP eyelash extensions also?
I would ask my insurer, but i've yet to find one that would cover me for my case studies without already having my certificate :(

Are we able to leave other non beauty trained staff to patch test when we are with clients or does it have to be qualified only?? im sure ive read only trained therapists somewhere - this will be the next pain :rolleyes:

Damnit! I might change my tint then because this is ridiculous.

good luck with finding one - don't just go with what the box states x

Does anyone know how i will be able to find out if this will apply for SP eyelash extensions also?
I would ask my insurer, but i've yet to find one that would cover me for my case studies without already having my certificate :(

You need to contact the manufacturers themselves and ask what their recommendations are x

Crikey sorry im forming an obsession here - but im glued to this its freaking me out. iv even been on the phone to my spray tan company x

Sorry guys, my intention with this thread wasn't to scare you all. It was something brought up at an evening course I am doing, and something I had not heard before. It seems most tint brands require this patch test each time, but the insurers are all saying different. I don't want to worry people, I just hope it helps in some way so that if in the worst case scenario, someone makes a claim we know we're covered. It worried me when I heard it, and I wasn't sure if everyone else was aware of it. Seems not!

Sorry guys, my intention with this thread wasn't to scare you all. It was something brought up at an evening course I am doing, and something I had not heard before. It seems most tint brands require this patch test each time, but the insurers are all saying different. I don't want to worry people, I just hope it helps in some way so that if in the worst case scenario, someone makes a claim we know we're covered. It worried me when I heard it, and I wasn't sure if everyone else was aware of it. Seems not!

I think most people will thank you for posting this thread. It was news to many of the people on this post, myself included. So thank you for bringing it to all of our attention :)

I think most people will thank you for posting this thread. It was news to many of the people on this post, myself included. So thank you for bringing it to all of our attention :)

Thanks. It was just reading the posts saying it's really worried people and the post about scaremongering - wasn't my intention to stress people out!

On another note, I contacted babtac days ago regarding this, and they've still not replied...I will pot what they say if and when they get back to me, as this will be via email which would stand up in court :)

I think the issue here really lies with the ambiguity on the packaging.
In this litigious age it is simply not enough to say patch testing must be carried out xx hours before; it has to clearly state whether this is every time or just for new/lapsed clients.
I will happily write to the manufacturers asking for a change in their instructions, but we must accept that if they state that it has to be every time then our businesses could suffer.
i agree manufacturers need to state this but as therapists do we check our packaging each time we buy, i for one don't, and many others won't, especially if they aren't aware of this issue, i feel the insurance companies need to write to all members, they are the ones who know where we are, and any letter from them would be read, and we don't need to worry that our clients will go down the road, because they will be told the same by ALL salons, they shouldn't be given that choice hopefully if we all stick to the same x

Thanks. It was just reading the posts saying it's really worried people and the post about scaremongering - wasn't my intention to stress people out!

On another note, I contacted babtac days ago regarding this, and they've still not replied...I will pot what they say if and when they get back to me, as this will be via email which would stand up in court :)

Oh don't feel bad. You aren't the one bringing in the new rule. Your just helping us all find out about it. If insurance companies or manufactures were to put an update out or some sort of newsletter etc then it wouldn't have to come to reading it in threads etc. But thank goodness for salongeek and people informing other people :) You did the right thing :)

Beside the 'idea' of it itself is whats scary. I already have people 1-2 hours from me that want SP EE's but don't want to travel to me twice in one week. Once for patch test, once for treatment. So imagine if i told them this would be the case every time. Would loose a lot of potential business :(
The only way i could possibly get around it is if i have a set day each week where i only do patch tests. Like monday or friday. And have all the people set up for the week come to me on the patch test day. But seen as I'm trying to set myself up and would possibly me mobile/from home. It would be incredibly difficult and would loose money. :(

I now as standard get clients to check and sign their consultation cards in every visit to me and if I see they've had tinting done but not for more than 3 months, I am re- testing anyway in case they want it next time.
This is a brilliant thread and helps us all to be more careful an vigilant when treating clients.
Any one of us is capable of complacency at times.

Interestingly BABTAC still hasn't replied to my email from yesterday...

When I was college I was doing a eyelash tint and did a patch test even though the lady had regular tints at the college. When I checked her perch test she had had a reaction and after chatting I discovered she had been put on anti depressants after her husband died. Even though its annoying that case showed me u have to be extra careful xx

Latest posts

Back