Where to apply the silk???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyns1411

Reaction score
Just wandering how you guys apply silk when doing a full set of silk extensions. I have taught to apply a layer of silk over the natural nail and the tip then apply the resin and activator, however I was talking to another technician over the weekend and she advised that you only need to apply the silk over the smile line. IS this correct? She reckons I am wasting silk applying it over the full nail.

What do you do when applying the silk as a natural nail overlay? Over the whole natural nail or just at the clients natural smile line to give it the strength?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Hiya hun,

I have always been taught to put the silk over the whole nail too... whether thats correct i'm not entirely sure but i've never had any problems with it. I suppose different training academies teach different ways. Before i was a nail technician i did have my nails done with silk and the tech did only put silk across my smile line so who knows :confused:

Hopefully some other geeks can help us too!!

xxx

well i was taught to do both !
a belt and braces aproach i guess.:lol:
i think i'd rather have the peace of mind than save a couple of pence on silk.

so do whatever works for you.

Hi, I was taught to apply the silk over the whole area for a new set of extensions and to apply just to the smile line when completeing infills?

I agree with Susan, if what your doing at the moment works for you then i would carry on doing it. A roll of silk doesn't cost much!!

xxx

There are loads of different ways to do it .. as long as the strength is there where you need it then do what you like.

There was a tech in Sheffield who didn't use silk, she used acetate skirt lining she got off the market! Swore by it and it was cheaper .... I mean for the amount we use, how cheap does one have to be? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice. Think I will continue with the way I have been taught because as you say....how much does a length of silk really cost!!!

Thanks girls..

Latest posts

Back