which comes first-the waxing or the facial?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantrelax

Head in the clouds Geek
Reaction score
Ok so today I had a client in that wanted a bit of facial waxing and then a facial. Now, as part of my aftercare advice (for waxing) I tell my clients not use any perfumed products, have any treatments etc (those of you that are therapists will know what I am on about). As a result of this I opted to do the facial first as the products are all perfumed and the treatment includes a steam. However, my manager just told me to get her in and do the waxing first and then apply an ice pack to the waxed area, then proceed with the facial.

I am confused....what do you guys say to this?

Also there was one of the girls that burned a client. She says that at the time the wax was not too hot but today the client called and said there were scabs etc. Now, my boss has said to place an ice pack over the area to be treated as in this heat the skin can burn. I have never heard of this either (I am not aying she is talking rubbish) just wanted to know your thoughts. xx

id say she is talking rubbish!the wax must have been too hot!!! you dont burn a client because there hot and the wax is hot!

i would of done the same as you, the wax first then the facial avoiding the waxed area.

I would do facial first then waxing,

If you do facial first & miss out the waxing areas then thats no eye cream & no massage, mask etc around lip area (presuming these were the 2 areas tht she wanted doing)

Did your boss say why she wanted you to do the waxing first ?

hi i specialize in non-surgical facelifts and have been doing these in depth for the last 3 years and i would do any facial waxing after a facial of any kind. I agree aswell it sounds as though the wax was far to hot. Hope this helps

I was taught to do facial first, then wax, as your skin is sensitised after waxing so you could induce a reaction to any products used.:idea:

OK thanks guys, by ths sound of it I was right. There was no explanation as she was v. busy at the time.

facial first; waxing 2nd. If not she could get infected pores. Surely your manager should know this?? Perhaps she thought waxing first so the redness could go down before the client left?

Facial first, then wax Alex! If you are not comfortable with what your Manager is asking you do do, just tell her politely and explain your reasons why! You are the Therapist and will get blamed for any treatments that go wrong!

Hi I would do the same as everyone has mentioned I would do facial first then the waxing

Waxing first, then facial. especially if you are exfoliating. If there were scabs after the waxing (and the wax was not noticebly hot at the time it was applied) this is not a burn, this is removal of skin. I can't stress enough the importance of prepping the skin with oil first.

Poor lady, clients should not go in the sun for at least 24hrs after waxing and definately apply sun protection after these 24hrs. The skin is exfoliated with waxing and this thinning of the skin increases the chances of sunburn. This maybe why she has a burn even though the wax was not too hot at the time.

Your boss was wrong to tell you to carry out a potentially dangerous procedure. You did the right thing doing the facial first, I would have gone as far as to suggest she had the waxing the following day.

If you wax first, and then do the facial, you can use products to sooth the area that has been waxed, and it easy enough not to exfoliate over the area that has just been waxed. If you do the facial first, then you you have exfoliated the area (weather it be manual or, chemical or mechanical), and this can cause problems with waxing. If we have clients coming in for both services, we always wax first, then facial for this reason... and never have problems... but have when done in reverse.

I would always try and convince the client that it is not a good idea to have facial waxing and a facial done on the same day. Why would the client want a combination of a relaxing treatment and an uncomfortable treatment at the same time???? Seams a bit like a contradiction in terms if you ask me!

Latest posts

Back