Which do you prefer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer?

• Shellac

Votes: 255 56.3%
  • Gelish

Votes: 112 24.7%
  • Other

Votes: 86 19.0%

• Total voters
I had to show proof at S2 but not with Nail Harmony.

I use both, as I like some colours from each - but the majority of my products is Gelish. I find them both easy to use, and each better in their own right.

Just as a point of interest when I go to trade shows such as Olympia etc - anyone can buy both Gelish or Brisa/Shellac from their stands with no proof of qualification. I went with a hairdresser who is not qualified in beauty but works in a salon and she was able to pick up both without being asked for proof. That to me is the same as products being sold in Sally's/Capitol etc whereby anyone with a card can buy anything they like.

Bio Sculpture for me. Love, love, love it :lol:

I use both, as I like some colours from each - but the majority of my products is Gelish. I find them both easy to use, and each better in their own right.

Just as a point of interest when I go to trade shows such as Olympia etc - anyone can buy both Gelish or Brisa/Shellac from their stands with no proof of qualification. I went with a hairdresser who is not qualified in beauty but works in a salon and she was able to pick up both without being asked for proof. That to me is the same as products being sold in Sally's/Capitol etc whereby anyone with a card can buy anything they like.
The organizers are supposed to see that shows are professional only. Shall we get the certificate police there? :)

Last edited:
I'd be delighted to give my account numbers at the till. That way no-one should be able to slip through the net like previously. I've paid a lot of money for training and qualification to use 'professional only' products so to see them being sold to anyone was very disappointing to say the least.

I'd be delighted to give my account numbers at the till. That way no-one should be able to slip through the net like previously. I've paid a lot of money for training and qualification to use 'professional only' products so to see them being sold to anyone was very disappointing to say the least.

We have never knowingly sold just to anyone ! How many who weren't genuine customers would stand in line for 2 hours to get Shellac? Not many.

It confuses me as to why it turns into an argument about which is a more the "professional" product. Or who bought what at what ever trade show. I have worked at sallys and if people arn't buying it there they will get it somewere else. You can't convince them other wise. What's important is that we are all trained properly and that we are much more qualified and do a better job then all the DIYers out there. I don't feel threatened at all that gelish is sold at sallys. People can get gel kits st the grocery stores now. Perhaps I am missing something though because the rules were I live are different? Gelish and shellac are equally good. It's what works best for you and your range of clients. For me its gelish, I gave shellac a fair try but it just wasn't selling like the gelish was. I do love the additives though :)

I chose 'other' because I use Polish Pro by NSI. Since I've decided to go back to CND, I will be changing to shellac. As geeg said earlier in this thread, most of the gel polishes last as long as each other, it all depends on the clients aftercare.

Last edited:
Salon services offers both hairdressing and beauty products. I know a mobile hairdresser & 'beautician' who is saying she is fully qualified in beauty when in fact she is not so can buy any beauty product and use this on her clients. I think this company should have 3 trade cards.
1, Beauty Therapist card
2, Hairdresser card
3. Hairdresser & Beauty card

Anyhoo Gelish for me x

Shellac for me. I use both Gelish & Shellac, but my brand loyalty will always be CND/Sweet Squared. :lol:

I picked Shellac because it does exactly what it says on the bottle (so to speak) I only stock the original shellac and have every colour. I wear it myself all the time. I get asked for it by name, my clients love it and I believe in the brand. Also the fact that there is absolutly no buffing or roughening of the natural nail plate before application goes down well with my clients.
The colour possibilities are endles with the layering techniques and the knowledge of using additives.
I can honestly say I have never felt the need to use another brand along side shellac as I have never been asked for anything else.
I don't feel the need to change to another brand when the one I am using never lets me down. :biggrin:

The organisers are supposed to see that shows are professional only. Shall we get the certificate police there?

Now this is music to my ears, honesty CND just get better and better at serving the professional. Im totally in love with brisa smoothing gel and so are my customers. Tonight I was sooooooo naughty I used brisa sculpting gel on my daughter whilst I wait for training OMG we loved it. Im afraid that L and P for me might take a back seat. I need to train NOW. Plus doing my master painter on the 3rd MARCH this is sure going to be a Happy CND year lol xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
The organizers are supposed to see that shows are professional only. Shall we get the certificate police there?

Just to clarify...

Shows are supposed to be only attended by those that have at least manicure qualifications (which covers 99.9% of what we bring). Our primary objective at the shows right now is to reduce queue time so we can get more face time with customers.

We will be introducing some cool tech that will better serve our existing customers at shows, but it won't be ready for this weekends show.

The organizers are supposed to see that shows are professional only. Shall we get the certificate police there?

Brilliant! I'm so glad this is the case for this show as I know girls that go to these shows to buy shellac with no training or qualification to make a quick bit of money by doing there friends and family! I'm so glad that this is going to be put in place! Xx

I prefer the high shine finish of Shellac. I love all the different looks you can create with the CND products. Although there are many fake Shellac products out there you can always tell the true CND Shellac finish!

I get excited thinking about this product lol! :lol:

I mainly use gelish although i do not like its inconsistency.....
I do a french with shellac bcs negligee is a beautiful colour.
This week im doing a bit of experimenting and have bought colours from OPI, IBD and EZFLOW just to see how they work...

With regards to sallys etc... all you have to show them is your card to purchase... well anyone can borrow a card. I really think they should make a card with your photo on. In that way only YOU can purchase from the shop in person.

Perhaps something you could show in your salon to help educate clients that they need not be hoodwinked and that if they are paying for Shellac, they should get Shellac.

picture.php

It wasn't an argument, but I was merely stating that all products can be brought without the need of certificates.

True but buying from under the counter sources gives no guarantee that what you are buying is genuine

Perhaps something you could show in your salon to help educate clients that they need not be hoodwinked and that if they are paying for Shellac, they should get Shellac.

picture.php

Completely agree.

I use NSI Polish Pro, I did my training with them so when they brought out polish pro it was the obvious choice to go with them. I know some have had problems with it but it's worked great for me.

Just before Christmas a regular Client asked if I could fit her Mum in as an favour. I did her polish pro and was secretly worried as she owns a stables and has anywhere between 20-30 horses in, her hands get a real battering on a daily basis. Four weeks later she rang me asking me to come and 'get it off' apart from regrowth there were just two nails with slight chips on them, and the still full bottle of cuticle oil I'd given her.

Same woman has just got back from Spain she went somewhere else where she apparently had Shellac done, after five days of doing nothing but shopping and dining out every nail was chipped and peeling, she couldn't believe the difference. The difference is she will never go back to the other place.

It was either a fake product or if it was genuine the tech clearly wasn't trained/proficient in the application. You need the right combination of the two to be successful and keep your Clients coming back.

Hey everyone, newbie here!
No one has mentioned OPI GelColor in this thread yet?! Maybe im the only fan, But i love it! xxx

Latest posts

Back