Which do you prefer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer?

• Shellac

Votes: 255 56.3%
  • Gelish

Votes: 112 24.7%
  • Other

Votes: 86 19.0%

• Total voters
I love bio sculpture x

love this product this is what I use, love the product, love the results and also how well it wears 2 weeks no chips just regrowth

After much consideration over the last few months i have decided to train with CND and do the Shellac course. I've had it done myself to try it out and it lasted weeks! And after the reading the comments about shellac on here for the last few months i think it will be the best option. However there are a few colours in the Gelish range that i really like and would use myself. I was just wondering if i do the CND training is there mush difference between the application of the two? :rolleyes:

Once you go shellac you never go back he he

Ez Flow TruGel is my "Other" response, I just prefer it.

The shine drives me crazy :Love:

I'm a Bio Sculpture girl, love it!

I'm a NSI Polish Pro girl through and through:)
I have not used any other brand and do not intend to, my clients all love PP and love the huge color range on offer and I have not had any problems thus far, infact something really odd is happening of late and I'm finding removing PP is getting a bit harder. It's like the product lasts too well:) but this is just happening with a handful of clients and they are more than happy that is it staying on so well (up to 4 weeks now).

Yes, I admit, I go against what NSI trains and recommends and I now do no buffing of the natural nail in my prep work, I just upted my skills and tools and ensured I was doing a thorough prep and found I didn't need to buff the natural nail in order to get PP to stay put.

When NSI released their new Endure product a few months ago, this just makes PP work even better for client who have ridged, weak/bendy, peely, easily broken nails and could not wear PP and needed something a little more sturdy, Endure has solved this problem and I have converted quite a few clients over to Endure with PP from Balance Gel or Attraction L&P.

What I also love about PP (and NSI) is they understand that gel polishes go thick over time (as the solvents evaporate out of the bottle when being opened and closed all the time) and instead of ignoring this fact and pretending this problem does not exist, they came up with Renew and now if a color starts to thicken up, I have the option of renewing the product (hence the name:) back to new again and being able to use the entire bottle instead of having to throw out bottles that have become too thick to use correctly.
It's just a fact of life when using products with solvents that they will evaporate and I personally know other techs who use other brands of gel polishes who are finding this issue a problem and they get very frustrated when they contact the company to be told to just apply thinner, shake the bottle better or warm it up between their legs while they prep or the best one yet....."No, our product doesn't thicken up, it must be something you are doing wrong":irked:
I just had a coffee with a fellow tech friend last night who uses another very well known brand and this "going thick" subject came up and she showed me a couple of her most popular colors and they were thick and goopy and there is no way she could get a thin application when it's like that, so she says she has to end up throwing them out but it's not empty and this is upsetting her cause it's a high quality professional product.

Thank you NSI for admitting this fact of life and bringing out a product to combat this problem instead of burying your head in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist!!!:Love:

Hey everyone, newbie here!
No one has mentioned OPI GelColor in this thread yet?! Maybe im the only fan, But i love it! xxx

One thing you will notice on here is that it is very CND orientated, everything is pretty much creative this, creative that. Most of my clients prefer opi and I think its great. Shellac to me seems very over rated its a good product but its EVERYWHERE. I use gelish and opi the most but also have shellac and will eventually stop selling the shellac Mani, its not worth it to me. Nothing against cnd its a great brand.

One thing you will notice on here is that it is very CND orientated, everything is pretty much creative this, creative that. Most of my clients prefer opi and I think its great. Shellac to me seems very over rated its a good product but its EVERYWHERE. I use gelish and opi the most but also have shellac and will eventually stop selling the shellac Mani, its not worth it to me. Nothing against cnd its a great brand.

This site reflects the market share in the UK ... So naturally there are many CND users here. Shellac is not in the least over rated .. It delivers what it promises and the clients love it for many different reasons ... It's not for no reaon that you see it everywhere. I see OPI everywhere too .. QVC, drug stores, etc. and the other brand you mention ... Selling to the consumer in many outlets as well as in wholesale stores that don't mind letting the public in. These companies have very much crossed the line to consumer direct selling.

CND is professional only and I as a professional value that culture hugely. I also LOVE Shellac and more importantly, so do my clients. I think the poll results above tell not only the UK story, but the world wide story and as a single brand it is by far the leader.

Just to clarify...

Shows are supposed to be only attended by those that have at least manicure qualifications (which covers 99.9% of what we bring). Our primary objective at the shows right now is to reduce queue time so we can get more face time with customers.

We will be introducing some cool tech that will better serve our existing customers at shows, but it won't be ready for this weekends show.

Wouldn't it be cool to get a swipe card from the shows that you used at each stand when purchasing and all you had to back it up with was a photo ID.
That would cut out a lot of messing.

Wouldn't it be cool to get a swipe card from the shows that you used at each stand when purchasing and all you had to back it up with was a photo ID.
That would cut out a lot of messing.
Wait till you see what genius mr geek has in store! :D

I'm a Gelish girl ❤

I use gelish but am seriously thinking of adding shellac x

I used shellac, and then started using gelish. All I use now is gelish! Lasts longer :)
Does anybody know much about artistic colour gloss? And is it better than gelish? Or pretty much the same? Thanks Rachel

I used shellac, and then started using gelish. All I use now is gelish! Lasts longer :)
Does anybody know much about artistic colour gloss? And is it better than gelish? Or pretty much the same? Thanks Rachel

It doesn't last longer than Shellac .. That is false. Just look at the poll. 3 to 1 prefer Shellac. They don't prefer it because it doesn't last, that would just be silly!!

Fact is They all last about the same depending on the client and the state of the nails you apply to, as well as how good you are at applying the product and your level of experience.

Last edited:
Rsh1989 I use ACG along side Gelish and there is no difference between them. U can use either base and top with both products so u can extend your colour range by adding ACG and their colours are modern. Be careful because some colours in both ranges are nearly identical so it's good to see colour pops if u can. X

For me its a no brainer...shellac all the way!!

I love shellac and so do my clients , in fact i get new clients because of it. Can clients buy shellac from their local sallys??no they cant, again i love that fact. I love the colours, how it removes, the layering options are endless...i only have 27 layering options on display as too much choice an clients take too long! BUT it doesnt end there for me, the fact that cnd are constantly surprising us with new innovations, the customer service from S2 is second to none as i have said several times before.

and lastly the thing that puts me off gelish in particular is I am seeing daily other techs selling their gelish kits...why is that?

I have a selection of Jessica Geleration and Young Nails maniQ but I really don't like them.
Gelish ...I have 12 colours ..I find them ok but although I used them loads I'm still not mad about them.

I have all the Shellac colours and ,most of the OPI Gelcolours .....both of which I love.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses but I think once you know your product and are prescriptive in your work you cannot go wrong.

I'm a gelish girl but don't feel the need to knock other brands either. They all have pros and cons and I am thankful that we and our clients have options.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back