Which gel polish was first?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is an interesting article in the September issue of Nails Magazine that shows the history of nail products and companies. According to this, Jessica Geleration was launched in 2010, the same year as CND Shellac, Also, IBD Gelac also launched that year and was a hybrid gel polish as well.

interesting! I'll take a look!

Thinned down gels that could be used as a polish have been around for quite some time. In Europe companies have had thin gels for years ... True though, is that Bio probably was the first to market a soak off gel polish.

No one put this category on the map to world wide viral acclaim as a new salon service for manicures, until CND Shellac was launched (which despite constant comments to the contrary from one particular person) Shellac is not a true Gel polish and is completely unlike gel polish in almost every respect apart from the fact that Shellac is also UV cured and lasts for clients for the same amount of time. It is unique in it's formulation, a very safe product with which to work and to wear and is in a category all its own. there is nothing else like it. I am not going to banter with semantics ... Shellac is not a gel as any other gel ... it is included in the same category for MSDS purposes and competition purposes because of it being UV cured.

After the launch of Shellac .... Everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Geleration was certainly not the first gel polish and although Harmony was on the scene with a gel polish it had no recognition as such or any acclaim or much notice at all for over a year or more until Shellac. Allot of people owe allot to CND for that one. lol

@Claire@OBNMK ... Gigi has been absent for a few weeks due to driving to the UK from Spain to move into a new house in Yorkshire nearer to my family .. no internet until yesterday (can you imagin my frustration?). I am not a patient person. This is a second home for now and I am as 'happy as a clam at high tide'!! Loving it and happily nesting (or I was until I got connected again).

Thinned down gels that could be used as a polish have been around for quite some time. In Europe companies have had thin gels for years ... True though, is that Bio probably was the first to market a soak off gel polish.

No one put this category on the map to world wide viral acclaim as a new salon service for manicures, until CND Shellac was launched (which despite constant comments to the contrary from one particular person) Shellac is not a true Gel polish and is completely unlike gel polish in almost every respect apart from the fact that Shellac is also UV cured and lasts for clients for the same amount of time. It is unique in it's formulation, a very safe product with which to work and to wear and is in a category all its own. there is nothing else like it. I am not going to banter with semantics ... Shellac is not a gel as any other gel ... it is included in the same category for MSDS purposes and competition purposes because of it being UV cured.
Geeg, some peeps are going to argue this until the cows come home and some more than others despite what or how one tries to explain it. Like you, I am not going to banter with semantics. Just not worth the hassle. I know what I believe and from whom I am likely to take industry advice and I am confident in what I share with my clients and about the products I use and why.

That said, it is interesting to know about the history of gels, gel polishes and polishes. Just the other day I discovered how CND was brought into the UK. Interesting stuff.

For those of us that have been around since the 80's experienced all this happening (well on;y if you made yourself aware of the global nail industry)

Soak off coloured gel (it wasn't called a gel polish then) has been around for YEARS! It was very popular in Europe, especially Germany, more so than in the UK and the US. Biosculpture was the first that made any noise at all in the UK but it is different from todays gel polish as it s thicker and was used as an overlay system.

I don't know how anyone who has an understanding of the chemistry involved still insists the Shellac is the same as a gel polish.

A lot of nail products started in the Far East and didn't get over here. Harmony was the first to create a gel polish that made global news. And the difference between that and the coloured gels is that it isn't an overlay system it is a thinner gel that is used as a polish (clue in the name). Harmony did a great marketing job

Shellac is different but the results are similar and they too did an amazing marketing job.

There is very little that is genuinely new to the world of nails. Shellac and Vinylux def use a new technology.

Geeg, some peeps are going to argue this until the cows come home and some more than others despite what or how one tries to explain it. Like you, I am not going to banter with semantics. Just not worth the hassle. I know what I believe and from whom I am likely to take industry advice and I am confident in what I share with my clients and about the products I use and why.

That said, it is interesting to know about the history of gels, gel polishes and polishes. Just the other day I discovered how CND was brought into the UK. Interesting stuff.

There is allot more to the story that I saw someone had posted and that post also contains some inaccurate info .... if you want to really know how CND came to be in the UK ... I can tell you!! lol

Well, as that "one particular person," I feel obligated to respond. CND Shellac is a gel polish, a form of gel polish that has a unique formulation, but a gel polish just the same. The chemistry is undeniable as is the scientific categorization. It may not be "just a gel" or 100% gel, but it is definitely in the category of gel polish/lacquer. Gel Polish is a broad umbrella term based on the chemistry of the product, the monomers and oligomer and the polymerization by UV cure, the categorization on the MSDS makes that clear. The Science of Gels - Technique - NAILS Magazine Now,does that make Shellac any less of a product? Absolutely not. Is Shellac different from other gel polishes? Absolutely. Has CND done a spectacular job marketing, not only their brand, but the entire market segment? Of course! Is it a gel polish? Definitely.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

Welcome back, greg.

@Claire@OBNMK ... Gigi has been absent for a few weeks due to driving to the UK from Spain to move into a new house in Yorkshire nearer to my family .. no internet until yesterday (can you imagin my frustration?). I am not a patient person. This is a second home for now and I am as 'happy as a clam at high tide'!! Loving it and happily nesting (or I was until I got connected again).

Yay! your living in this country now! woop woop, thats it I'm coming round for a cup of tea and a slice of cake! (yorkshire tea of course) :D

Are you going to be at Excel? I'd luv to meet you there (plus it's my birthday on that day too)....cheeky, of course I am x

There is allot more to the story that I saw someone had posted and that post also contains some inaccurate info .... if you want to really know how CND came to be in the UK ... I can tell you!! lol

Yes please :biggrin:.

Shellac just another thin gel ?

I think not! Hot off the press!

CND GRANTED SIX PATENTS FOR UNIQUE TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION

There's no disputing the fact that CND revolutionized the nail industry when it introduced the Shellac System three years ago. Now the company has received a total of six patents for the unique technology behind the system has been formally recognized by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. In May 2010, after nearly five years of development, CND introduced CND Shellac, The Original Power Polish, a three-part system that consists of the CND Shellac Base Coat, Color Coa,t and Top Coat, each cured in the CND UV Lamp for zero dry time. CND Shellac wears flawlessly for at least 14 days of chip-free high-gloss shine, and now each of its unique components – Base Coat, Color Coat, Top Coat, and UV Lamp – holds at least one patent of its own. “These patents for CND Shellac are a validation of our innovation,” says Dr. Dave Valia, Vice President of Research & Development for CND. “They solidify our technical leadership and protect our investment in creating a new category in nail coatings performance and care.”
- See more at: CND's Shellac System Now Patented | Daily Nails

Thank you CND I say for creating a new category that has given us all who use it (and even those that choose not to) prosperity in our businesses during the whole of this dreary recession and world wide financial crisis. It couldn't have come at a better time.

I'd also like to know how CND came to be launched in the UK :3

Quote:
There's no disputing the fact that CND revolutionized the nail industry when it introduced the Shellac System three years ago. Now the company has received a total of six patents for the unique technology behind the system has been formally recognized by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. In May 2010, after nearly five years of development, CND introduced CND Shellac, The Original Power Polish, a three-part system that consists of the CND Shellac Base Coat, Color Coa,t and Top Coat, each cured in the CND UV Lamp for zero dry time. CND Shellac wears flawlessly for at least 14 days of chip-free high-gloss shine, and now each of its unique components – Base Coat, Color Coat, Top Coat, and UV Lamp – holds at least one patent of its own. “These patents for CND Shellac are a validation of our innovation,” says Dr. Dave Valia, Vice President of Research & Development for CND. “They solidify our technical leadership and protect our investment in creating a new category in nail coatings performance and care.”
- See more at: CND's Shellac System Now Patented | Daily Nails

Thank you CND I say for creating a new category that has given us all who use it (and even those that choose not to) prosperity in our businesses during the whole of this dreary recession and world wide financial crisis. It couldn't have come at a better time.

Sorry, but had to re-post. The above news is just too important to be missed between posts about how CND started in the UK.

Christrio had a gel polish in a bottle back in 2002/3

Christrio had a gel polish in a bottle back in 2002/3
So did loads of gel makes .... But they never took off and no one showed the slightest interest in them until Shellac as we all know ... which as you can see from the above news article is quite different to gels in the broad sense of the word.

If CND had wanted to bring out a thin gel to use as polish, they already had that themselves! But they didn't, they wanted to create something new and something much safer to wear when being applied fresh every few weeks. That is why Shellac is hypoallergenic amongst its other great features and benefits. Shellac is undisputed as the FIRST of its kind.

Shellac is completely new technology as can be seen by it being granted no less than 6 separate patents. No other product of this type has anything similar to that. And it also means there is only one .... No copies of the product exist. Nothing else is the same no matter what claims people or counterfeiters make.

I have just posted this on FB another fantastic marketing tool and it is up to us to educate the masses ! Thank you Gigi 😄

The news is all over Face Book today ... I'm thrilled about it after waiting the eons it takes for the patent office to grant their patents.

rhinn ??? You are a naughty girl. One day I will tell you all.

The news is all over Face Book today ... I'm thrilled about it after waiting the eons it takes for the patent office to grant their patents.

rhinn ??? You are a naughty girl. One day I will tell you all.

Ah not meaning to be cheeky Geeg sorry, just wondering. X

It's brilliant news!! And for those that understand the technology involved, it's no surprise; just a waiting game!! That is now over :D

Latest posts

Back