Which gel polish was first?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo

Reaction score
Did Shellac launch first or was it someone else?

I don't know the answer to this but you might want to change the title to something like "What was the first gel/power polish?" before you get in trouble lol as I'm sure you're aware.... Shellac is not a gel polish ;) lol. And you won't get an answer to your question, you'll just get lots telling you this ;) hehe xxx

P.S. I'd be interested to know the answer though :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't know the answer to this but you might want to change the title to something like "What was the first gel/power polish?" before you get in trouble lol as I'm sure you're aware.... Shellac is not a gel polish ;) lol. And you won't get an answer to your question, you'll just get lots telling you this ;) hehe xxx

P.S. I'd be interested to know the answer though :)

I'm currently stood in the S2 queue at at Olympia (2.5 hours and counting) so not able to on iPad. I think you all know what mean ;-) x

I'm currently stood in the S2 queue at at Olympia (2.5 hours and counting) so not able to on iPad. I think you all know what mean ;-) x

2.5 hours? Thought something different was happening this year?? Enjoy :)

My tutor told me it was Ezyflow but they removed product off market as was rushed and Calgel was next? Could be wrong tho x

Jeez! 2.5 hours? There's something going though to keep you entertained though isn't there? I dread to think what the Harmony queue is like :suprised:

Something in my head is saying that Gelish was the first gel polish...I know it came out before Shellac at least. I'm curious now...someone will know the answer i'm sure...

Maybe bio-sculpture (gel but had colours??) I remember getting mine done under a UV lamp with them in South Africa for a school dance in 1991/2?

http://www.biosculpturegel.co.uk/

"Bio Sculpture is the inventor of coloured, sculpture and soakable gel." but wasn't in a bottle

Looking online CND Shellac (launched May 2010) and Gelish (launched in 2009 in Japan, 2010 in ISSE show USA - Feb/March 2010)

Last edited:
It depends on what you define as a gel polish (and, yes, CND Shellac is a gel polish...). If you mean a gel polish in a bottle like a regular polish, then I believe it was Gelish, but one could argue that Bio, Calgel and Axxium were the first true gel polishes. But CND Shellac was definitely not the first.

Gigi would know, where is she when you need her! Lol x

All reports I find say gelish was first in a bottle with a brush - hence I guess why the term power polish had to be invented: So both are firsts.

All reports I find say gelish was first in a bottle with a brush - hence I guess why the term power polish had to be invented: So both are firsts.

I'm sure my educator told me that Danny Haile whilst visiting Japan saw them using the gel in the pots and he wanted to make the gel easier to use, hence putting it in a bottle....I think?

From what I can find Gelish released in 2009 and Shellac released in 2010

The very first Hybrid 'gel Polish' is Shellac by CND... BUT the ones who were the Inventor of soak off gel is Bio Sculpture who have been going for 25+ years & have always been the Original Soak Off Manicure .... All other systems have come off the back of these 2 companies :)

I would agree with the bio sculpture, remembered getting that done when the only other kind of nails was l&p x

The very first Hybrid 'gel Polish' is Shellac by CND... BUT the ones who were the Inventor of soak off gel is Bio Sculpture who have been going for 25+ years & have always been the Original Soak Off Manicure .... All other systems have come off the back of these 2 companies :)

Well their marketing team were asleep when CND blew them out of the water..

My Jessica rep told me Geleration was the first gel polish! Havent looked into it though!

In 1988 Bio Sculpture Clear Gel was registered as the world’s first soak-off gel, a nail hardening treatment that cured under a UV light with a crystal clear finish. Shortly after Bio Sculpture Sculpting Gel was developed, a flexible and durable gel that could create a natural looking gel extension, this was yet another first in the nail industry.

❤️

Well their marketing team were asleep when CND blew them out of the water..
LOL mind you bio is still an awesome and extremely versatile product (not just saying that because I am South African. CND do know how to create hype which is great for techs.

My Jessica rep told me Geleration was the first gel polish! Havent looked into it though!

There is an interesting article in the September issue of Nails Magazine that shows the history of nail products and companies. According to this, Jessica Geleration was launched in 2010, the same year as CND Shellac, Also, IBD Gelac also launched that year and was a hybrid gel polish as well.

Yes I agree - Bio missed the bus on getting the product out there when it has been round for so long - their formula was a 'secret'.

I also had to 'stick up' for it on here as no one really got it until CND brought out Shellac and many others followed on. - how I felt Bio had failed themselves.

I started using bio in 2000. But I was aware of it in 1992 - when a client who had lived in South Africa had it done - with no internet then - I had no way of finding out what it was - even the person who trained me didnt have a clue what it was.

Latest posts

Back