Which system in your opinion, is the easiest to do on yourself?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkmummy

Reaction score
Ok geeks. I do mainly l&p, but have had training in fibreglass and gel (not very confident at gel at all though).
I find doing my own nails such a pain, as for filing my right hand with my left (weaker), it's virtually impossible. I end up moving my right handed fingers up and down the file.:irked:
I know we should sculp with our brush to save time, but jeez, my left handed efforts are bizzare sometimes. Then I have to do all this cack handed crazy filing.:lol:
My main question is.............are different systems easier to do on yourselves. I suppose this is mainly to full service geeks, but anyone feel free to jump in with a comment. Thanks.

I am wearing a set of Attraction L&P at the moment - my first attempt with it. My sister started doing mine but then I was dying to have a go and customers kept coming in so I finished them off. My left thumb looks great and my left hand is OK but my right hand is AWFUL!!! Lumpy and uneven and awful!!

UV acrylic is dead easy to do on both hands though but I love the L&P I used the other day and now am thinking, would a conversion course be sufficient to get on better with this system?! A foundation course would be difficult to organise because I couldn't afford all the childcare I would need for babies.

Anyway.. in my opinion, UV acrylic or gel are easier to do on yourself!

Thanks for your response Caroline.:hug: It has been so long since I've tried gel (14yrs:eek: ), I must have a look at some of the new gels around at the next show.

hi
just thought id take a quick opportunity to ask a question re: UV acyllic

When i did my training with Alida they put the UV liquid in by mistake with my kit instead of the normal liquid, hence i have had to buy more liquid, i bought a sample pack of NSI Attraction which i have to say i love, and get on much better with it than The Edge L&P.

however rather than let it go to waste, i was going tohave a practise on nail tips, really just to improve my smile lines more than anything. can anyone help me on the finishing of the UV acylic nails?
After i have cured the nail ? whats the correct way of removing the remaining uncured product? ive been using the wipe of solution but find its still really sticky.

sorry to hijack the thread - any advice welcome!

vic x

I use Brisa gel and fibreglass so can't comment on doing L+P on myself.
Once prep and tips are done I can 'whack' on a set of fibreglass on myself faster then I can do gels, it's the waiting while curing that adds to the time IMO as you can't work on your other hand while the other one is curing.
Having said that, now I can sculpt there's less faffing about blending tips on myself so I sculpt and wear Brisa.

If you weren't confused before then you will be now lol :wink2:

Thanks Sandi, my mind keeps going back to Fiberglass for my own. I haven't done a set on myself (F/G) for about 7 years. Must give it a go again, but I think I'll still check out some new gels (with refresher training of course!)

I do l&p on myself and it is so hard doing your wrong hand, I find filing my wrong hand harder than the application of l&p! I haven't tried doing gel on myself yet but I'll give it a go and see what is easier :)

I use L&P Attraction on on myself for NNO at the mo, its fab!! :O)

hi
just thought id take a quick opportunity to ask a question re: UV acyllic

When i did my training with Alida they put the UV liquid in by mistake with my kit instead of the normal liquid, hence i have had to buy more liquid, i bought a sample pack of NSI Attraction which i have to say i love, and get on much better with it than The Edge L&P.

however rather than let it go to waste, i was going tohave a practise on nail tips, really just to improve my smile lines more than anything. can anyone help me on the finishing of the UV acylic nails?
After i have cured the nail ? whats the correct way of removing the remaining uncured product? ive been using the wipe of solution but find its still really sticky.

sorry to hijack the thread - any advice welcome!

vic x

With UV acrylic I was taught to buff the excess off with a white block, and it is only with Gel that I have wiped the excess off with the Balance Cleanse.

ahhhh ok ill give that a shot and see if that gives me a better result - thank oyu for that ill let you know how i get on!

Hi,

I do gel on myself, not doing L&P i wouldnt be able to comment whether it is easier but I use NSI Balance Builder and because it is self levelling it makes it easier to buff your handed hand!! (If that makes sense?!?!?!)

HTH xx

hi i do gel on myself as i find it easier to get my smile line correct as it has a longer setting period than acrylic.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On myself, I prefer to use the self-leveling LCN gel system.
Seems be the easiest for me :)

I find applying l&p on myself isn't too bad, but its the filing that gets to me! I find that quite hard on my wrong hand! Takes me forever! I haven't really tried gel on myself but thats because I'm not yet confident in gel! Not tried fabric, but love doing fabirc on clients!

I go through different stages. I mainly do L&P on myself, but sometimes find i change to gel for a while and find that easier, then i switch back to L&P.

Have to say, it's quicker doing the L&P on myself as i don't have to wait for the gel to cure on one hand before i can get on with the other one. The more i do my own nails, the easier they get.

It always takes me longer on myself than on clients though as i have to concentrate harder on my wrong hand. Plus i always do my wrong hand first, then i know it will get easier once that hand is finished.

although the bulk of my work in the salon is l/p, i do struggle to produce good results on my own nails with this system. the application is not too bad, but i find it very hard to file, i always end up scratching and grazing my self with the file and end up having to use savlon to sooth my poor old digits:irked:

however, i have had much, much better results with my le chat powder gel system. it is so much simpler to use and because it goes on in fine layers, there is never much filing to shape to do. sooooo much easier for me.

I find it much easier to do gel on myself, but the problem is if I want to do a removal, I can't do a file off left handed without causeing damage. So it's a toss up, do I want to be able to get it on easier, or get it off easier.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Think I'll try something different to l&p on me for a while. :hug:

Latest posts

Back