which wax do you use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMOUSE

Reaction score
I am just coming to the end of my wax and need to buy some more. I do eyebrows and lips mostly and was wondering what brand you use and why. I don't mind paying alot for it as long as i get the results e.g less redness and waxes the very small hairs as well.

Hi Tracey,

Take a look at these threads for lots of helpful advice and opinions on different wax brands:

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/46110-what-waxing-products-do-you-use.html
http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/47605-best-wax.html

My personal choice is the Perron Rigot waxing system, as I prefer a low temperature hard wax for facial and Brazilian waxing and find their non-strip waxes are the best I've tried - they shrinkwrap the hair and stay flexible as they cool, making for easier removal and very comfortable waxing. Having said that, I honestly think that in the majority of cases experience and technique are more important than brand.

Have you tried using a small amount of oil under your wax? Literally just a drop to stop the wax adhering to the skin as much - this can really help minimise redness.

Andy x :)

Andy's advice is great.....applying a little oil to the area helps to ensure the wax only sticks to the hair.

i use salon system azulene wax.. its for sensitive skin, leaves no sticky residue unlike alot of honey waxes do. a good after wax gel such as flamingo gel takes down redness at speed.. hope this helps..

Andy's advice is great.....applying a little oil to the area helps to ensure the wax only sticks to the hair.
oooh never heard of this !
does this only apply to hot wax ?
and does it only apply to facial waxing?
also what oil would you use , would solar oil be ok ?
thankyou in advance xx:hug:

oh i use Hive wax btw , but ive only just started so have never used any other , just didnt want to be ignorant and not anser the oringinal question :lol:

i like to use a cream wax for facial waxing, i've tried a few brands lots of different ones at college when i was training, but last year i bought a cyclax heater and wax kit only £29, and i get on really well with their wax so i've continued to use it, it has tea tree and vitamin e in it and smells lovely. i'm still not as confident with hot wax as i'd like to be so i will be trying the oil to stop it sticking to the skin.

oooh never heard of this !
does this only apply to hot wax ?
and does it only apply to facial waxing?
also what oil would you use , would solar oil be ok ?
thankyou in advance xx:hug:

Hi Ems,

You can use oil instead of powder anywhere on the body, and with any type and brand of wax - hot, strip, honey, gel, cream... it's all good!

Any light oil will do the job - Solar Oil is fine, if a little pricey to be using on large areas! Massage oils such as jojoba, sweet almond and grapeseed are good, as are mineral and baby oils, even the post-wax oils that some companies sell will do a good job. Huberella (Wax Goddess that she is) also uses tea-tree essential oil for it's antispetic qualities, which is a great idea. Steer clear of the heavier massage oils like wheatgerm and avocado though, as these are more difficult to get the right amount on the skin.

Using a small amount of oil acts as a barrier between skin and wax in a similar way to talc/powder. The main difference is that talc absorbs moisture, which can sometimes result in wax sticking to the skin (in turn making lifting and irritation more likely), whilst oil creates a lubricant barrier that prevents the wax from sticking in this manner. Many people find that this makes the whole darn process hurt less, too!

You really do only need a light smear - too much and it will stop the wax sticking to the hair, and you'll slip and slide about all over the place. If this happens, simply wipe off the excess oil with a tissue and try again. Takes a bit of practice to get right, but it's well worth the effort! :green:

Andy x

Latest posts

Back