Which wax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimezzzz

Reaction score
Hi y'all, I'm new to the forum so hope I am posting in the right place etc!

I'm not a professional so go and get full leg and Hollywood waxes every month or so, sometimes I also get underarm as well, and now I'm looking into waxing from home in order to save money in the long run! I've been trying to research but have been getting so much information that I'm now not entirely sure what's what!

So... can someone tell me:
- the difference between hot wax, warm wax, film wax, creme wax (or are some the same thing with different names? or are some types of others?)
- which of the above are strip wax and which are non-strip?
- is it better to use strip or non-strip wax around the bikini area?
- can you use any kind of wax in a heater?

I'd really appreciate a concrete answer here!
Thank you very much x

I would suggest not doing your own waxing, if you haven't trained. You could damage yourself if you don't know what you're doing.

If you do want to do your own, take a good waxing course. You'll be taught proper technique and all the questions you asked will be covered.

Hiya. I think that as you're not a pro, we should keep this simple and straight to the point.

Strip wax (wax removed with a strip) is great for general body waxing and Hot wax (wax removed by hand and not strip) is best on sensitive areas.

If you choose not to go to a pro and use high street waxes, then have a read of the instructions for use as you don't want to tear your skin or break the hair.

Hope that helps.

Hi there. Because you are not a professional it is going to be very difficult for you to be able to get the correct things needed in order to wax yourself. I know you may be thinking that you need to save money so you will start waxing yourself... But believe me. If you buy all this stuff to do it at home.. You will not do it yourself. Because you just won't be bothered to do it. Honestly.

Also it isn't just as simple as buying wax wacking it on and ripping it off... You need to support in certain areas, you need to know how to apply the wax, how to take it off, just because you have watched your therapist doesn't mean it's easy. Theres also the important factor of how hot the wax needs to be. Too cold it's going to hurt like hell... To hot it's going to scald you.
Remember... Where are you going to do your waxing?? What are you doing to use to protect your furniture?? What about preping the skin before and treating the skin after you wax!?

I'm a professional and for convenience I do my own waxing.. But half the time I can't b bothered... So I'm sure u will feel the same. Also are you going to do your own intimate waxing? There's a whole technique to that you know? It's difficult!! Something that a non professional should even think about. I'm sorry, but you take the hair off in the wrong direction you can seriously harm yourself. Why do you think all us professionals went to college to train for so long?

If you really want to do your own waxing I'd maybe consider a course in this... Because before you know it u will have any old Sarah, Sally or suzie asking you to just do there waxing too... Which is dangerous as you can harm them with no training and you do something wrong they can sue you... We need insurance to do treatments on people.

I would just continue going to your therapist, for the convenience of it and because as I say... I guarantee you won't want to do it on your own. Because when you wax yourself you know when you need to pull off the strip/wax... It can make you apprehensive nervous and you won't want to pull that strip off.

At least by a professional it's done in no time and it's done properly. Another thing where are you going to store your wax stuff??

Theres lots to consider here

Nicola! Xxx

I hope you take this in the way that it's meant (with humour :hug:) but asking us professionals how to wax yourself is a bit like going into the chip shop and saying 'Can you tell me how to fry fish?'.

I hope you take this in the way that it's meant (with humour :hug:) but asking us professionals how to wax yourself is a bit like going into the chip shop and saying 'Can you tell me how to fry fish?'.

Kim, - you're a legend lol!

Maybe do a short corse on waxing! You can get the wax from sallys! I can't even be botherd to do my legs myself! It's so much effort, would rather get it done by another therapist! Then again I can't be bothered to do most treatments on myself! Wayyyy to lazy lol!

I have waxed myself & I am qualified in basic waxing, some of the positions you need to get yourself into to reach areas can be hard!

Plus it takes at least twice as long! Much quicker & painless getting it done professionally.

Xx

I'm a professional and no way would I be doing a Hollywood on myself ...
I will do half legs & underarms if its desperate and not able to work around apts with a fellow therapist, but no way am I doing my own bikini, I'm not bendy enough to do my bikini or full legs ... As the positions are somewhat awkward to say the least... Karma sutra is nothing on those positions ... Lol...
On a serious note : You could do some real damage down there... !!!
No offence ... But take the advice either go to the professionals or book the 2 courses you will need to do - they're not cheap courses either your looking at at £500 for just the courses at the very least for what you'd want to do .... Then you'd need to buy the equipment,
*beginners waxing - warm wax
*advanced waxing - hot wax with techniques for intimate waxing (Hollywood Brazilian waxing)

And then will you really want to do yourself when youv got to set it all up, make sure that the area is protected so you don't get wax everywhere and then wax yourself which will take 3 times as long as someone else doing it ...

Xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I've recently trained intimate waxing.. Using both hot and warm wax I'm fine and confident using hot wax for a Hollywood and a Brazilian treatment however at my new salon they only use warm, but I'm worried about removing the hair from the labia using warm wax. Any tips ?? Thanks xx

Latest posts

Back