White marks again, sorry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time a calcium deficiency would cause leukonychia is in the case of a very SEVERE dietary insufficiency ... Whatever spots that occur near the matrix and grow out with the nail plate are caused by immature nail cells that have failed to mature and flatten out or by trauma. The calcium thing is a myth.

Well I did think it could be...a myth.... But I can't that regularly have trauma to my nails? so randomly? Surely I would notice the bump or bang as well? Is it hereditary in some way? Are some people are more susceptible to it.

Well I did think it could be...a myth.... But I can't that regularly have trauma to my nails? so randomly? Surely I would notice the bump or bang as well? Is it hereditary in some way? Are some people are more susceptible to it.

Or trauma. So it could be just caused by immature nail cells that have failed to mature and flatten out, as Gigi says. I used to get that.

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I've got a new client whose nails I have only done twice with Shellac. She is 64, very well kept and has purchased Solar Oil and has told me that she is using it religiously every time she washes her hands etc.

I've removed her last Shellac with no scraping/orange stick and she had white spots on her nails...what could be causing this?

Sorry...has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this please?

There are round white spots on certain nails. Her nails are ridged, but well kept. She's bought 2 bottles of Solar Oil and promises that she's been using it. And has only had Shellac applied once, removed once and reapplied.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

I've toyed with answering in this thread a few times over the last couple of days and not done because without seeing a photo of these 'spots' it is hard to say anything.

Why are a few spots of dehydration bothering you so much? Is it bothering the client excessively. She sounds like she has mature hands and nails, which tend to be dry naturally ... They are ridged, which is a sign that her nails are dry ... Dry isn't something to get too upset about is it? It is nothing permanent or deleterious. A bit of surface dehydration is no worse than hair being dry after bleaching.

Anything that disturbs the surface of the nail can cause dry spots to show up. Using a metal tool aggressively to remove cuticle can cause dry areas to form, product removal has to be gentle; Only you know if these things could be the cause or if she just has dry nails.

Solar Oil has an accumulative effect over TIME and if she uses it regularly and daily, then you should find any dryness getting better over time. Keep a watch on the nail condition and if the problem gets worse then discuss what to do with the client then.

This happens to a couple of my older clients especially if I use d'solve instead of nourishing remover. One was and concerned and reluctant to have shellac again because she thought that it was damage so I very gently buffed in some solar oil and told her to let it sink in while I did her daughters nails. By the time we were finished, mum's nails were looking great. She uses her solar oil now!

I've toyed with answering in this thread a few times over the last couple of days and not done because without seeing a photo of these 'spots' it is hard to say anything.

Why are a few spots of dehydration bothering you so much? Is it bothering the client excessively. She sounds like she has mature hands and nails, which tend to be dry naturally ... They are ridged, which is a sign that her nails are dry ... Dry isn't something to get too upset about is it? It is nothing permanent or deleterious. A bit of surface dehydration is no worse than hair being dry after bleaching.

Anything that disturbs the surface of the nail can cause dry spots to show up. Using a metal tool aggressively to remove cuticle can cause dry areas to form, product removal has to be gentle; Only you know if these things could be the cause or if she just has dry nails.

Solar Oil has an accumulative effect over TIME and if she uses it regularly and daily, then you should find any dryness getting better over time. Keep a watch on the nail condition and if the problem gets worse then discuss what to do with the client then.

Hi Gigi,

Thank you for your response. I realise that it was difficult to do so as I haven't got a picture, but tbh I really didn't want to draw too much attention to them. However they're unlike any dehydration I've ever seen, these were perfect spots.

She is my oldest Shellac client, so maybe it is an age issue. I'm sure she'll be using her Solar Oil, she's purchased 3 15ml bottles to keep in different places, so she "has" to be using it.

I will keep an eye on them in the meanwhile.

This happens to a couple of my older clients especially if I use d'solve instead of nourishing remover. One was and concerned and reluctant to have shellac again because she thought that it was damage so I very gently buffed in some solar oil and told her to let it sink in while I did her daughters nails. By the time we were finished, mum's nails were looking great. She uses her solar oil now!

I might try buffing in some solar oil next time while I'm doing her mini manicure prior to reShellac.

White spots are due to a dehydrated nail.. Apply lots of cuticular oil and it will go x

I had a client that suffered with this a while back she was very anaemic and once her iron levels went back to normal the white patches went x

I have copied and pasted a direct quote from Doug on his Facebook page. We all know by now how to remove safely, but one sentence within this quote has made me think again and that's the one below saying that white spots are likely to be from improper removal rather than dehydration.

Doug Schoon You should refer to the manufacturer of the product you use for removal specifics, but the point I'm making is to never push, scrape or pry a nail coating such as this from the natural nail. When the product is removed properly, damage will not occur. If white spots appear on the nails, its likely from improper removal, not dehydration. Just understand this, should be able to help nail professionals prevent most of this type of damage. Preventing this type of nail damage is very important and should be a focus of all manufacturers, educators, marketers, publishers and authors, etc. Even clients should be educated on this topic

Latest posts

Back