white nail beds after soaking off with acetone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help me with this.

Does anyone else suffer with this problem when soaking off - my clients natural nail goes white after the acrylic comes off and in some places it looks as though a surface of the nail plate is peeling off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Scared:

This is how I do it :-

1. Buff over clients nails to remove shine & break the seal of UV gloss if wearing.
2. Clip any length off if having a new set applied.
3. Place fingers into manicure bowls and fill with acetone to just above the nail.
4. Cover and leave for about 20mins before inspecting.
5. Scrape off gently with an orage stick soaked product.
6. White nail plates on some nails???

I'm finding that I'm having to do more filing/buffing on the natural nail plate than I know is right.:Scared:

Could it be that the acetone is too strong, it is called 'Solutions' by Hive.

Thanks geeks!

Its probably just the nail plate being dehydrated (as product removal does this) I massage solar oil in and I find this helps bring the nail plate back to a good shine

hth

Hi Bev

This thread is so weird because only last night I took my own set of acrylic enhancements off (in the same way you did them) and I was left with the same nail plate as you describe. Ended up trying to file lightly but left them because I was little worried about my nails. Its as though there is a really fine film of acrylic still on the nail which won't budge!!:Scared: This is the first set I have removed (in the middle of my creative L&P foundation at Leeds) so I would like advise too. Many thanks and what a great site, I find I am addicted to it and have learned so much from everyones threads!!:biggrin: But the learning and practise goes on and on........

Heather x

Acetone does make the nail plate white as it dehydrates it. Some companies do their own soak off solution that has extra additives to help stop this happening. Try just using a white buffer block lightly on the nails after soaking, this is usually enough, or even looking at them before 20 minutes as some do not take that long to soak off, especially the smaller nails. HTH:)

once i've soaked off i get them to wash their hands and scrub their nails with a nail brush. this usually gets rid of most of the white.

I took my daughters off the other night then I gave a very light rub with a white block and put oils on her nails they came up really nice. They looked white after they came out of the acetone they were only in it for 15 mins and all were off as I file them down first.

Caz xxx

It's normal hun, don't panic, it's just how they look when the product has been removed, just a very gentle buff and some cuticle work and cuticle oil and they're good as new!!!

xxxx

This is quite normal, I found when I used the soak method in a bowl I ended up needing to file a fine layer that was left. Since using the foil method the heat of the hands helps with the removal (the remover is generally very cold especially in this weather) and you can wipe the whole product off in one (if the product has been applied thinly to begin with) then a white block to smooth.

Take care xx

smiler13334 said:
Since using the foil method the heat of the hands helps with the removal (the remover is generally very cold especially in this weather
xx

I have tried all the methods to try to heat up acetone/product remover but didnt get on with the ones that involved using hot water as it went cold too quickly.
What I do now is use a heated pad, the kind you can get to put on muscle strains, Argos sell them. I cover it with a plastic backed desk towel, put the remover in a finger bowl (small one with small individual holes for each finger) on the top of the pad, set the heat switch at max until it heats up and then turn it down a bit. That way the acetone/product remover stays warm and removal is much quicker. I found when trying to do the foil method that I ended up with it affecting my own enamel and extensions. HTH:biggrin:

Marilyn said:
Acetone does make the nail plate white as it dehydrates it. Some companies do their own soak off solution that has extra additives to help stop this happening. Try just using a white buffer block lightly on the nails after soaking, this is usually enough, or even looking at them before 20 minutes as some do not take that long to soak off, especially the smaller nails. HTH:)

I have to differ with this advice.
It is never a smart or health conscious decision to buff the nail plate at any time other than to ex foliate it before applying enhancements.
Any time you buff the surface of the nail plate you are thinning it. Avoid this at all costs at any time.
A temporary surface dehydration is just that. Apply SolarOil and moisturize those plates .. that is what they need not buffing and thinning. SolarOil is so light and so penetrating that you can even do this before applying a new set of nails provided you Scrub Fresh well.

This is normal, Acetone dehydrates the nail.
After a removal I send my client to wash their hands then apply Salon System Profile Protect oil.
Derry

geeg said:
I have to differ with this advice.
It is never a smart or health conscious decision to buff the nail plate at any time other than to ex foliate it before applying enhancements.
Any time you buff the surface of the nail plate you are thinning it. Avoid this at all costs at any time.
A temporary surface dehydration is just that. Apply SolarOil and moisturize those plates .. that is what they need not buffing and thinning. SolarOil is so light and so penetrating that you can even do this before applying a new set of nails provided you Scrub Fresh well.

I didnt say to BUFF the nail plate after soaking off at all!
What I do is lightly wipe from just below the eponychium down to zone 1 in 2 strokes, one each side of the nail plate, I do no more than what we do as the final exfoliation with a buffer during prep before we apply the product.

I'm so pleased you all have the same happening too!

I am so very concious of too much buffing on the nail plate, as geeg say's it's not to be done!

I'm grateful to you all for the advice. Thank you all so much XXX

I do oil after using the white block if the client is not having a new set, but I didn't think I could put oil onto the nail plate just before applying a new set! But i will now. As yet i don't used creative products as i have not been on my course - that's january, so what could i use instead of scrub fresh for the time being?

Bev Rose said:
As yet i don't used creative products as i have not been on my course - that's january, so what could i use instead of scrub fresh for the time being?

You can still buy scrubfresh from CND even though you havent done your course it is only the enhancement products that you cant buy until then.

Hi Bev, if you are not using SolarOil, do not oil the plate first before applying enhancements. SolarOil is very light and will really penetrate but other oils are too heavy.

As soon as you re-apply your chosen system, the dehydration will disappear anyway so oiling is really not necessary before doing a full set. When you do use Creative, the SolarOil will penetrate through to the nail plate right through the enhancement to keep the natural nail conditioned and supple.

My advice is to use your current systems products until such time as you make a change. x

Thanks alot Geeg, i'll avoid applying the oil just now then.

I use NSI L&P and their nuture oil is very light, but i'll wait for my creative course and do my change over after that.

Take care XX

Bev Rose said:
I'm so pleased you all have the same happening too!

I am so very concious of too much buffing on the nail plate, as geeg say's it's not to be done!

I'm grateful to you all for the advice. Thank you all so much XXX

I do oil after using the white block if the client is not having a new set, but I didn't think I could put oil onto the nail plate just before applying a new set! But i will now. As yet i don't used creative products as i have not been on my course - that's january, so what could i use instead of scrub fresh for the time being?

You can buy scrub fresh and solar oil I am sure this is ok it you have not trained with Creative. It is other items that you can not get until you have done a course.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Caz xxx

I've called Creative's orderline today and a brochure is in the post! Can't wait to see all the goodies - am I sad?!

weird - the same thing happened to me yesterday - the nails looked dull, I drenched them with solar oil and told her to keep using it as it was just as good for her natural nails. i told her the colour was because the nails were temporaly de hydrated and would return to normal in the next day or so. The solar oild made them look normal. i hope I said the right thing?

there's a guy on ebay who makes wheat bags and he is making me 2 - each the size of one hand with enough wheat in to stay heated for 15 mins. I used foil yesterday with tip remover and a hot water bottle over.
The guy is gonna let me know if he has any "funky" fabric - as he advertises animal scenes and I want cow print!!

If you are doing a soak off i would recommend wipeing the surrounding finger with cuticle oil which helps stop the surrounding skin dehydrating, then when i have finished applying the fresh set, i always apply some oil again aound the cuticles. The nails will be fine quite quickly.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back