Who's in the right? So upset - advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I verbally agreed with the salon owner that the previous therapist (a relative) could do one job every other Saturday for one hour for a client that would not have anyone else.

For me, you started off on the wrong foot from the beginning...! The salon owner and your relative have no problem with taking your room, working on clients and you paying for it! There are no friends here! It is wrong of them, but that generally doesn't stop people doing things like this. You have to have it in writing, speak to the owner and tell her how you feel otherwise she may not know.....just because she owns a salon doesn't mean she knows how to do it well!

Last edited:
It's not my relative, it's the salon owners! I've been a idiot!!
Going to ask for a private word tomorrow and get it out in the open... Just hope I can word it right!
For me it is purely about my business, she needs to understand that by giving clients the option of another BT/day then they may go with her and therefore taking money away from me! Resulting in me maybe not being able to pay my room rent in the future (or my child care) meaning we both lose as the other BT can't commit like I can!

I agree with the above verbal in business is always a no no!
You should have exclusive rights to clients if you provide all beauty treatments otherwise what is the point?
I would advised you now get something in writing, which is a reasonable request, however this situation does not sound good at all.
I tend to agree with mrs clooney get your stuff and get out!
No contract, then no notice period either!

Good luck let us know how you get on :)

I'm paid up for another 6 weeks! Paid 3 months up front to get a lower rate...

I would get out, and move to somewhere that doesn't treat you like this & who deserves your hard earned rent ! Have you also considered how you would stand regarding any business insurance you may have ? As technically the other beauty therapist would be entering your beauty room without your consent !
Wishing you the best of luck & hope things turn out good for you whatever you choose to do in the end.

Sorry if I misunderstood the relative part - don't be so quick to run just yet - I'm not sure why everyone advises to do this as this isn't always the best solution but seems to be the most commonly advised one. Try and resolve it by talking to the owners first one you have established whether they are prepared to make changes and put them in writing only then think about moving on. .. you may be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you wanna stay there request a contract NOW.
You pay for a month so the room is yours for a month and NOBODY is allowed to enter it - under no circumstances.
Being in your shoes I'd find another place though as there's no point of staying there even with the contract.
I've got a feeling that you've been used to only cover BT that worked there before for her maternity - this girl is very likely to come back and you'll be asked to leave. That's why she carries on treatments on her best clients - imo she'll be back. No chance to win with the family.
Good luck with finding new room quickly :)

Does the manager have an agreement with the previous beauty therapist that you are aware of?
Did the previous BT leave?

Looking at this from your point of view I would not be happy if I had agreed to rent a room and the salon owner is allowing someone else to use it.

Tell the owner you are not happy with this arrangement. I know you already have, but sit them down and explain.

If the other BT is using the room when you are then surely they should be paying rent when they use it. x

Leely x

If you pay for the room for the month it should be yours & yours only. I would not be happy. But sounds like you've invested in the room as well as your business.

If you really want to stay there, id be asking for a reduction in rent or be looking else where.

Xx

Explain it to the owner this way:

It would be the same as renting a house, but when you go away on holiday the owner decides to let his/her family stay in the house.

It's not on.

Wow! I can't believe this! No way is this fair, you have paid your rent and your building your client base. When the room is booked out with the other BT during your time I would be interested to know what the salon owner would do if you had a request at the same time? Say you lost out on a treatment, would she reduce your rent accordingly ? I used to own a salon a rent out to 7 different therapists and never would I do something like this, I would arrange a meeting and make sure your heard. Good luck x

Yep, you must talk to her, make her see reason. If she's going to be unfair I wouldn't stay. I personally would not want to work for a salon, Im associated with a salon because I have known the owner for yonks of years, so have an arrangement where if she has someone who wants thier nails done, she calls me in, it's 2 mins walk from me, and it works well for me, we have a 70/30 deal. infact, she gave me a room to operate from for a summer, rent free because she trusts me ! But i didnt need it as my home salon was going so well. But I work from home mostly, and mobile for 2 old ladies only as I've known them for yonks too.

Is there a chance you could work from home ? It's not for everyone.

Sorry if I misunderstood the relative part - don't be so quick to run just yet - I'm not sure why everyone advises to do this as this isn't always the best solution but seems to be the most commonly advised one. Try and resolve it by talking to the owners first one you have established whether they are prepared to make changes and put them in writing only then think about moving on. .. you may be pleasantly surprised.

I don't believe everyone else thus far is advising the OP to be quick to run.

The general consensus is to try to talk it through initially and at this point, getting out does not appear to be the most common advice as quoted above.

I don't believe everyone else thus far is advising the OP to be quick to run.

The general consensus is to try to talk it through initially and at this point, getting out does not appear to be the most common advice as quoted above.

Just change my 'everyone' to 'some' ..'a few' 'lots' a 'couple' 'six' 'three' .... whatever you like.... it really isn't so important to me..... I've probably read so many posts that read. .'just leave' it was just a flippant statement.

I'm sorry that this happened to you as it happened to me too. Even though I had a written contract.

I agree with the previous poster that said that you might be being used to cover this girls maternity, and wont have a chance if they ask you to leave when she wants her place back. I would be wary of building up a business "for her".

You could write the contract yourself, including all or your requirements, but being fair, and ask her to sign it. You don't need to wait for her to write it.

Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to reply.
I am going to speak with the owner tomorrow to see if we can get this resolved.
If it goes well and if I think we can continue to work in the same building together then I will be insisting on a contract moving forward...
I will update tomorrow or Sunday so that you know how your advice panned out!
Thanks again x

I once entered into a business arrangement on a verbal contract. It ended up with the other party suing me for nigh on £20k.
They lost.
I nearly lost my mind, my marriage and my livelihood.

Bottom line is if you have a written contract it just makes it easier for the solicitors to understand the business arrangement if a situation goes legal. It doesn't guarantee that it won't go legal!

Before you go into your meeting with her write down your understanding of the arrangement, your understanding of the current situation, why you think it's not acceptable and what will resolve it.
Take 3 copies. One for you and two for her. One for her to scribble on, rip up, throw at you, and one to give her if she does.
Put a time limit on her to resolve it.
Be prepared to spend a couple of hundred quid on a solicitor if she won't play nicely.

How did t go? x

Well? How did it go?

Update! Well I advised the salon owner on Saturday morning that we needed to talk, she had an appointment to attend Saturday afternoon but advised we would talk when she got back! She didn't come back to the Salon that day!
I myself don't work sundays, Mondays or Tuesdays but I am back in the salon tomorrow and intend to speak with her then...
I have a nice list to take into the meeting with me, thanks to the Geeks and having some extra time!
Tomorrow's the day, wish me luck :)

Good luck, hope you get sorted xx

You don't need luck; what you need is a clear understanding of what you want, what was agreed and a way forward.

Good luck. You have put time and effort into setting up there and apart from the 'family member' issue, It otherwise seems like a nice set up for you so I hope it can all be resolved amicably. Xx

Hope it goes fairly for you. Get something in writing. Best wishes x

They are taking the p*** out if you. If it was me I would cut my losses and leave now.

Alternatively, as you have paid for the next few weeks and you really want to get your money worth I would insist that the other therapist only works for one hour on alternate weekends as agreed. You will however have no control over the days that you are not there unless you spy on them or lock the damn room!

This is a bum deal, sorry I feel for you I do, but if you can't fix it learn from it & move on.

Good luck. x

Latest posts

Back