Who's making money with Garra Rufa fish Pedicures?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just got a Fish Spa in my salon.

It is not ready for use yet as you have to make sure the water is spot on before the fish arrive.

My salon is based in a small ex mining village. We have had SO much interest and people buying vouchers already. The local paper have been out and done an interview about it and environmental health have been and assessed and are happy.

We have bought our tank outright so no expensive lease costs. I will make it a success. Failure is not an option in my world.

The location is vital I think.

PS I decided to start my own after visiting Appy Feet @ meadowhall. It removed my dead skin and relaxed me beyond believe and yes Geeg I have been back many times.

I will be very interested to hear all about it 6 months from now. I don't wish anyone to fail ... Far from it ... I do however think there is a huge echoey silence in positive answers to my question. Maybe I've missed some posts in this thread. Good luck with it.

I too think it is a total gimmik and my clients that have been once have not been back! Apart from the hygiene aspect I too feel so sorry for those fish!

What did your friend do with the fish when she got rid of the tanks??? I hate to think:sad:

My brother has an Aquarium shop (for 24 years) and I've often wondered how the fish survive in a salon environment with the possibility of fumes entering via the airline, sprays being carried through the air and going in the tanks etc? To hear that some salons have to do a full water change everyday is horrendous as fresh tap water is not good for fish at all!

I will be very interested to hear all about it 6 months from now. I don't wish anyone to fail ... Far from it ... I do however think there is a huge echoey silence in positive answers to my question. Maybe I've missed some posts in this thread. Good luck with it.

I think when you have been around as long as you and I Gigi then you see things come and go. They cause a stir at the time and then fizzle out. I am sure you have spent money on things like this as I have.

As long as you can make your money back and not be out of pocket it is fine but everyone has to remember that the companies who sell these things are in it for a profit for themselves so you must approach it with your eyes wide open.

I wonder what will happen to all these poor fish when this craze is over, especially the ones which are not the real deal! :|

I have a Fish Pedicure Spa. Dedicated to fish pedicures. Im making money. Wehave been opened for 3 months and it is going great. We have quiet days but we always reach are minimum target. We arent in this for the long haul we will be moving into the beauty industry.

I do think it is a fad, it has been very very popular. We have repeat customers but mainly it is a mix of first time locals and holiday makers. i think there is plaenty of money to be made providing you have all the right equiptment and know about keeping tropical fish. There is maintance There are do's and dont's regarding the care of the fish. We love our fish and very rarely loose a fish. We started with small fish but soon added big fish but they dont eat our little fish. They are happy little fishes.

We do consulations with clients and refuse anything even slightly suspcicous. The ladies that work in the spa are fully trained beauty therpaists and are keen to provide clients with a great experience.

We also offer a file and polish.

I personally will not get involved with groupon. They want you to offer 60% discount and then take 50% of the price charged! for us that meant making £2 per client.

I think it is all about location, you need to be seen by as many people as you can.

J x

I have a Fish Pedicure Spa. Dedicated to fish pedicures. Im making money. Wehave been opened for 3 months and it is going great. We have quiet days but we always reach are minimum target. We arent in this for the long haul we will be moving into the beauty industry.

I do think it is a fad, it has been very very popular. We have repeat customers but mainly it is a mix of first time locals and holiday makers. i think there is plaenty of money to be made providing you have all the right equiptment and know about keeping tropical fish. There is maintance There are do's and dont's regarding the care of the fish. We love our fish and very rarely loose a fish. We started with small fish but soon added big fish but they dont eat our little fish. They are happy little fishes.

We do consulations with clients and refuse anything even slightly suspcicous. The ladies that work in the spa are fully trained beauty therpaists and are keen to provide clients with a great experience.

We also offer a file and polish.

I personally will not get involved with groupon. They want you to offer 60% discount and then take 50% of the price charged! for us that meant making £2 per client.

I think it is all about location, you need to be seen by as many people as you can.

J x

I really enjoyed this post, it is lovely hearing from someone who is informed and realistic and is providing a truly professional experience to your clients.

I just wanted to say that really! :D

I have been told that you cant have any fake tan on as it poisons the fish - if this is the case (and I dont know for a fact) isnt this giving a fairly limited customer profile?? I also think it depends on location and not repeat business I live near a busy destination shopping centre who have a 'happy feet' just this treatment and its always busy I would guess because its a novelty and a 'tourist attraction' in affect and relies on tourism and not repeat business that an established proffesional salon does - I guess the positive and I hope anyone who does have these in their salon is succesful - is that it is a pull factor for new customers and evan if they only have 1 treatment theres an opportunity to sell other treatments to them and gain a client from it .... a good marketing opportunity maybe??

I saw these at Olympia Beauty last year, wasnt brave enough to try it, we have tropical fish at home and i dont even like putting my hand in there! I did ask lots of questions, and if honest i thought the set up costs and the cost to maintain the tanks was high, i was worried about cross contamination and hygiene. Fht did a brilliant write up on it in their mag this month.
Its all the talk, so i decided i must be brave... i went with a friend and her daughter to a turkish bar where they have them. he told us he got his own tanks and equiptment and just brought the fish. also does the water changes etc himself, which cuts running costs down.
we had to fill out a consultaion form, but he didnt really check our feet. it was a nice dark room, with soft blue lighting, there was a tv, mags to read. it was tranquil, calming and peaceful, though a strange sensation when those fishies first start nibbling, but you soon get use to it.
my feet felt softer, but then they will after being in water for half an hour? but i came home and uses my foot file! so i didnt think the results were great.
i have heard its best to go in the morning, when the fish are hungry, but im still not convinced the results will be that much better?
i think i would rather have a tradition pedicure, file and paint in future! x

I know this is an old thread just wondered if those that replied after having success with this still are.

I wasn't going to invest at first but I thought it was a good idea to get in clients to market to after. Bit worried about dead fish though and having to clean out the tanks every day. Why do you have to do this if there are UV Sterilising lights and filters?

Just curious if anyone can put anymore input on this.

Thanks

Appy Feet in Cheltenham 1.30 on Saturday afternoon, town absolutely rammed with shoppers. It was totally empty, not one single customer, same when I passed again after cup of tea and a slice of cake! :wink2:

Appy Feet in Cheltenham 1.30 on Saturday afternoon, town absolutely rammed with shoppers. It was totally empty, not one single customer, same when I passed again after cup of tea and a slice of cake! :wink2:

Would you have gone in if they had cake?! ;)

Noticed the same thing in Skipton in North Yorkshire the other week ... not a soul when I passed and an hour later not a soul again.

Noticed the same thing in Skipton in North Yorkshire the other week ... not a soul when I passed and an hour later not a soul again.

Geeg, you were in Skipton?!?!?!

Yes ... I lived in Appletreewick for years and years and Skipton ios like home to me.

Wow, so close!

Well, you shudda called me!! lol :lol:

To be honest, I was mega surprised Skipton even had a garra ruffa fish spa even if it was just an empty one !!

Well, you shudda called me!! lol :lol:

To be honest, I was mega surprised Skipton even had a garra ruffa fish spa even if it was just an empty one !!

Lol :D it has 2 in fact - that one in the court (I am thinking that's the one you saw) and then one within a hairdressers. I walked past it before and all the lights were off :S!

Latest posts

Back