Who's making money with Garra Rufa fish Pedicures?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
I just visited a friend who has a lovely salon a couple hours south of where I live in Spain. 3 months ago she asked for my thoughts on Garra Rufa Fish pedicures ... so I gave her them :lol: ... but who listens if what they hear isn't what they want to hear?

So I go down to see her and the tanks are all being removed from the shop and carried out. What's happened? Some go once and never return ... she wasn't making a dime and the maintenance costs have eaten up any small profit.

Now this is a good salon with a high end image and she has a great business there with nails, hair and beauty and specializes in CND Spa Pedicures. She's been in business for more than 20 years so we are not talking about any 'fly by night' sort of person.

So my question is, Is anyone at all actually making any money out of this treatment?

I was thinking of getting one in my salon. I decided to wait until the health and safety brigade had finished their investigations. We have had 3 places in my town start doing them in the meantime. 2 are existing beauty salons and I know a few people who have been there but I don't know if they are busy.
The other is a brand new shop that just does fish pedicures. They have 8 tanks and they are busy. I get clients coming in all the time saying they have been and had one but I'm still not sure if it is just a fad. Time will tell I guess.
I also didn't fancy the thought of having to go in on the days the salon is shut to feed the fish and change the water.
I suppose if the fad lasts long enough to be able to pay off your original investment plus make some money then that's all good. I'm still undecided though!

In a busy shopping centre about 20miles away from me there was a shop opened up only doing fish pedicures. The first few weeks seemed really busy but now when I go past your lucky if there is one person in!
I think it was just a craze to begin with as there was nothing like it up here! I think a lot of people would rather go to a salon for a pedicure with polish, cuticle work etc for not a lot more money than these people charge for 15 minutes in the fish tank!!

The thing is, that the fish aren't half as effective at removing dead callus as a proper pedicure done by a professional. People go once to have the experience for a bit of fun and then nada!

I don't even think it is a fad .. I think it is a giant gimmick!! An expensive, giant gimmick at that. I wouldn't invest a single brass farthing in it ... it gets a big thumbs down from me on every level for a salon.

I haven't heard one single professional rave that they are making money with fish pedicures. More importantly, I haven't heard one single client say that they would repeat the experience.

Totally agree... I tried it once just to see what it was like but wouldn't go again!
I would rather spend my money on better things than garra rufa fish tanks. There is a salon close to us getting the fish tanks but I think they will regret spending all that money on them, I can't see them making a profit!!

I stopped myself from investing purely because I wanted to see what the health and safety legislation would be around it and also on reflection nothing beats a damn good pedicure -

My job is mostly feet and I get asked why havent you got those fish in most days its now getting on my nerves

As to the question, I dont think you could make your money back or a living from it - there is alot of time in keeping them and from what I have heard stocks of fish are expensive to buy, I have often wondered why though you would need to keep restocking fish (my tropical fish have lasted years), my conclusion is because they are all dying. So really they arent in my opinion suited to the kind of conditions they are being kept in.

Also, insurance wise someone has to be sat in the vicinity of someone having this treatment - how cost effective can that be???

Does your friend geeg now regret her descison? I had often thought - what if but I certainly know I made the right descision about cancelling my order back in March - and have no regrets at all.

I think they will all be lucky if they come out even, time taken for therapist to sit there, time taken to do the water, time taken to wash towels etc, time taken to order fish, time taken to discard dead fish (eek where are they going), time taken etc etc etc

I rather suspect that there are people making lots of money out of it. But I think it's the people who are selling the fish set ups.

very very true Angel

The salon I work in has 2 fish tanks. I am not sure if they are making any money out of it. We do have a few ladies that come in regularly to have it done, they tend to be older ladies.

They are a pain in the arse to keep. Nearly every day we have at least one or 2 deaths. Last week, 5 died within the space of 24 hours. You have to make sure the pH balance of the water is right etc. They constantly need 'sweeping' for dead skin/fish poo/debris etc. They need a full water change every a day. The filters/tubes always need cleaning. It could almost be a full time job to look after them.

I'd say about 20% of the people who come for the fish pedi's pay full price (£10 for 15 mins/£20 for 35 mins)....the other 80% are from the Groupon deal we sold a few months back - along with a luxury neck and back massage, it gives us hardly any profit margin. About £2 I think.

In my opinion it's a hassle for something that's gonna loose it's novelty in a few months time. Then again I don't know how much they initially paid for the tanks/set up etc.

I have had people say that they would do it again, but apart from the few ladies I mentioned earlier, haven't seen anyone back yet....

Does your friend geeg now regret her descison? I had often thought - what if but I certainly know I made the right descision about cancelling my order back in March - and have no regrets at all.

She regrets it hugely .. she is down over the 3 months, she said, by 2000.00!! That is not funny. She said the maintenance charges ate up everything .. She never made a profit, never mind paying back the start up charges. Loads of dying fish and tank care .. she very much regrets it. Says her clients didn't think it came anywhere near the lovely experience of a Marine Spa Pedicure. It is not at all a holistic experience the way a prope pedicure should be.

Bah .. gimmick.

From a business point of view, the start up costs are high, and from what I can tell, the margins are very small.

From a client point of view - I don't value being put in a box and Just sitting there. I like going to a salon to be pampered and every place I've seen that has these is very conveyer belt like.

So the question is, who's winning here? Nobody (unless your a garra rufa fish supplier)

There's a place near me that normally charges £20 per person per 20 min session. They sometimes put on their facebook that they've had a 'cancellation' so 2 people can have it for the £20.

Their latest fb deal is if you book in on a Friday, you get a session for £5. Now, if they're busy with it, they're not going to do it for a fiver are they???

Like as already has been mentioned, nothing beats a proper full on pedicure with a scrub & massage & going out with painted nails. I know I'd rather spend a bit more & get a proper treatment.

Lets be honest, it's not a pedicure. It's a bit of skin removal. It was a gimmick.

Exactly a Gimmick

My previous business partner started up a fish spa, just fish nothing else. I used to pop in to do nails for her now and again if it was needed. This was the first spa like this on the south coast I think and she has made a huge amount of money from it. They take a lot of upkeep and care, not something I fancy doing!
She has made a lot of money from it but as there are more and more salons opening up now she is much less busy.
You're right, I would say about 5-10% of clients have repeat treatments, and you get a much better effect from a proper pedicure.
It's a passing fad and I'm sure it will be over before it's started.
She has made a lot of money from it, in the first few months she was booked back to back, think it's a question of being in the right place at the right time, an I daresay that time is coming to an end x

I haven't heard one single professional rave that they are making money with fish pedicures. More importantly, I haven't heard one single client say that they would repeat the experience.

I suppose if it's a fad or gimmick it might bring new clients to the salon who wouldn't normally come, but might try other services once you get them through the door.

Saying that, I don't think they are a good long term investment. As the fad will die out.

I've seen a lot of offers on groupon in my area recently for the fish pedicures as blue rose said if they are offering them so cheap they can't be very popular

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

They are a good treatment to offer for groupon as they don't cost you anything really and the tanks at already there and inexpensive compared to using products for a manicure/pedicure etc. I'm fairly sure that in a year we wont even be talking about them!

This is from a clients point of view.

I had one a couple of weeks back and it does not beat a pedicure. Went once would not go again unless was with friends and one of them wanted to try it.

I cant see how it is going to last the distance it really is one of those things you try once maybe twice it is not a regular treatment.

After I had it I was on the phone the next day booking my normal pedicure!

judgin by the amoun of them on Groupon....i'd say they've had their day.

Everyone wanted one when they first came out but now....everyones 'had' one and not really and desire to return.

Just the thoughts and feedback that seems to be in my area.

Wonder what happens to all the redundant Gara Rufa fish:eek:

Latest posts

Back