Why are they burning?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretty pink

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm fairly new to all this and even though i have been doing friends nails on and off for a few years i am now concentrating on this as my career. I have just started at a nail salon part time and still do my friends nails at home.

I just have a question....... At home I use star nails GF21 struture gel on and for some reason the nails burn when they are under the lamp. I thought it was the bulb in the lamp so I replaced it, but they are still burning!!! :cry:
I also bought a new tub of gel thinking maybe I had a dodgy tub. Any ideas what i'm doing wrong or is there anything i can do to stop the burning!!

Many Thanks for your help x x

first of all hello!!
are you using the correct lamp designed to go with your system?
or are you appying gel too thickly causing the exothermic reation?
are the clients nail plates over sensitive?
have they been thinned down too much?
im not a gel user, so im sure someone else soon will come along soon, and answer your queries
hth x

this often happens flower, dont worry toooooo much about it, i had the same prob and is often caused by

a. the gel is too thick
b. weak nail plates
c. thin nail plates

i was told to think of it as a contraction during labour, it spikes, then goes away, it dont last too long so client can cope with it

hope that helps

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to all this and even though i have been doing friends nails on and off for a few years i am now concentrating on this as my career. I have just started at a nail salon part time and still do my friends nails at home.

I just have a question....... At home I use star nails GF21 struture gel on and for some reason the nails burn when they are under the lamp. I thought it was the bulb in the lamp so I replaced it, but they are still burning!!! :cry:
I also bought a new tub of gel thinking maybe I had a dodgy tub. Any ideas what i'm doing wrong or is there anything i can do to stop the burning!!

Many Thanks for your help x x

this is heat spike, if you do a search you will find a lot of threads about it. i find the best preventative [other than making sure you dont apply too much gel at a time] is to hold the nails outside the lamp [but still in the glow of the light] for 20 seconds before you put the hand right in the lamp for a full cure.

Ooh, thanks for the replies so far! I said to my client its probably cos she has thin or sensitive nails. Good to hear that it has happened to other people though.....thought i was doing something wrong!! I think i will just apply 2 thin layers of gel rather than 1 thick layer.....i did have a rummage and found my notes from my training and it dosent mention anything about burning..oh well!

Thanks geeks x

oh... ya.. i guess those 3 reasons were why.... but i guess another reason maybe the gel touched the skin.... cuz i found out that each time when my sis put in her nails (and if the gel spread all over).... her nails are burning, but if i don't put gel too close, she's okay. so i guess this maybe a reason too?

so right now, i ask her to put in for 2 or 3 seconds, and take it out. it's okay right now

Another important thing is amount of photoinitiators.Star gels and UV cured acrylic are 6 W system and they contain high level of photoinitiators .Flash curing will help to minimize the heat sensation.

Latest posts

Back