WHY do some nail techs use drill?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry last post was not my reply lol,..,,dont know what happend, only last sentence is mine,,,weird:irked:

yes most definalty, im from nottingham that has over 20 veitnamese nail bars that ruin peoples nails.
people are scared and right to be because of them.
espeicaly older people lol if i got a drill out to some of my older clients they would freak out!!!!!!!!!!! lol

i Find this post offensive, there are many very good vietnamese nail techs, please don't generalise.
:irked:
also techs who use e files are not lazy, just educated!! :mad:

Some of the best techs use efiles.

check out the young nails website. you may learn something

I respect your opinion BUT your 3rd para is super scary!!!

Of course a hand file can cause dreadful damage but it takes a bit of effort that, hopefully, is only seen right at the beginning of training. 180 grit e-file takes millisecond to cause horrific damage (as seen on here recently in glorious technicolour).

Over the lunula and pushing the eponychium back!!!! Horrific!

In the UK we have Occupational Standards and an industry Code of Practice that provides guidelines for acceptable working practices. These state that an e-file should never be used on the nail plate.

I can't see why, with modern and good quality products, you need such aggressive preparation? Normal cuticle care and a few swipes with a 240 grit does the job. By the time you've disinfected and changed the bit the job's done (well almost)

i use a handfile to prep, but only becuase its faster for me... there is absolutely nothing wrong with using an efile to prep the natural nail as long as the proper bit and appropraite RPM's are used. again, it goes back to being trained, you are not going to cause horrific damage to anyone in any amount of milliseconds with an electric file or a hand file if you know what you're doing. They are both nail files, they do the exact same job -- whichever method one chooses is merely personal preference and not a matter of safety or sanitation:)

hiya, I have been thinking about getting an e file for a couple months now. I have been asking clients if they have ever had a tech use one etc and they are very positive about it, there are no NSS in the area so they wouldnt know about all of that etc. I think for some rebalances it would help cut down my times etc. So after reading this thread I have decided to go for it, im thinking young nails or NSI but does anyone else have a sugestion for me xxxx

Perhaps you misunderstood my post. Regardless of personal preferences, mine or anyone else's, in the UK use of an e-file on the natural nail is considered an unacceptable working practice. This is upheld by the Industry Authority, the National Occupational Standards and the Health & Safety Executive. This, in turn, affects our Environmental Health Depts and insurance requirements.

I happen to agree but the advice I am giving on this thread is based on those facts

I don't use an e file, but then I have nothing against anyone using one... each to their own I think..

However, this...

in the UK use of an e-file on the natural nail is considered an unacceptable working practice. This is upheld by the Industry Authority, the National Occupational Standards and the Health & Safety Executive. This, in turn, affects our Environmental Health Depts and insurance requirements.

... I found very interesting. Thank you Marian - yet again - for this useful piece of information.

I respect your opinion BUT your 3rd para is super scary!!!

Of course a hand file can cause dreadful damage but it takes a bit of effort that, hopefully, is only seen right at the beginning of training. 180 grit e-file takes millisecond to cause horrific damage (as seen on here recently in glorious technicolour).

Over the lunula and pushing the eponychium back!!!! Horrific!

In the UK we have Occupational Standards and an industry Code of Practice that provides guidelines for acceptable working practices. These state that an e-file should never be used on the nail plate.

I can't see why, with modern and good quality products, you need such aggressive preparation? Normal cuticle care and a few swipes with a 240 grit does the job. By the time you've disinfected and changed the bit the job's done (well almost)

Here's the rub - it is incorrect to assume my prep is aggresive - I have my e-file set on its lowest speed and the bit barely skims the surface of the natural nail - believe me - I wouldn't do it if it caused damage or pain. I have been extremely well trained and unless you have tried it you cannot know how little pressure there is.

I respect the UK's standards because I can understand how much damage CAN be done by an aggressive or inexperienced tech and they are trying to protect the public- but we cannot all be tarred with the same brush. I have NEVER caused any nail damage with the prepper barrel.

The scary part to me is that in Canada there is no requirment for training with an e-file and there are no standards set - leaving it up to the individual to seek appropriate training. The UK is miles ahead of us that way.

CAN cause damage is so very different from WILL cause damage.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Just because my way is different - doesn't mean it is wrong.

Respectfully yours,
Melanie

Last edited:
I agree with you Melanie. I don't use the efile on the natural nail as I don't find it any faster for me but I would if it was. Greg Salo does and if it is ok for him when he has his reputation to think of then it is ok for me. My efile has absolutely revolutionised my work and allowed me time to be far more adventurous in colours and design.

There is never only one way in anything but there should be more affordable education for everyone in all aspects of our business and no pressure on anyone to use or not to use an efile. :)

Melanie, I do appreciate what you are saying and also that you've taken the time to explain your view point. Everything is safe in the right hands and your description of how you do your prep is extremely useful.

The UK (like most other countries I'm sure) has far too many people who won't pay for training or go on the shortest, cheapest course possible. This site, almost by definition, is full of those very new to the industry. We have had many, many horror stories regarding e-files and have had to work hard to get any standards in place and these are set at the safest level possible for a beginner.

So many reading your original post who do not put education and experience as high on their priority list as it should be will assume it is OK to use an e-file on the nail plate regardless of national guidelines and level of training. With this in mind, I will always encourage the safer approach and point out hazards unless there is some fact to support anything different.

While you haven't changed my mind in general I can see more of your argument in the usage of the e-file. Your description of the process demonstrates the big difference in technique to how so many view the use of and e-file and how they see it being used in so many salons. I hope many read your post, not to suddenly start doing a similar thing, but to understand the importance of good training followed by practice and then experience. Then methods and opinions come from an educated stand point as yours does.

Well, i also use and E-file, i use it mostly to remove bulk when doing rebalances, but it besides speed i also think it has other benefits. It find it very precise, so you can really just file what you want, this is particulary good for sore breakages. You can file the lifted product around the crack without much pressure causing no pain to the client.
From what i've learned e-files can be used safely to prep natural nails, i don't do it because i usually used the hand file tho shape and prep at the same time, but it can be done with the right pieces, and enough knowlege and practise.

Im scared of my electric file lol, I gave myself a horrible burn when i was starting out (thinking i knew what i was doing!) I now only ever use it occassionally to thin down the underneath of the free-edge if it looks a bit bulky! But Im still too scared to take down the bulk for an infill!! x

Melanie, I do appreciate what you are saying and also that you've taken the time to explain your view point. Everything is safe in the right hands and your description of how you do your prep is extremely useful.

The UK (like most other countries I'm sure) has far too many people who won't pay for training or go on the shortest, cheapest course possible. This site, almost by definition, is full of those very new to the industry. We have had many, many horror stories regarding e-files and have had to work hard to get any standards in place and these are set at the safest level possible for a beginner.

So many reading your original post who do not put education and experience as high on their priority list as it should be will assume it is OK to use an e-file on the nail plate regardless of national guidelines and level of training. With this in mind, I will always encourage the safer approach and point out hazards unless there is some fact to support anything different.

While you haven't changed my mind in general I can see more of your argument in the usage of the e-file. Your description of the process demonstrates the big difference in technique to how so many view the use of and e-file and how they see it being used in so many salons. I hope many read your post, not to suddenly start doing a similar thing, but to understand the importance of good training followed by practice and then experience. Then methods and opinions come from an educated stand point as yours does.

Marian, I really do agree with you on many points. There is no regulation here on e-file use and very little avenue for training. I really think that there should be mandatory training with the e-file in Canada because I see so much horrific damage done with e-files. The UK is very progressive with its protection of the public and I really wish it was the same here. I offer e-file classes to try and help with education - but I can't force them to take it.

I do not advocate that beginner e-file users work with my method until they have some experience and practice. I, myself, didn't receive any training until 2 years ago - but until that point I hadn't used an e-file on the natural nail because I didn't know how.

I will make sure I am clearer in any further posts regarding use of e-file on natural nail plates because I do not want to encourage new users to work this method.

Thank you for pointing that out to me - because your point is very, very valid!

Hello, First Post! Hello everyone!

I feel that E Files are there to make the job easier and if it is going to make it easier, why not use it as long as you are qualified! I personally find that manual files can do just as much damage as E Files if not used properly! JMHO :cool:

I use an e-file and I hand file. I have had several clients who have come to me from a NSS and have horrible damage (some with rings of fire down to the nail bed) I know from this damage that they are probably scared of the electric file and the first thing I do before even turning my e-file on is educate them on the fact that when used properly the e-file is a great thing and that getting your nails done should NEVER hurt.
I also think it is really important that we as nail tech refer to the electric file as an electric file and not as a drill. I certainly wouldn't want anyone coming at my hands with a drill but an electric file sounds like a reasonable tool for nail care. This is just something that we had discussed in school and we were often corrected for calling it a drill because of how it could possibly make our clients feel.

I use an e-file and I hand file. I have had several clients who have come to me from a NSS and have horrible damage (some with rings of fire down to the nail bed) I know from this damage that they are probably scared of the electric file and the first thing I do before even turning my e-file on is educate them on the fact that when used properly the e-file is a great thing and that getting your nails done should NEVER hurt.
I also think it is really important that we as nail tech refer to the electric file as an electric file and not as a drill. I certainly wouldn't want anyone coming at my hands with a drill but an electric file sounds like a reasonable tool for nail care. This is just something that we had discussed in school and we were often corrected for calling it a drill because of how it could possibly make our clients feel.

HaHa, I totally agree, when I hear techs say 'drill' I automatically think of Black and Decker :rolleyes:

I have a good mix of clients youngest being 18 and oldest 69 and none of them have shown anything other than fascination! They love the fact that it is quicker for them and are amazed at the accuracy of the file.

There is absolutely no reason for an e.file to damage anyone it is just careless use and I know of some nail bars where my clients have been sliced and diced with normal files. It is the user not the files, of any kind.

I see you use gel, I use, mainly, acrylic. I don't use my e.file when doing gel as it is so much softer and easy to remove so maybe this is why you don't understand the reason for using these? :)

Yes my client base also ranges up to 74 and I use my e-file on all of them with no problems at all. Also, the majority really like that I use it on them, because their previous nail tech used a file and cut their cuticles/surrounding skin with it. I have been using it for over 3 years now and I even use it on the natural nail with no problems at all. (I'm thinking you're all going :eek: :smack: ) Yes I do use it on a very low speed with a fine sanding bit but my clients really prefer it that way, because with the majority, a file makes their teeth go jittery:). Some go actually like *pheeewww* when I do the first nail and say 'what a relief'.

I do no harm to their nails and some actually find that their nails are in a better condition when they take the gel/acrylic off then they were before. (this doesn't have anything to do with using an e-file but just to say that it doesn't do harm if used correctly).

I started using the drill because my elbow and wrist where starting to hurt from all the filing and it has helped me a lot, also taking less time when filing off the nail art/bulk.
I would never go back to filing the bulk with the usual file!

If used correctly an e-file is great and for many reasons.

I agree with Mely-Bely! Her technique is flawless! She is probly the most educated and most experienced Nail tech this side of Alberta. My nails are ruined from inexperiences Nail tech with Efiles. But Mely-Bely has my complete and total trust in anything she wishes to do to my nails. She is very gentle and frankly in my opinion the best nail tech I have ever had touch my hands.
I will take the Efile course and I will ask her as many questions as I need to. I am confident with her knowledge and skills I will not harm a client!

I agree with Mely-Bely! Her technique is flawless! She is probly the most educated and most experienced Nail tech this side of Alberta. My nails are ruined from inexperiences Nail tech with Efiles. But Mely-Bely has my complete and total trust in anything she wishes to do to my nails. She is very gentle and frankly in my opinion the best nail tech I have ever had touch my hands.
I will take the Efile course and I will ask her as many questions as I need to. I am confident with her knowledge and skills I will not harm a client!

Thank you Meille!

I am good, but do not consider myself to be even close to "the best" as I still have SO much to learn. There are some really amazing techs in Canada - but unfortunately we hear so much more about the bad ones than the good.

I am lucky to have very loyal clients/students and I think this stems from my need to help others and offer my knowledge up on a silver platter.

Marian has a very valid point however. I have been using an e-file for 12 years and never used it on the natural nail until I was properly trained 2 years ago.

I DO NO condone or suggest that any inexperienced e-file user touch the natural nail with an e-file unless or until properly trained to do so.

I am sure there are some other 'old birds' out there who remember the days before efiles became popular. I can remember seeing lots of clients who had the infamous rings of fire caused by hand files. I even had a girl who I had done makeup for on her wedding day call me up the day after to show me her fingers. She had her nails done at a local salon and they had filed through to her nail bed and then put the acrylic on top, she had puss ouzing from the side wall on 2 fingers and she was due to fly the following day to the Maldives. She ended up at A&E that Sunday night to get some antibiotics and go through a rather painful removal!

Those of us who love our efiles will not give them up and those that are totally against them may not even try them to see that they are not the scary tools of the devil but a really helpful aid in the right hands. :)

Thanks god for the e-file. If it hadn't been for it I'd have been god-knows-how-long with my client last night. She came in for a fill that should have been simple...

...except she's gotten in the habit of dosing herself with Crazy Glue if she cracks a nail or sees the slightest lifting!:eek: It had seeped and caked around her cuticles and there was no way my cuticle pusher could get through it. As it was, just cleaning that up, filing away where the cracks, and the crazy Glue around what lifting she had was an hour.:cry: I'm pretty sure it got under what lifting she had and made it worse too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back