Work placement girl what do I have to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixnewcastle

CND Education Ambassador Newcastle
Reaction score
Hey geeks, I've had a few girls ring me and enquire about work placements in the salon. Im still a new business so im not sure exactly what is expected of me to do this. I have also heard that the college pay you for taking them on.

Has anyone got any experience with taking work placements on or know much about them?

hey

i took a girl on for work placement and she was useless. she was a student at school. she was there only a week and i swear she was no good.

have worked with work placements in other salons as an employee and they weren't good either.

unless they're qualified i would say stay well clear because most of the time they're more hassle than they should be. not sure how anyone else has got on with work placements but just from my experience its not good.

hth xxxx

hey

i took a girl on for work placement and she was useless. she was a student at school. she was there only a week and i swear she was no good.

have worked with work placements in other salons as an employee and they weren't good either.

unless they're qualified i would say stay well clear because most of the time they're more hassle than they should be. not sure how anyone else has got on with work placements but just from my experience its not good.

hth xxxx

hi i just wanted to reply to the above post (i dont post very often) i havent had any experience of working with work placement students but i felt that the above was a bit mean ( dont mean to offend its not intended) Surely the student is there to learn from the qualified therapist so if she is "useless" isnt it up to the professional to guide her in the right direction?

you wont know what the student is like till you take her on, not everyone is the same....everyone needs some experience from some where to help them on the right path.
meme x:)

Hi,

When you do an NVQ at college you usally have 1 day a week in a salon. That is at each level 1 & 2, I know that some students of school age (14-16) usally who are not doing that well at school are also now able to attend college to start an NVQ also. So depending on what level learner you take on their abilities will vary.

My local college had a specific member of staff who looked after students on placements, I'm sure someone in your area would be happy to have a chat. You can also interveiw each applicant to find someone you thing will get on well in your salon.

Good luck:)

Yeah - the new diploma system of quals can be started from 14 years. It's at a very low level though. Hairdressing has started this Sep and I think I'm correct in saying that beauty therapy will be rolled out next year.

I think the younger students will be more college and college salon based though rather than out into private salons.

I have a girl on work placement with me. i dont get paid bt i also dont have to pay her (although i do). she is amazing. so keen, willing to learn, and on top of that she knows her stuff. she is an invaluable member of our team and i honestly can say that she is such a great help. she does her placement on a friday ands workson a saqturday with us. :)

Actually I've just remembered something. I know someone who had a girl on a work trial scheme from the Job Centre. She was fully qualified - just unemployed. My friend took her on in her new salon, she didn't have to pay her as the girl still collected her benefits for 12 weeks, in fact my friend got paid via the JC to take her on. She turned out to be absolutely fantastic and has been kept on, so now has a job. Result all round!

I know this is not exactly what you asked, but it could be a good way to get help in your salon.

Joy x

Thanks so much for all your advice. She sounds very keen but the only thing i am concerned about is that she lives miles away from the salon and has to get 2 buses to get to the salon and back. Also what about insurance?

That travelling could be tough for her in the winter. Does she not have a parent who could give her a lift?

As for your insurance - you could check with your provider. You would probably need to take on additional insurance.

I am double insured :rolleyes: I am with The Guild as a therapist and and am covered by BABTAC for teaching (paid for by my company). That gets a bit confusing so try and get one policy for you and and her, bearing in mind that you may get other WE girls in the future.

Joy xx

You could contact your college to ask them for their advice and also your local careers office. Someone would come out to you and exlpain what your options are.

we are looking into it aswell, but I believe england and wales run differently, so I wont give you our info in case it does not apply.

tigi

I also had a work experience girl come to work at the salon for a week, she was from a college further north about 40+ miles.
She was brilliant so keen always asking what else she could do,
If anything I was struggling to find more to keep her busy.
She also arranged accomodation for the week and never asked for any pay.
Lovely girl and I would give her a job if she ever applied to work with me again.

Thanks so much for all your advice. She sounds very keen but the only thing i am concerned about is that she lives miles away from the salon and has to get 2 buses to get to the salon and back. Also what about insurance?

I take girls on work experience from my local college and i have to have employers liability insurance to cover them while they are in the salon,
the college will send someone around to do an assessment of your salon and make sure you have everything in place that you need,
they are very helpful and will give you lots of advise, hth

Thanks for that everyone. She's coming out tomorrow for a little chat and im doing a trade test with her. Just file and polish on hand red and one hand french to see if she can do any treatments at all. To be honest i think it'll be fab to have some help on the run up to xmas since it's just me and i cant answer the phone all the time and do all the little jobs that she could help me out with

hey

hth xxxx

Maybe that was just a one off? Im looking for expierence at the moment and alot of people seem to forget that they trained once and were in my position. Seems sometimes it goes straight out the window once they are qualified

I've just taken someone on from college. Only done 1 day so can't really comment so far. As for insurance she is covered by college while i'm there but if i wanted to leave her i'd have to take employers liability insurance

Aswell as owning my own nail salon and private training school, i also teach at college and my level 2 nail services have just been out on work placement, our college doesnt pay to the placements but I would say it is a valuable part of their training, they get to see what it is like in the industry.
I must admit there are better students than some, so I urge you to ask to interview them first, or give a list of characteristics and skill you require from them.
Dont forget that they will not be insured to do treatments on paying clients, but could pamper you if its a quiet day.
Our college provide the salons with a pack that gives them ideas of what to do with the students.
Hope this helps Amanda:)

Thanks for that amanda that helped alot actually. The thought of getting a little bit pamper is bliss!

Latest posts

Back