Working from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardo

Reaction score
how many of you work from home?
I'm thinking of turning my backroom in to a salon. I work one day a week in a hairsalon providing a full range of beauty treatments but finding it a waste of money these days. I have alot of comitments these days and would sooner be able to work more flexiable hours, there for having more hours to provide treatments.
Just wanted to know how you work it around home life etc. And do you find clients prefer this? I dont want to go mobile as Ive done this in the past and its so much hassle.

Hi hun i work from home and its works well for me as it gives me the flexability that i need not much help i know:green:

Hi
I work form home and I love it! I work part time around another job and I can't wait for the days when I'm at home- working. Working from home makes me feel more relaxed and in turn makes for more relaxing treatments. My clients love it too as they don't have to worry what they look like after a treatment as they don't have to walk through a busy town centre to get to their car. I've converted a downstairs room so that access is easy for clients, I have a downstairs toilet just inside the front door, it has worked out really well for me. Take a look at my website, www.beautyandbeyondathome.co.uk go to the gallery page to see my home salon. Would definately reccomend working form home.:smack:

I have a home salon, and my clients love it because they say it feels far more personal than being in a commercial premises. If you check out my website you will see that it is professionally fitted out, and I am fortunate that owing to the geography of my house, my clients go straight up the stairs and into the salon without having to intrude into the rest of my home. I can offer my clients very flexible hours (0800hrs to 2200hrs, 7 days a week), and I can do housework and admin inbetween appointments.
I also have private, free parking, which lots of clients tell me is a big plus!

I also have a home salon and it works very well for me and my clients....working from home means i can offer out of hours apoinments...many of my clients work 9-5 Mon-Fri so booking in with me at 5.30/6pm on a weekday means they don't have to use their Saturdays.

It also means i am here to take the kids school and pick them up...here for holidays etc.

I can pop some washing in between clients and if i don't have someone booked in i can go out.

The only thing i don't get is passing trade but to be honest i wouldn't want it....i like apts only.

I have a home salon, and my clients love it because they say it feels far more personal than being in a commercial premises. If you check out my website you will see that it is professionally fitted out, and I am fortunate that owing to the geography of my house, my clients go straight up the stairs and into the salon without having to intrude into the rest of my home. I can offer my clients very flexible hours (0800hrs to 2200hrs, 7 days a week), and I can do housework and admin inbetween appointments.
I also have private, free parking, which lots of clients tell me is a big plus!

just peeped at your home salon it looks lovely!:hug:

i want one of the foot patch things you use ! Can i ask what it is?

sorry to hyjack the thread !

Thanks alot for your help, sounds really good and everything that I want. My worry is building the clients up. I lost all my record cards a few months ago, Or should I say I didnt loose them! (long and angry story) so Im going to have to rebuild most of my client base. I have free time but its all spread over the week so been in a salon is just a waste of time and money now.
Thanks again

and how nice does your room look! its lovely.

Hi, I too have a home salon. We have converted the back end of our garage so my clients park in the drive (we have space for two cars) walk through the garden gate and into my studio - they don't even have to come into the house. My clients love it, the privacy they get, not worrying about parking in the town and as has been said, they don't have to worry what they look like after a treatment.

Building up a good client base has been a downside for me though. I started off leaflet dropping, got a few from that, then it's been friends and word of mouth which has worked. Just not enough yet but because I work round another part time job its not desperate. I haven't done any sort of paid advertising yet but am thinking about it at some point to try and boost things a bit.

All in all I love the flexibility of being able to work around children, my other job, housework etc and plenty of other people have built up a great client base from home - I think it just takes time and patience.

Good luck with it all.

Siana x

well...... its done. I decided saturday morning I was on a mission, the backroom has been cleared and painted! and to be honest it looks pretty good so far :) just in the process of trying to contact all my clients and work out how to get new ones.

Hiya, glad to hear you've been so proactive! Well done you :green:

I would love to have a home salon but sadly I don't have the room. I was considering a 'lodge' in the garden, but that's not really big enough either (unless the kids would be happy without a back garden) :cry:

But I am lucky enough to have a friend who has given me space in her hair salon, so when I make enough, I'll buy a bigger house and do it then :)

Good luck hun, and post some pics, cos we'll all want a peek!

Calla - I have the very same nail station as you but mine's in the light wood effect :) Lovely room too, and Beauty & Beyond, yours looks lovely :)

I work from home as well, and would love a separate room for my own salon unfortunately I don't have the space so I work from my lounge, but it seems to work out quite well the clients don't seem to mind at all, in fact the rather enjoy the 'coziness' they say.
I think you find there are those clients that do prefer going to home based salons, they find them more friendly and less intimidating for some reason and that can only be a good thing for us ...
Good luck with your new venture hun...x

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this site but I'd just like to say that I've got so much encouragement and motivation just from reading everyone's replies to each other. It's nice to know that you have so much support. I've recently left my full time job as a PA to work from home as a Beauty Therapist and converted my second bedroom into a mini salon, haven't had any clients yet but only just started my leaflet dropping. I was getting a bit worried that it wouldn't happen but after reading all this I think I'll be patient and just keep on advertising as much as poss! Thanks guys!

Krystle.

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this site but I'd just like to say that I've got so much encouragement and motivation just from reading everyone's replies to each other. It's nice to know that you have so much support. I've recently left my full time job as a PA to work from home as a Beauty Therapist and converted my second bedroom into a mini salon, haven't had any clients yet but only just started my leaflet dropping. I was getting a bit worried that it wouldn't happen but after reading all this I think I'll be patient and just keep on advertising as much as poss! Thanks guys!

Krystle.

Good luck with your business Krystle...hopefully you'll get a few clients through the door in preparation for the festive season :hug:

To anyone thinking of or in the process of setting up at home, go for it, your clients will come it just takes time. If you have family it fits in round the kids (and my dog) brilliantly. It offers clients a very proffessional, comfortable, friendly, and personal service. Nearly all my clients are word of mouth although i do get calls from yel.com and a few from a leaflet drop that i did years ago. I have a purpose built room at the back of my house with under floor heating, a sink and all the equipment I need with a side entrance so clients dont need to walk through the house. Good luck (sorry for any bad spelling) x x

Latest posts

Back