Working on a set of nails created at an NSS?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy-Jayne

Reaction score
I've been in my new salon for just over a week, and already I have clients coming in from the local NSS wanting their nails sorted out having educated them on the dangers.

Today, I've been an absolute fool. I agreed to do a rebalance and then an infill on two sets of nails created at the same place. I knew I was letting myself in for some hard work, but oh my god, I never realised there would be so much. I feel so sorry for these people that I want to help them remove them, otherwise they will just try to peel them off themselves and end up in even more of a state.

This evening, I feel ill, really ill. I've never worked on MMA ridden nails before and I have firmly decided not to do them again. My chest has been very tight ever since I started them at 11am. I have all of the correct extraction etc but still I managed to get absolutely covered in the stuff inside and out! Already an asthmatic I have never had a problem with my creative products, or filing anyone elses for that matter.

My question being: Do you work on a clients nails if they're coming to you having been to a NSS?

In my opinion, I don't want to, and I don't think that from a Health and Safety aspect I should. I don't want to put myself through that again, and my clients, or anyone in my salon. Everyone could smell what was being filed off. I just don't want to lose potential clients though. But if I'm choosing between that and my health, I choose my health!

I almost feel like really quizzing the people on the phone about what they've had done before and if they say they've been to a NSS saying that I won't attempt to do anything unless the nails have been removed beforehand. Something I know would take hours for them to soak off, which in the end means they'll pick them off which obviously we don't want anyone doing.

Help geeks, Help! Any advice much appreciated.

xxx

P.S I'm going to complain to the Council about the NSS in question as a woman has come into me for a pedicure and been given a fungal infection on her toes, TWICE from the same place in a year. I'm taking pics and writing a letter!

I do work on nails from ex NSS and MMA....I usually just infill/rebalance them if they are sound (9 out of 10 times they are) it only takes a few visits before they have grown off and its just your work/product, especially after i have filled down the ridiculous length they all seem to have, rarely have i seen NSS nails that are an attractive length...:lol:

Because the MMA nails are rock hard and firmly adhered (purely cos the nail plate has been roughed up to within an inch of its poor little life) you will find that sometimes they don't need much doing....i don't bother to much about thinning it all down...as i ain't going to be bulking it up more with my product...just the regrowth area and a slither of new product over the top. Like i said, this is for a short while only until they have grown out.

Thanks Bagpuss, both that I did today had small amounts of lifting at the edge, so had to do a bit more filing. And in a strange way, they were all of an ok length and shape!

I just couldn't bare the smell and taste. It was making me wheeze, and NOTHING makes me wheeze! (Apart from a cough or cold!)

Do what they do and wear a mask...:lol:

Do what they do and wear a mask...:lol:

You know what, I was soooo tempted to get one out that had from my Tantrick kit, but the nail desks are in the sodding window! Anyone driving past can see! I could give off the wrong impression then nobody would come to me!

i dont touch nss nails anymore,
only because im in the position to be able to take it or leave it
i used to do as angie says, and rebalance, i would never remove, takes too long, and its better to leave it on as the damage has already been done, just let it grow out

nowadays when people call in or phone up, i ask where theyve had it done, if i think its a nss i refuse, . my excuse is that i dont use a e file and as the product is soo hard, i wont be able to remove it by hand file, then go a bit on to mma blah blah and send them elsewhere

:rolleyes: If I was busy enough I would turn these people away,but unfortunatly not long started up mobile, so Im appreciating the custom, espically after when they say, that looks alot better.

The only thing that hacks me off ,or worries me, as their nail beds are thinner,as being abused by the drill,when I do a rebalance, I usually use quite a course nail file from Sallys, as I aint recking my Ezflow ones,and Im just worried I might be doing more damage to the natural nail, but I sposse if I was theyd be screaming with the burning.

I had one a little while back who wanted french rebalance, she said Id done them too thick, I felt like sayiny ..if you didnt have that mma crud on your nails in the first place then they wouldnt look so thick,Im not gonna give me self shoulder ache filing those buggers down,I just gave her the blah blah ,didnt hear from her again,shes most probly gone back to them again to have a rebalance done since.

How do others feel about filing them down , knowing that the nail plate is alot thinner than the norm underneath?coz this is a worry to me.

Your right about the smell..there poooeee!!

Do as Bagpuss says, take the length down and infill the regrowth (as long as the nail is intact) let it grow out and you will keep your client when they see the amazing results after a few weeks care. Give the client your advice without giving unprofessional opinions about this other salon.

Mmm just bit confused about the apex situation, I brought this issue up the other day on here,is it ok to rebuild the apex on the mma goo, and will you get product breakdown or discolouration too from the nss nails?

I had the exact same thing yesterday and have just put a post on this morning. I too object to working in nss nails, the smell is awful. I had to get our receptionist to open the door and windows to let some air in!!:eek: This was the first set I had done from an nss and like you I'm not sure i'm happy to work on them again I felt quite sick after.....
Linds xx

I've been in my new salon for just over a week, and already I have clients coming in from the local NSS wanting their nails sorted out having educated them on the dangers.

Today, I've been an absolute fool. I agreed to do a rebalance and then an infill on two sets of nails created at the same place. I knew I was letting myself in for some hard work, but oh my god, I never realised there would be so much. I feel so sorry for these people that I want to help them remove them, otherwise they will just try to peel them off themselves and end up in even more of a state.

This evening, I feel ill, really ill. I've never worked on MMA ridden nails before and I have firmly decided not to do them again. My chest has been very tight ever since I started them at 11am. I have all of the correct extraction etc but still I managed to get absolutely covered in the stuff inside and out! Already an asthmatic I have never had a problem with my creative products, or filing anyone elses for that matter.

My question being: Do you work on a clients nails if they're coming to you having been to a NSS?

In my opinion, I don't want to, and I don't think that from a Health and Safety aspect I should. I don't want to put myself through that again, and my clients, or anyone in my salon. Everyone could smell what was being filed off. I just don't want to lose potential clients though. But if I'm choosing between that and my health, I choose my health!

I almost feel like really quizzing the people on the phone about what they've had done before and if they say they've been to a NSS saying that I won't attempt to do anything unless the nails have been removed beforehand. Something I know would take hours for them to soak off, which in the end means they'll pick them off which obviously we don't want anyone doing.

Help geeks, Help! Any advice much appreciated.

xxx

P.S I'm going to complain to the Council about the NSS in question as a woman has come into me for a pedicure and been given a fungal infection on her toes, TWICE from the same place in a year. I'm taking pics and writing a letter!

Hi firstly make sure you and all your clients sign the petition as we are working to get MMA baned, you will find it on my website signature-nails.co.uk: home page please, we need as many signatures as possible.

ust yesterday i had someone call me to ask me if i work work on her nss nails or if not would i remove them, i said no to both, i explaned i would happily do her a new set of safe nails but that she would need to go back to where she had them done and have them removed as i would not mix my products with what she had on, nor would i take hours to remove them and reveal her thin, painful, damaged nails, she called me today to say she was going back to have them removed and could i do a set for her next week, as long as we educate the public, be polite and explain fully the reasons for what we say, they seem very willing to co operate and of course once they know what is on their nails they are keen to get them off and it will be one less client who will go to these places x Dont risk your hard work, expensive training and reputation by working over their products. xx

The only problem these guys are having with these nss nail techs,is that they speak poor english,Ive had people tell me theyve told them there not happy with them and they didnt understand them ,theye got what they didnt want, just wondering if they might have problems getting them removed maybe.
I have signed the petition btw.x

The only problem these guys are having with these nss nail techs,is that they speak poor english,Ive had people tell me theyve told them there not happy with them and they didnt understand them ,theye got what they didnt want, just wondering if they might have problems getting them removed maybe.
I have signed the petition btw.x

yeah, its funny how they understand what they want to understand... like "you pay now" but yes never can understand english when theres a problem. i think the solution is keep fighting for MMA to be banned x please keep bumping up the thread girls, im wondering if peeps are confused as there seems to be another thread aswell as mine knocking aroundX the more the merrier. x

I do work on nails from ex NSS and MMA....I usually just infill/rebalance them if they are sound (9 out of 10 times they are) it only takes a few visits before they have grown off and its just your work/product, especially after i have filled down the ridiculous length they all seem to have, rarely have i seen NSS nails that are an attractive length...:lol:

Because the MMA nails are rock hard and firmly adhered (purely cos the nail plate has been roughed up to within an inch of its poor little life) you will find that sometimes they don't need much doing....i don't bother to much about thinning it all down...as i ain't going to be bulking it up more with my product...just the regrowth area and a slither of new product over the top. Like i said, this is for a short while only until they have grown out.

I had my first experiance of this just under two weeks ago and this is what I did. She's booked in for a rebalance next week and seems really happy.

It was a great learning curve for both of us. My first encounter with MMA and she now knows how that NSS operates and will NEVER go back. Happy tech and client.:green:

What I find "odd" about this thread is the fact we want people to know that we are better than NSS, what better way to do this than to demonstrate it?

I know it's a pain in the backside, but it's an opportunity to convert those that do go to NSS (and that's a huge market).

If you choose to ignore or reject these clients, then they will continue along the NSS route.

I suggest you initially allocate them more time, do the hard slog and educate them (actually your work should speak for itself).

You could build up a steady stream of "converts".

There are very few clients I reject, I reject clients that have ugly long nails that will entice clients that have nails I don't particularly like, I reject "flares" for the same reason .... and I reject pretentious bitches that don't appreciate me (expect more, yet pay the same). This accounts for very few.

I would never reject anyone that obviously needs my help and advice.

Perhaps, rather than committing to a complete refill, you can offer to "style and renew one nail", then you can see what you are in for, educate them, allocate a time for them in the future, get them addicted to you/your quality work and quote them on a price and service that has no surprises to either of you.

Must be lovely to turn away clients. Won't take long for the word to spread that they think you are "snooty".

I know it's a pain, but we have to educate these clients!!!

I wouldn,t send these type of customers away either but try to help them out.
What if they go back to have them removed and they drill half of their nails off :|
I would rather fill in then remove them since that part of the nail is allready damaged and their products sit really hard aswell...better to let it grow out.

Sorry for sounding stupid, but what is NSS??

Oh I see, thank you. So nail techs who aren't qualified and using MMA?

Its any salon or nail tech who has lower than expected standards...

Latest posts

Back