Would you do it again?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell yeah! I love it!! I'm so proud of what I've achieved and even though this week I had a health scare (I'm fine!) wouldn't change a thing!

I worked as an entertainer for 9 years & when I gave it up I ended up doing office work which made me miserable! I wish I'd thought about a beauty career earlier but at least I got there in the end!!

After 10 years of my own salon, I'd had enough, but this was exacerbated by the end of marriage. Trying to maintain my home without a regular guaranteed income, no sick or holiday pay, etc..... I needed stability!

I closed the salon, work full time doing 24/7 shifts in a police staff role and LOVE IT - got the position at aged 49 - life experience still goes a long way, so please don't think you're past it - pm me if you want any info x Difficult and stimulating, tiring, and a challenge - omg I didn't realise how mentally and physically boring I had become :eek:

Would I do it all again tho - ABSOLUTELY! Anything you do in life, if it is right for you at the time, is worth doing! Never look back, take opportunities when they arrive, and learn from mistakes. All old sayings, but relevant xx

Ah thanks for that....it's nice to have a few words of encouragement.

Don't get me wrong, I don 't regret doing beauty therapy and in fact it has really developed me further as a person and boosted my confidence in social situations but I do find it a bit boring and repetitive.

I do resent people (usually men) thinking I'm a bit thick and shallow because I do "beauty" when the total opposite is true.

However, I've invested lots of time and (hubbies) money into training and setting up and I've no intention of walking away just yet. I just feel a bit isolated and bored at times. I'm not a training junkie and don't feel the need to get trained in the next "big thing" as 9 times out of 10, fads fizzle out pretty quickly so I'm not developing my skills further so feel a bit stale at the moment.

Wish I'd bitten the bullet and trained in the legal profession but may need to park that for the time being until I've built up a bit of money.

Ho hum.....sometimes, you have to count your blessings....I've got a great little business, great and grateful clients and a lovely supportive husband and I think I just have to focus on that for now!

PB
x

I absolutely adore my job its like an obsession! my only regret is wasting 10 years in office work I hated. When I think about where my business might be if I'd started it all those years ago it frustrates me but I'm trying to use that to make sure I make a success of it now.

After having a high street salon for almost 20 years, closing that & having a home salon was the best thing I did in some respects. I don't miss having a salon & all the hassles that go with it AT ALL.

I'm having a bit of a crisis of confidence this weekend over my Cognito Skincare business but I'll get over it lol. I'm looking forward to a great future with it & all the trials & tribulations with it so far I think will be worth it in the long run :)

Ah Belle Vie I feel exactly the same!

But, had I of started 10 years ago, I just would not have had the maturity then to carry my business to the level it needs to be, also my skills in beauty would not have been that great.

I am just starting up my business from home. I am surprised how well it is doing for basically zero advertising (just waiting for my website to be developed).

I can totally relate to other people saying all they do is think about their business, I am the same! It is on my mind 24/7 (is that bad?!)

I am still working in my crap office job, just waiting to take the plunge next year to quite completely. The time is right, you just know.

I wish the best of luck to anyone starting their own business.

xx

I would absolutely do it all over again. Having the same 9 to 5 job Monday to Friday is the most boring thing I can think of. I have very few commitments at the moment, so I am able to invest pretty much everything we earn straight back into the business. It's already starting to pay off, so hopefully it will just continue to grow and I'll be able to retire on a yacht in a few years!

100% yes

I have days where I cry all day because I get overwhelmed, and overtired. But every time I learn from it and get stronger.

I have my fair share of knocks, and struggles but I am in love with owning a salon and employing people. I can't wait to take it to the next level which is hopefully soon! A exciting opportunity has come up and I am so excited to explore and hopefully pursue the idea :)

I read somewhere

"If you love you job, you will never work a day in your life" (or something like that) and that's how I feel everyday (apart form the days where I completely melt down but this has only happened about 4 times in 2 years so not bad going!)

Twas Confucius who said that!

I would sooo do it all over again. I got the keys to my first premises after bring self employed in other people's salons for 7 years when my 2nd little girl was TWO days old! Spend the next 5 weeks with her in salon with me while a complete refurb was going on. It was so stressful at the time but now I do no homers so only 1 late night a week and have more time with my girls. Salon is going great and I've got another round of flyers going out today which will give it another boost. Hope the next 6 months are as good as the last:)

if i had to toss up between a lady of leisure to working id stick to working. id get so bloody bored. I would be in two minds to give myself the added stress of starting all over again, but its a challenge that im willing to take.

My main concern, is whether i should get a pre nup?! To protect my hard earned assets if i was to start all over again?! who knows! xoxo

If I could do it all over again knowing what I know now would I? Yes but I would do it very differently! Ive made A LOT and I mean A LOT of mistakes but I'm sure we all have! My business is still fairly new, will be our 2nd anniversary in August, I was only 22 when I opened the salon and was my first ever taste of business, I only knew the beauty side as an employee but I've learnt an awful lot and I am quite proud at when ive achieved at a young age with all the obstacles ive got through! Things are on the up but there is still a lot more I think the salon can do and become! Its all very exciting but VERY stressful at times. Especially times like this when its suppose to be June next week and its pouring with rain and very cold outside! x

I have rented a room for 3 years and have loved every minute of building up my clientele I am opening my own beauty salon on Tuesday and truly can't wait to see what the next 3 years have in store for me and my business.

I could never go back to working for someone. Xx

Wow, good luck for Tuesday!!!

Latest posts

Back