Wreckless article in Babtac's Vitality Mag

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
Okay, so we go one step forward and ten steps back in our bid to spread the word about the truth behind nail technology ...... I am appalled at the reckless article in the Vitality mag under a big spread "Focus ...... on nails" with the wording under an article about Calgel, it starts under the heading of "What makes Calgel different to acrylic or other forms of false nails?" a recent thread by Jaydee highlighted that we do enhancements (or at the very least extensions) and not false nails(okay I know they are false, but there's a lot of technology and skill that goes into a good enhancement, false nails implies stick on ones)

It carries on ..... "Calgel bridges the gap between a natural nail treatment and nail extensions in that it can be either used to coat the nail or extend the nail, but not at the compromise of the natural nail underneath the product. (neither do other products except MMA) Calgel iteslf is gas permeable (isn't that a fancy term for porous?) and so it allows the nail to respire (another fancy name for breathing) underneath it - allowing moisture out of the nail bed (?). Acrylic and other gels do not allow air through the nail bed. Wearing calgel on a long term basis will improve the condition of natural nail underneath.

The next para is headed "Why does Calgel not damage the nail? ....
Calgel does not damage the natural nail because of how the product is applied. The only thing which is is used before calgel is applied is a light buffer to remove natural shine of the nail (don't we all except poorly trained techs and MMA users). The gel is then applied. With Acrylic the natural nail is sometimes filed down so far that the nail is left very weak and brittle (see last comment). If the client wants to go the extra mile and have nail extensions, unlike many gels and acrylics you coat the nail with a base layer of Calgel and then attach a false nail tip on top (you can do this with any l&p or gel system). Any filing and shaping on top of the gel will not damage the nail, where are(their typo!) with other false nail treatments you will have a nail tip glued to your natural nail and then the nail technician will file the line between the tip and the natural nail, once again thinning and damaging the natural nail" (no - we are trained to file over the tip area only)

then in the next para they say " A good idea is to apply a gel to the natural nails, as this will help then to grow without breaking or chipping. Calgel is made from organic compounds which can be applied to nails in order to strengthen them

Oh woe is me, just off to compile a letter to Babtac to explain why I shall not be renewing my subs next year, they may be able to put a disclaimer " The views expressed in this magazine does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers" in its Contacts list, but surely they should take some reponsibility to the arcticles written.

PS Letter now written - and added some extra bits to the above as well! Will let you know if I get a reply

PPS Have also written directly to Calgel too

PPS I know I spelt reckless wrong, but it won't let me change it!! I do feel like a wreck though lol!

I'm glad i didnt bring my ironing round now...you would have burnt holes in it with all the built up energy..!!
Your so kicking butt this week, keep the good work up!

Vicky x

and......breathe! :eek:

It's appalling - I know the Creative team are fighting hard to stop this kind of thing - perhaps you should point BABTEC to the thread on here where it was discussed.

Scratch have listened to their subscribers and taken some responsibility, hopefully others will follow suit!

Isn't this the same company who recently apologized and promised to correct the misinformation???? Hollow words as we knew they would be.

They prey on the ignorance of the public re enhancements in general and unfortunately appeal to those who HAVE had bad nail technicians thinning out their nails, by promising them something different with their product.

It is an irresponsible approach that does nothing to aid the nail industry as a whole and most likely not a whole lot for them as a company either.

Natural nail health is still ultimately down to the skill of the nail technician and not any particular product.

:evil: When will the world listen it's a poor technician that damages nails not L&P, Gel or Wraps for goodness sake...dont they know they are all from the Acrylic Family..... stupid editor :smack: for not know whats what and printing such twoddle...and shame on Calgel for scare mungring propagandar which just brings the industry down, not building it up...

Well done Sassy :hug: for taking up the cause and being quick to react and your amazing pro-ative efforts,

I personally don't get this particualr article but I would love to see a copy so I too may respond.

Hi Lou, I am soooo on a mission this week! Have just e-mailed our local papers to see about publishing the articles we posted about a while back.

The text I have printed in red in the post above (printed it in red because that's the colour the article made me see - RED lol) is pretty much the sum of the article. It was not an advert and there was no mention of who wrote it. so can only suggest the words came from Calgel themselves (especially as the wording is very much in line with that on their website). I sent an email to every contact on their contacts list in the mag to try and get a response, but if you want to register a complaint then you can send it to [email protected].

Sassy Hassy said:
Hi Lou, I am soooo on a mission this week! Have just e-mailed our local papers to see about publishing the articles we posted about a while back.

The text I have printed in red in the post above (printed it in red because that's the colour the article made me see - RED lol) is pretty much the sum of the article. It was not an advert and there was no mention of who wrote it. so can only suggest the words came from Calgel themselves. I sent an email to every contact on their contacts list in the mag to try and get a response, but if you want to register a complaint then you can send it to [email protected].
Hi Ya, i beleive it is Calgel themselves that word this as this was exactly what my tutor told me when i took the Calgel Conversion course pretty much the exact words as above, looks like they learnt the script well! (can i add i actually have never used the product although i spent the money on the course. Misinformation entirely.

You go girl x

pmsl , i saw the article aswell :lol:

Just thought I'd update you all on this topic. I had a reply from Calbrook (calgel) and I wish I could print it out for you because they have some sort of confidentiality clause for their emails. Suffice it to say it is a load of b/s and doesn't address any of the issues I raised, just says they try to promote the benefits of their product and feels they are not misleading in their choice of wording blah blah blah blah blah blah!!!

Oh well I tried, still no response from Babtac so will give them another reminder.

Hi Sarah

well at least you got a response! pity you cant copy the e-mail i would have liked to see their response.

Sassy Hassy said:
they may be able to put a disclaimer " The views expressed in this magazine does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers" in its Contacts list,
maybe they should write " the views expressed in this magazine does not necessarily reflect the TRUTH" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on a slightly lighter note, if anyone sees sassy on her way to the calgel stand at excel, PLEASE intervene and take her to geek stand instead!:lick: ;) !

I think its great that your taking a stand on the misinformation thats sent out.
If more people did it, MAYBE the powers that be might sit up and take notice!

Debz xx

P.s just had vision of a wave of geek badges n t shirts heading to calgel!!!!:twisted: :Scared: :eek: (too much red bull I think!!)

Debz said:
P.s just had vision of a wave of geek badges n t shirts heading to calgel!!!!:twisted: :Scared: :eek: (too much red bull I think!!)
LOL!!!!!

Debz said:
on a slightly lighter note, if anyone sees sassy on her way to the calgel stand at excel, PLEASE intervene and take her to geek stand instead!:lick: ;) !

P.s just had vision of a wave of geek badges n t shirts heading to calgel!!!!:twisted: :Scared: :eek: (too much red bull I think!!)[/QUOTE

Could be a lot of fun !

Sorry still learning think I did it wrong. Didn't mean to steal your post Debz.

Don't worry guys I will be steering well clear of that lot, wouldn't want to get the first aiders in a panic as I go into a coronary, dying of laughter at the piffle they spout! lol

I found this thread really interesting. Last year at professional nails I made a point of visiting the calgel stand. A local hairdressers was offereing it and as potential competition I wanted to see what it was about. I'd only just taken my beginners courses in nail enhancements so i was really green but already new that there were some very dodgy goings on in my area with NSS. The obvious conclusion to make was that there would be loads of people wanting Calgel as an alternative.

I was SHOCKED by what the demo guy was saying as he showed off the products. At first he drew me in but very soon as the exact same sort of comments as you describe started to flow and I can remember muttering contradictions under my breath and shaking my head as I walked off.

Its really good that I'm not the only one to feel this way, I did wonder if it was because i was new to it all at the time and maybe I didnt have enough experience to understand the products benefits but obviously not.

I really think they should be prevented from making such sweeping statements.

emmad said:
I was SHOCKED by what the demo guy was saying as he showed off the products. At first he drew me in but very soon as the exact same sort of comments as you describe started to flow and I can remember muttering contradictions under my breath and shaking my head as I walked off.

It's funny but 'the demo guy' has been doing nails for barely 3 years (maybe that's why he thinks nails breath and trump at the same time :eek: - as many have also said - this is one way of selling product! I remember when the 'dg' was working for a semi permenant makeup/tanning company - Reza (something like that) - never to be heard of again (Reza that is) and then pops up as an authority else where! Jeez.... I've been doing this way too long :Scared:

Sassy Hassy said:
Don't worry guys I will be steering well clear of that lot, wouldn't want to get the first aiders in a panic as I go into a coronary, dying of laughter at the piffle they spout! lol

Mrs Geeks post made me chuckle in the same way....My hubby asked why "demo guy" looked soooo like he was wearing make up? I think I may now know the secret!!!!
:D
(ooops not laughing at Piffle Mrs G...it was perfectly chucklelicious!!!!)

Why dont you send the article over to Trading Standards Office, they'll look into it and if they find it to be false or misleading they will make calgel retract it and order them not to use it in further marketing/publications.

Latest posts

Back