Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Geeg I was wondering how long you would wait for a client if she was running late and what would be your cut off point where you would ask to rearrange the appointment? X

Hi Geeg I was wondering how long you would wait for a client if she was running late and what would be your cut off point where you would ask to rearrange the appointment? X

All clients know, that if they are one minute more than 10 minutes late, then I will only do what I can do within the time left as I will not keep an on time client waiting. It may mean them going home with nails without colour or another technician (in the past this was always a junior .. ) would be finishing their appointment for me. Remember I was always back to back.

If you do not have clients back to back then I suppose if 20 minutes had gone by then I would consider that the client was not coming.

Do you have terms and conditions for your salon and if you do where are all the places you display it?

Hello! I'm after a bit of advice regarding a client issue. Below is the corospondence (it's a bit long winded) I have had with her so far, and I just want some advice on where I stand; is my reponse ok? would she be able to take matters further? etc. She has visited myself for nails a number of times and has never complained about the condition of her nails. Thanks

26th March '13 - Client to myself

I am writing regarding a recent visit to your establishment on Tuesday 26th March 2013, after arranging an appointment with yourself for 9am. Upon arriving at your establishment, I was greeted by a respectable local business owner, to be told that you were currently ill and wouldn't be coming to the salon today. I found it particularly disappointing how I wasn't contacted prior to my visit, to be made aware of the issue in hand.

Furthermore, I took the decision to travel to another establishment to receive my Shellac treatment. The member of staff treating myself at this respectable establishment was absolutely horrified by the state of my nails after your treatment. After being treated at this particular establishment, I noticed a considerable improvement in the quality of my nails, and furthermore realised how disappointing the service you offer is.

I am very much aware that the £20 treatment that you offer myself and other customers does include the removal of the Shellac. However, I haven't received this removal off yourself and was forced to pay for this at another establishment. On top of this, I also lost several lots of parking fees. As a good will gesture, I kindly ask that you send myself a cheque, with a full refund for my service. I am hugely disappointed by the service you offer and of how I wasn't made aware that you wouldn't be open today.

5th April - Myself to client

I am writing in response to your letter dated 26th March 2013 which I have received this morning. Early on the morning of Tuesday 26th March 2013, I was taken ill and rushed to the Accident and Emergency Department at Southport and Formby District Hospital. As I was aware I had clients due in that day and I had no way of contacting them as all their details are kept at the salon, and I don’t have any members of staff. However, I did manage to contact Miss Sarah Tapper - the respectable local business woman who greeted you - whom I asked to greet you at the salon and explain that I wouldn’t be in the salon that day due to illness. As I myself didn’t know what the situation was at this point, I was unable to give Miss Tapper anymore information than she passed on to you. I was only discharged from the hospital on Friday 29th March 2013.

I am concerned as to why the member of staff at the establishment which you chose to visit, was absolutely horrified by the state of your nails. I use only the best, authentic CND Shellac polish and I have received full training by CND for Shellac. I use the correct CND Shellac removal protocol of cotton and foil, there is no soaking in bowls of acetone or filing the Shellac off the nail as many salons do, this is so the least amount of stress is caused to the client’s nails. Authentic CND Shellac is also free of any dangerous chemicals. I also finish all of my Shellac treatments by applying CND SolarOil to the nails and cuticles. With regards to the Shellac treatments which I offer, the price includes complimentary removal.

This is an unfortunate and exceptional situation. However, as I wasn’t being negligent by not being at the salon, and I had been admitted to Southport & Formby District Hospital, it is a situation which could not be avoided. There were a number of other clients whom also arrived at the salon that day and spoke to Miss Tapper, all of whom are happy with their nail condition and previous treatments. These clients have have since rearranged their appointments with myself.

Had I been able to attend the salon for your appointment that day, you would have had to pay the required treatment and parking fees. As I understand from your letter, you were happy with the treatment which you received from the establishment which you chose to visit. Therefore I will not be refunding the service or parking fees, as this was a totally unavoidable situation.

However, as a gesture of goodwill, should you wish to visit the salon again, I would be more than happy to offer you 20% off your next Shellac treatment.

18th April - Client to myself

I write with much disappointment that you have failed to reply to my recent letter. I feel that you have had adequate time to refund the money owing to me. To re-fresh your memory; £20.00 for the poor Shellac application and £1.20 for car parking fees.

On that Tuesday, I had my appointment. I waited unnecessarily outside your salon, then had to pay at another salon for the removal of the Shellac. As previously stated, the lady at this salon could not believe how badly my nails had been treated.

Also, may I just add that it would be good practice if you took appointment details home with you, then you would be able to contact clients before they make an unnecessary journey. By return of post, I expect a full refund, then I will not take matters further.

19th April - Myself to client - Letter in progress...

I am writing in response to your letter dated 14th March 2013 which I have received on 18th April 2013.

I did not fail to reply to your letter. This was sent out to you by first class post on Friday 5th April 2013. As you obviously haven’t received it, I enclose a copy with this letter.

As I stated in my previous corrospondence, had I been able to attend the salon for your appointment that day, you would have had to pay the required treatment and parking fees. As I understand from your initial letter, you were happy with the treatment which you received from the establishment which you chose to visit. Therefore I will not be refunding the service or parking fees, as this was a totally unavoidable situation.
Again, as previously stated, I use only the best, authentic CND Shellac polish and I have received full training by CND for Shellac. I use the correct CND Shellac removal protocol of cotton and foil, there is no soaking in bowls of acetone or filing the Shellac off the nail as many salons do, this is so the least amount of stress is caused to the client’s nails. Authentic CND Shellac is also free of any dangerous chemicals. I also finish all of my Shellac treatments by applying CND SolarOil to the nails and cuticles. With regards to the Shellac treatments which I offer, the price includes complimentary removal.

This is an unfortunate and exceptional situation as I had been admitted to Southport & Formby District Hospital, it is a situation which could not, in any way have been avoided.

With regards to your suggestion that I take appointment details home, each and every night I do take my appointment book home from the salon, as I agree this is good practice. However, when I was rushed to the Accident and Emergency Department, the appointment book was left behind, I think you will agree that this is understandable in the circumstances. Rather than leave you not knowing why I had not arrived at the salon, I did send Miss Tapper a message and she in turn informed you that I was ill and would not be in the salon that day. I am still receiving treatment for my illness and attending regular appointments at the hospital.

You poor thing! Hope you're better now. Some people are just unbelievable!

Yes I agree. How petty of this client. Hope you are feeling better.

Hello! I'm after a bit of advice regarding a client issue. Below is the corospondence (it's a bit long winded) I have had with her so far, and I just want some advice on where I stand; is my reponse ok? would she be able to take matters further? etc. She has visited myself for nails a number of times and has never complained about the condition of her nails. Thanks

I am writing regarding a recent visit to your establishment on Tuesday 26th March 2013, after arranging an appointment with yourself for 9am. Upon arriving at your establishment, I was greeted by a respectable local business owner, to be told that you were currently ill and wouldn't be coming to the salon today. I found it particularly disappointing how I wasn't contacted prior to my visit, to be made aware of the issue in hand.

Furthermore, I took the decision to travel to another establishment to receive my Shellac treatment. The member of staff treating myself at this respectable establishment was absolutely horrified by the state of my nails after your treatment. After being treated at this particular establishment, I noticed a considerable improvement in the quality of my nails, and furthermore realised how disappointing the service you offer is.

I am very much aware that the £20 treatment that you offer myself and other customers does include the removal of the Shellac. However, I haven't received this removal off yourself and was forced to pay for this at another establishment. On top of this, I also lost several lots of parking fees. As a good will gesture, I kindly ask that you send myself a cheque, with a full refund for my service. I am hugely disappointed by the service you offer and of how I wasn't made aware that you wouldn't be open today.

I am writing in response to your letter dated 26th March 2013 which I have received this morning. Early on the morning of Tuesday 26th March 2013, I was taken ill and rushed to the Accident and Emergency Department at Southport and Formby District Hospital. As I was aware I had clients due in that day and I had no way of contacting them as all their details are kept at the salon, and I don’t have any members of staff. However, I did manage to contact Miss Sarah Tapper - the respectable local business woman who greeted you - whom I asked to greet you at the salon and explain that I wouldn’t be in the salon that day due to illness. As I myself didn’t know what the situation was at this point, I was unable to give Miss Tapper anymore information than she passed on to you. I was only discharged from the hospital on Friday 29th March 2013.

I am concerned as to why the member of staff at the establishment which you chose to visit, was absolutely horrified by the state of your nails. I use only the best, authentic CND Shellac polish and I have received full training by CND for Shellac. I use the correct CND Shellac removal protocol of cotton and foil, there is no soaking in bowls of acetone or filing the Shellac off the nail as many salons do, this is so the least amount of stress is caused to the client’s nails. Authentic CND Shellac is also free of any dangerous chemicals. I also finish all of my Shellac treatments by applying CND SolarOil to the nails and cuticles. With regards to the Shellac treatments which I offer, the price includes complimentary removal.

This is an unfortunate and exceptional situation. However, as I wasn’t being negligent by not being at the salon, and I had been admitted to Southport & Formby District Hospital, it is a situation which could not be avoided. There were a number of other clients whom also arrived at the salon that day and spoke to Miss Tapper, all of whom are happy with their nail condition and previous treatments. These clients have have since rearranged their appointments with myself.

Had I been able to attend the salon for your appointment that day, you would have had to pay the required treatment and parking fees. As I understand from your letter, you were happy with the treatment which you received from the establishment which you chose to visit. Therefore I will not be refunding the service or parking fees, as this was a totally unavoidable situation.

However, as a gesture of goodwill, should you wish to visit the salon again, I would be more than happy to offer you 20% off your next Shellac treatment.

I write with much disappointment that you have failed to reply to my recent letter. I feel that you have had adequate time to refund the money owing to me. To re-fresh your memory; £20.00 for the poor Shellac application and £1.20 for car parking fees.

On that Tuesday, I had my appointment. I waited unnecessarily outside your salon, then had to pay at another salon for the removal of the Shellac. As previously stated, the lady at this salon could not believe how badly my nails had been treated.

Also, may I just add that it would be good practice if you took appointment details home with you, then you would be able to contact clients before they make an unnecessary journey. By return of post, I expect a full refund, then I will not take matters further.

19th April - Myself to client - Letter in progress...

I am writing in response to your letter dated 14th March 2013 which I have received on 18th April 2013.

I did not fail to reply to your letter. This was sent out to you by first class post on Friday 5th April 2013. As you obviously haven’t received it, I enclose a copy with this letter.

As I stated in my previous corrospondence, had I been able to attend the salon for your appointment that day, you would have had to pay the required treatment and parking fees. As I understand from your initial letter, you were happy with the treatment which you received from the establishment which you chose to visit. Therefore I will not be refunding the service or parking fees, as this was a totally unavoidable situation.
Again, as previously stated, I use only the best, authentic CND Shellac polish and I have received full training by CND for Shellac. I use the correct CND Shellac removal protocol of cotton and foil, there is no soaking in bowls of acetone or filing the Shellac off the nail as many salons do, this is so the least amount of stress is caused to the client’s nails. Authentic CND Shellac is also free of any dangerous chemicals. I also finish all of my Shellac treatments by applying CND SolarOil to the nails and cuticles. With regards to the Shellac treatments which I offer, the price includes complimentary removal.

This is an unfortunate and exceptional situation as I had been admitted to Southport & Formby District Hospital, it is a situation which could not, in any way have been avoided.

With regards to your suggestion that I take appointment details home, each and every night I do take my appointment book home from the salon, as I agree this is good practice. However, when I was rushed to the Accident and Emergency Department, the appointment book was left behind, I think you will agree that this is understandable in the circumstances. Rather than leave you not knowing why I had not arrived at the salon, I did send Miss Tapper a message and she in turn informed you that I was ill and would not be in the salon that day. I am still receiving treatment for my illness and attending regular appointments at the hospital.
I do not think you have done anything wrong here i would stick to your guns. You made this client a good offer the client should like it or lump it do not refund. Keep all of you and this clients responses in case she does try to pull it further :rolleyes:
I do think this client is trying to bully you into giving away a treatment that in all is a cost to yourself and your business. I do not know where she has been but shellac does no damage to the nails i would ask to see the damage she claims shellac has done and make a record if possible for yourself photo,date and time. But in all do not refund! If i went to shop for example and i wanted to return something to a certain someone at customer service .But they was not available i would expect to be served by another member of customer service and i certainly would not be getting a refund for my bus fare :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks Girls - getting there but this lady harassing me isn't helping! x

I'm sure you could have also added

That due to The Data Protection Act you are unable to take client information home from the salon as client record cards with all their information is locked away so the salon owner would not have had access to this on the morning you were taken ill and you are not able to take client information Home as you would be breaking this legislation.!!

That's an idea! Thanks Sanilulu

Thanks Girls - getting there but this lady harassing me isn't helping! x

Oh she will she wants her money back! but must stand your ground .Geeg advice is the best id wait for geeg's advice it would be better then mine. But i know i would not refund!

Last edited:

Doesn't it seem odd that she's stated non reciept of a letter, then responded to the part of that letter telling her you keep client details in the salon? Or am I getting confused?

Shocked and dismayed at this appalling behaviour of this 'client'.stick to your guns and do not offer a refund. Sending you lots of love and best wishes for a speedy recovery. X

Just astounding that people can really be like this, personally I think you have responded in a professional manner and have kept your cool, you have very kindly offered her a discount which you didn't need to do, personally I would be glad to see the back of a client like this. She would get absolutely nowhere in trying to take further legal action.

This is how I would have wanted to respond to this client ..

"I suspect it is listening to your mindless drivel that caused me to become ill in the first place. So if you compensate me £800 for the loss of 4 days of business then there will be no need for me to take further action." :rolleyes:

I think your responses to her letters are excellent. You have been clear and concise and have offered her a goodwill gesture. Stick to your guns on this I say. It's not like you were off with a sniffle and I can't believe some people. I would have been concerned that you were ok if it were me, not demand money back! Unreal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Not so much a problem but wanted to know how you would deal with this! I received this email from a client just a moment ago:

"Just to say thank you for my shellac experience and my pedicure ...... however there is one thing that you did not check up on ..... and that was to check that my toe nails were in fact dry .... because unfortunately they were not and the varnish has smudged and has bits of fluff off my boots on it. I never thought about it but I know in the past manicurists have always checked that my nails were entirely dry before letting me go ... whether it be my fingers or toes ! I have been out tonight and managed to buy a nail varnish that almost matches and will ask my grandaughter if she can have a go at painting my nails tomorrow night."

I have replied:
"Oh no what a shame! I'm sorry to hear it. Nail polish officially takes hours to dry I'm afraid so although the nails may be "touch dry", if you are wearing closed in shoes they do unfortunately have a chance of smudging. Most of my clients bring a pair of flip flops to wear home after a normal polish pedi, maybe that's something to consider for the future?

Kindest regards"

Would you have handled it differently? It was at least 15 minutes before she put her shoes on, they were touch dry and i had another client due in (home salon). Before anyone suggests it, I will be buying disposable flip flops for clients on Monday!!

Xxx

Not so much a problem but wanted to know how you would deal with this! I received this email from a client just a moment ago:

"Just to say thank you for my shellac experience and my pedicure ...... however there is one thing that you did not check up on ..... and that was to check that my toe nails were in fact dry .... because unfortunately they were not and the varnish has smudged and has bits of fluff off my boots on it. I never thought about it but I know in the past manicurists have always checked that my nails were entirely dry before letting me go ... whether it be my fingers or toes ! I have been out tonight and managed to buy a nail varnish that almost matches and will ask my grandaughter if she can have a go at painting my nails tomorrow night."

I have replied:
"Oh no what a shame! I'm sorry to hear it. Nail polish officially takes hours to dry I'm afraid so although the nails may be "touch dry", if you are wearing closed in shoes they do unfortunately have a chance of smudging. Most of my clients bring a pair of flip flops to wear home after a normal polish pedi, maybe that's something to consider for the future?

Kindest regards"

Would you have handled it differently? It was at least 15 minutes before she put her shoes on, they were touch dry and i had another client due in (home salon). Before anyone suggests it, I will be buying disposable flip flops for clients on Monday!!

Xxx

There was this one time in the salon we had used all the disposable flip flops and a pedicure client had forgotten flip flips herself. I had to improvise on the spot so I wound some cling film around her feet leaving just the tips of the toes and nails free. This meant she could hobble out to her car. It wasn't professional but it saved a good paint job and the client had a giggle and went home pleased with her pedicure!!

Edited to say this was a long standing client and friend so it was ok to do that in this instance otherwise I'm not sure what I would have done!

Last edited:
I would also offer her a discount on her next pedi, just a small 10% or something and make sure to advise that they wear or bring flip flops with them when they phone to book, getting some disposable flip flops in stock for walk ins or for clients that maybe forget to bring them with is always a good idea, nail polish can actually take up to 24 hrs to completely harden so I always advise not to wear closed shoes for 12 hours after there pedi.

Sophiedel,

Yep, there are some clients out there who only care about themselves and there are some techs out there who are more than happy to slate off another tech/salon and it looks like you have both.

I feel your responses have been fine and I feel you should stick to your guns. You have offered a goodwill gesture, so leave it at that.

I agree with Yusuki, she did get your response letter, she's just trying to bluff you. If she didn't get it, she would not have suggested taking client info home, now would she?

I think she's trying to bluff you with the entire situation to be honest, for her to take further action would cost her a lot more than what she wants as a refund.
If she keeps writing to you, then stick to your guns but maybe ask for proof of her bad nail condition and remind her that unless you have had a chance to inspect problems, then you can not offer any refunds on services and in this case, you did not get to see it, so no refunds offered, full stop, end of story.

Also let her know that she is welcome to take it further if she so pleases but you know that because you do use the full Shellac system and have had full training and due to the extreme circumstances of why you were not available and due to her going elsewhere and not allowing you to see the issues she is complaining about with her nails, you are confident that you have provided an excellent service and no faults could be found by anyone investigating the situation.

Also remind her that when she travels anywhere to do anything, it is at her cost, if she returns a dress to a store, the store does not refund her travel or parking costs, it is just a part of life that the customer/client must deal with.

Now, worse case scenario,even though I have said you shouldn't, you could just refund her parking fee as this is a very small amount and again, mention you use the full CND system etc etc, so a refund on the Shellac service is not going to happen but as good will, here is the dam parking fees refunded to you, now bugger off:)

Wish her well with her new found salon and forget about her.
Have faith in your work and your system and if you know you do everything to the T, then have faith in your insurance company that they will protect you from a lady like this. Maybe even give them a call and see what they say to do.

But wait for Gigi to pop in and give you her thoughts as she is the best one to give advice.

Good luck sweetie, it's not a nice situation to be in that's for sure. I also hope you make a speedy recovery and can move on from both situations.

Sophiedel
Firsly post this reply so she has to sign for it. She did receive your letter she replied to something you said.

I would state that under the circumstances of not been able to see damage you will not be offering a refund. Pass her trading standards details and thank her for her past custom.
Trading standards will have a giggle at how petty she is been. You've offered her a solution if she chooses not to take that offer tough

Latest posts

Back