Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe me I completely sympathise and Im sure that many of us do. We put up with the same kind of drama and behaviour at times right here on salongeek.com...What can I advise you? Ignor the idiots and take the high road. always take the high road ... Who knows, they might just learn something from you x

Last edited:
Dear Aunt Geeg
I need some advice on what to say, if anything at all, for my situation.
I have been in a salon for about 7 or 8 weeks now. As well as all nail treatments, I offer beauty too. When I started I had said from the offset that I would do the nails of the owner of the salon and the other hairdresser who works there as the way I look at it, its good advertisement for me. (it was also agreed that I would get a cut and colour for free when I wanted so it worked both ways).

So, just for a bit of background, the owner is very strange. She is obvisuoly very stressed with her job and suffers from a bad back (as well as anxiety and depression) and she constantly moans and groans about any little thing and is very two faced, saying one thing and meaning another. When I did the first set of rockstar fingers for them, I stayed back late at work to do their nails and they were both over the moon. The other hairdresser was a severe biter and her nails have come on fantastic since I have been doing them. So, give them both their dues, they have been advertising gel polish to everyone who would listen or look at their fingers and they would show them the pops I had made up. So they have been getting me business for me. So about 3 weeks have gone by and the owner chipped a few of her nails so she put normal polish over them until I could do them. However, I feel that I am constantly chasing her round "can I do your nails", "do you want your nails done" even to the point where the week before christmas even though I was bloody knackered and didnt want to, i said "I will stay late tonight and do your nails for you". On these occasions, she has siad "my backs too sore", "Im too tired", "I'm finished now". The last time I did her nails, she said "you will have to put me an appoinment in your diary". I said no problem, you can put whenever you want in (as they take all my appointments), I dont really thinik it is up to me to allocate a time for her.

Anyway, getting to the point (just trying to give a bit of background to which to base an answer), the other hairdresser came to my home salon on new years eve to get her nails done and told me that the owner had gone to an NSS (one of the ones that is notorious in our area for using drills on natural nail plates etc, you know the type). She told her that they had drilled her natural nail plate with a machine and to remove the gel I had put on, what didnt come off with a few minutes of acetone and a drill, they took a pair of tweezers and peeled it off her nail plate!!!! :eek: ouch!!!! So here is my dilemma

She is a bit of a martar and I can imagine that she will be blaming the fact that I didnt "offer" her an appointment to get her nails done (the other hairdresser begged me not to tell her I did her nails because she will say to her "oh I see you got "YOUR" nails done"!). All she had to do was ask me but I dont really know how to handle this. Do you think I should just go the moral highground if she shows me her nails and just say "nice" or something, or pretend I havent seen them. I am just worried the reason she has done this is to get a rise out of me, because really I should be offended by the fact that 1) she has gone to a NSS salon 2) she hasnt asked me to do them 3) she has actually paid someone to mutilate her nails!

If she asks me to do her nails or makes a remark I was thinking about saying, yes i will put you a new set on but you will need to have them removed by the salon you got them done as they use a product I cant remove! I just dont really know what to do or say or how to handle it. Im quite annoyed about it. She also had her eyebrows threaded when all she had to was ask me to wax them as I had done previously. I am just about to get a contract drawn up after my settling in period too so dont want to really rock the boat too much. I just keep thinking what is she going to say to her hair clients when they say oh i like your nails, is she going to say oh yeah i went to the XXXXXX for them!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance auntie xx

Dear Aunt Geeg
I need some advice on what to say, if anything at all, for my situation.
I have been in a salon for about 7 or 8 weeks now. As well as all nail treatments, I offer beauty too. When I started I had said from the offset that I would do the nails of the owner of the salon and the other hairdresser who works there as the way I look at it, its good advertisement for me. (it was also agreed that I would get a cut and colour for free when I wanted so it worked both ways).

So, just for a bit of background, the owner is very strange. She is obvisuoly very stressed with her job and suffers from a bad back (as well as anxiety and depression) and she constantly moans and groans about any little thing and is very two faced, saying one thing and meaning another. When I did the first set of rockstar fingers for them, I stayed back late at work to do their nails and they were both over the moon. The other hairdresser was a severe biter and her nails have come on fantastic since I have been doing them. So, give them both their dues, they have been advertising gel polish to everyone who would listen or look at their fingers and they would show them the pops I had made up. So they have been getting me business for me. So about 3 weeks have gone by and the owner chipped a few of her nails so she put normal polish over them until I could do them. However, I feel that I am constantly chasing her round "can I do your nails", "do you want your nails done" even to the point where the week before christmas even though I was bloody knackered and didnt want to, i said "I will stay late tonight and do your nails for you". On these occasions, she has siad "my backs too sore", "Im too tired", "I'm finished now". The last time I did her nails, she said "you will have to put me an appoinment in your diary". I said no problem, you can put whenever you want in (as they take all my appointments), I dont really thinik it is up to me to allocate a time for her.

Anyway, getting to the point (just trying to give a bit of background to which to base an answer), the other hairdresser came to my home salon on new years eve to get her nails done and told me that the owner had gone to an NSS (one of the ones that is notorious in our area for using drills on natural nail plates etc, you know the type). She told her that they had drilled her natural nail plate with a machine and to remove the gel I had put on, what didnt come off with a few minutes of acetone and a drill, they took a pair of tweezers and peeled it off her nail plate!!!! :eek: ouch!!!! So here is my dilemma

She is a bit of a martar and I can imagine that she will be blaming the fact that I didnt "offer" her an appointment to get her nails done (the other hairdresser begged me not to tell her I did her nails because she will say to her "oh I see you got "YOUR" nails done"!). All she had to do was ask me but I dont really know how to handle this. Do you think I should just go the moral highground if she shows me her nails and just say "nice" or something, or pretend I havent seen them. I am just worried the reason she has done this is to get a rise out of me, because really I should be offended by the fact that 1) she has gone to a NSS salon 2) she hasnt asked me to do them 3) she has actually paid someone to mutilate her nails!

If she asks me to do her nails or makes a remark I was thinking about saying, yes i will put you a new set on but you will need to have them removed by the salon you got them done as they use a product I cant remove! I just dont really know what to do or say or how to handle it. Im quite annoyed about it. She also had her eyebrows threaded when all she had to was ask me to wax them as I had done previously. I am just about to get a contract drawn up after my settling in period too so dont want to really rock the boat too much. I just keep thinking what is she going to say to her hair clients when they say oh i like your nails, is she going to say oh yeah i went to the XXXXXX for them!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance auntie xx

I think you should (when this comes up) act completely indifferently to her, whatever she says. You offered her any time that suited her ... She got caught up in Christmas and New Year, she went to another place to have them done (I would just say, it's a shame you couldn't organise your time better to fit yourself in with me). As to dwelling on the state of her nails 'post NSS', I wouldn't. She made her choice, she has to take the consequences. "What do you expect if you go to a place like that? It will now take weeks before your nails return to Norma!" Etc. I would not be onfrontstional just indifferent ... Not your fault ... She chose to go bla bla. As for her bad mouthing you ... That would be very foolish of her and if any clients mention it, just use it as a launch pad to tell them the consequences of bad work, as opposed to your work.

Don't let this get to be a BIG issue between you (you do work together). Tell her that if she wants to go to the other place; no hard feelings but she can't do both as you will not be the 'fall guy, for others', bad workmanship. She must choose and it will not bother you one way or the other.

Thank you very much. I have been feeling quite sick about how to handle this and your right. If she choses to pay £15 to have her nails ruined then why should i let it bother me. I know she will probably say "i had to go coz u wouldn't do them for me" because she always feels the need to blame others and make them feel guilty. So im glad i have a tactful retort for her now without it making me sound bitter or bothered.
Thank you for your advice

Was just looking for some advise. I did a set of l&p 11 days ago on a new client. She has just messaged me to say 7 have came off. I have never heard of this since I started (1 year ago) I've asked all the usual questions...and she hasn't done anything to cause this. They lasted her week long holiday aswell. I don't want to lose her as a client so how should I handle this? This shouldn't happen, but I don't feel I should refund at all. She also has been using cuticle oil. All advise appreciated. Thanks x

Was just looking for some advise. I did a set of l&p 11 days ago on a new client. She has just messaged me to say 7 have came off. I have never heard of this since I started (1 year ago) I've asked all the usual questions...and she hasn't done anything to cause this. They lasted her week long holiday as well. I don't want to lose her as a client so how should I handle this? This shouldn't happen, but I don't feel I should refund at all. She also has been using cuticle oil. All advise appreciated. Thanks x

Firstly, Rachel, this is what she SAYS she has been doing, not necessarily what she HAS been doing. Clients of course all say they have not done anything!

What was the new client wearing on her nails before you applied the enhancements.

Was it your nails she went on holiday with?

Why 3 still on, I wonder? And 7 off (in one piece or bit by bit?)

What sort of sun tan lotion was she using? Insect repellant? Sun and chlorine .... and she oiled every day? Often the damage that is done on holiday does not show up until the client returns home.

There are allot of questions to ask when you see her. And you need to see her before she has them all off in preparation for the new full set she thinks you are going to offer her. You should not refund as you have not had a chance to see these nails ... You could make a good will gesture of a new set but that is up to you, how much you want her as a client or how much you wish to make a rod for your own back. How about a 1/2 price full set?? AND a promise that she returns at the first sign of any trouble (which you don't think she will have for a minute). I wonder what her history was at her last salon??

You have some thinking to do. :Love:

Firstly, Rachel, this is what she SAYS she has been doing, not necessarily what she HAS been doing. Clients of course all say they have not done anything!

What was the new client wearing on her nails before you applied the enhancements.

Was it your nails she went on holiday with?

Why 3 still on, I wonder? And 7 off (in one piece or bit by bit?)

What sort of sun tan lotion was she using? Insect repellant? Sun and chlorine .... and she oiled every day? Often the damage that is done on holiday does not show up until the client returns home.

There are allot of questions to ask when you see her. And you need to see her before she has them all off in preparation for the new full set she thinks you are going to offer her. You should not refund as you have not had a chance to see these nails ... You could make a good will gesture of a new set but that is up to you, how much you want her as a client or how much you wish to make a rod for your own back. How about a 1/2 price full set?? AND a promise that she returns at the first sign of any trouble (which you don't think she will have for a minute). I wonder what her history was at her last salon??

You have some thinking to do. :Love:

Thanks Geeg. She had is natural nails when I did the set. The next day she went on holiday and just today (11days later) she has messaged me. The nails are coming off in one. I will message her back and ask her to come in so I can take a look and determine whether I should offer her another set with money off. Thanks for your help. You are a saint with the time and effort you put into this site. I don't know where I would be without salongeek x

Hi Geeg, thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

I have a problem with clients not following the correct aftercare! As we all know aftercare plays a huge roll in how long our nail services last.

As much as I tell my clients that they should solar there nails 1-2times daily, I sell solar oil pinkies for £2 and 7.3ml for £6 some people do buy and some people say 'oh I'm sure iv got some in the house.' I also send them away with aftercare leaflets. When they come back for their next appointment I say so how did you get on with your last set and they say well it's chipped here and here and ill say okay have you been wearing gloves? No. have you been oiling? No. So I suggest they follow aftercare to prevent this from happening.

How else can I encourage my clients to take care of there nails between services and follow aftercare given?!

Thanks in advance Geeg.
Zoe x

Hi Geeg, thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

I have a problem with clients not following the correct aftercare! As we all know aftercare plays a huge roll in how long our nail services last.

As much as I tell my clients that they should solar there nails 1-2times daily, I sell solar oil pinkies for £2 and 7.3ml for £6 some people do buy and some people say 'oh I'm sure iv got some in the house.' I also send them away with aftercare leaflets. When they come back for their next appointment I say so how did you get on with your last set and they say well it's chipped here and here and ill say okay have you been wearing gloves? No. have you been oiling? No. So I suggest they follow aftercare to prevent this from happening.

How else can I encourage my clients to take care of there nails between services and follow aftercare given?!

Thanks in advance Geeg.
Zoe x

Most clients will be keen to save money. 1 repair costs more than that little bottle of Solar Oil that they do not use.

Clients only want to know. "what's in it for them?" What's in it for them is that they save money and time on repairs if they use it.

Last edited:
Dear Geeg, I wonder if you could offer me some advice please :(

I had a client on Saturday who booked in for Gelish Vitagel as her nails are super brittle & bitten. So she received her service and was happy with it. Today she posted a photo of her nails on Facebook clearly to show off and one of her friends said she has ugly nails and its a bad job so this client started complaining that I refused her the extensions which she loves and that she hates her nails and that I'm a "crap professional" as I apparently said that gelish doesn't go over tips! Now, to clarify, this girl is portuguese and English isn't her first language. We did discuss tips but I said that Vitagel is to help her grow her own nails which was what she asked for and if she wants tips - that's completely different service and different price.
I'm so gutted she went to publically to slag me off as this is totally not true - her nails are ugly because they are bitten and very very short not because I did a bad job! What do you think - should I just try and let it go? I'm so upset as this is not fair what she is saying. She obviously either didn't understand me or there's something I am missing myself?? Why would you pay for something u like and only because your friend said that she has ugly nails you go on to slag the nail tech ?:'( you can't make a silk purse out of a saw's ear?!

hi geeg loving the thread. I hope this has not been asked already ! I am wanting to run a mobile business. But i am afraid that clients will just kick me out of there home, If i get strict with my rules on smoking,pets continual disturbance's and kids being present whilst treatment is taking place . I know i should state all my policies before booking the appointment .But i just know that although i will state before hand there will be clients who will still do it because it is there ''home'' so to speak!:eek:
what would be the right words and phrases to use to deal with these types of situations in someones home without seeming rude?

Last edited:
Dear Geeg, I wonder if you could offer me some advice please :(

I had a client on Saturday who booked in for Gelish Vitagel as her nails are super brittle & bitten. So she received her service and was happy with it. Today she posted a photo of her nails on Facebook clearly to show off and one of her friends said she has ugly nails and its a bad job so this client started complaining that I refused her the extensions which she loves and that she hates her nails and that I'm a "crap professional" as I apparently said that gelish doesn't go over tips! Now, to clarify, this girl is portuguese and English isn't her first language. We did discuss tips but I said that Vitagel is to help her grow her own nails which was what she asked for and if she wants tips - that's completely different service and different price.
I'm so gutted she went to publically to slag me off as this is totally not true - her nails are ugly because they are bitten and very very short not because I did a bad job! What do you think - should I just try and let it go? I'm so upset as this is not fair what she is saying. She obviously either didn't understand me or there's something I am missing myself?? Why would you pay for something u like and only because your friend said that she has ugly nails you go on to slag the nail tech ?:'( you can't make a silk purse out of a saw's ear?!

Very true.

I would let it go as far as getting into it with this girl. It will be clear for all to see that you didn't enhance her nails but that you only polished what she had already.

It kills me ... Nail bitters! They tear, pull, rip and abuse their nails for years and then have the nerve to expect that we can make their nails look like a hand model?

So glad I found this thread! I have a question, I had a client come to me 3 weeks ago with really badly bitten nails and damaged from poorly done acrylics, anyway when she came in I suggest solar oil, hand creams and shellac until the damage had grown out. However she wanted some length and ask for gels (I use Brisa Gel). So I put on tips and did Brisa but I did warn her I didn't think they would last as her nails were so short. She also has 3 young children. Anyway she then booked for 3 weeks time!!! Didn't think they would make the 3 weeks but anyway. She was supposed to be coming back today but she text me yesterday and cancelled her appointment so I suspect she lost them after 2 weeks and was dissatisfied with the service. Should I have stuck by my guns and done shellac on her, unfortunately I didn't have brisa lite smoothing gel otherwise I would have suggested this with shellac until she had grown out the damage!

hi geeg loving the thread. I hope this has not been asked already ! I am wanting to run a mobile business. But i am afraid that clients will just kick me out of there home, If i get strict with my rules on smoking,pets continual disturbance's and kids being present whilst treatment is taking place . I know i should state all my policies before booking the appointment .But i just know that although i will state before hand there will be clients who will still do it because it is there ''home'' so to speak!:eek:
what would be the right words and phrases to use to deal with these types of situations in someones home without seeming rude?

When you are in someone's home, you can't get strict or dictate anything. People invite you into their home so they can have things their way.

You can explain politely over the phone that if possible, you would prefer to work in a relatively quiet area free of pets and animals ...I wouldn't "state policies", I would ask if they could provide that space for you? If they say no, then you will have to refuse the treatment and put up with slowly building up a clientele who are happy to oblige you.

I think asking before you book the appointment will give you an idea of how the client will receive your request. Nothing always goes to plan the way we want.

You actually sound the type of person who would be better suited to a salon or static situation where you are in control of your working space. In someone else's home you loose that control as soon as you go through the front door. X

Very true.

I would let it go as far as getting into it with this girl. It will be clear for all to see that you didn't enhance her nails but that you only polished what she had already.

It kills me ... Nail bitters! They tear, pull, rip and abuse their nails for years and then have the nerve to expect that we can make their nails look like a hand model?

Thank you so much for getting back to me, that's what I thought too. Although clients like this sometimes make me wonder if I want to carry on with my business, is it worth it- working so hard just for one person to be so harsh? I'm definitely my worst critic and my confidence is at rock bottom so when something like this happens it just breaks my heart. :( xx

Thank you so much for getting back to me, that's what I thought too. Although clients like this sometimes make me wonder if I want to carry on with my business, is it worth it- working so hard just for one person to be so harsh? I'm definitely my worst critic and my confidence is at rock bottom so when something like this happens it just breaks my heart. :( xx

No business runs smoothly all the time. the reason you feel like you do is that you are not sure how to deal with the problems when they come along. Anticipation is everything so I hope the below helps you to face the challenges that come up more easily x

I wrote this article awhile ago and it is one of the most read articles on this site so you are not alone. I hope it helps you.

http://www.salongeek.com/business/51249-show-you-confident-yourself-your-work-some-tricks.html

No business runs smoothly all the time. the reason you feel like you do is that you are not sure how to deal with the problems when they come along. Anticipation is everything so I hope the below helps you to face the challenges that come up more easily x

I wrote this article awhile ago and it is one of the most read articles on this site so you are not alone. I hope it helps you.

http://www.salongeek.com/business/51249-show-you-confident-yourself-your-work-some-tricks.html

Thank you so much. I'm glad I'm not the only one in a similar situation. It's a truly fantastic article. Xx

Hi I was wondering if you could help me. I did a set of nails on Friday for a lady who as sent me a fb message to complain today. I tried to call her to discuss it but there was no answer. I replied to ask what the problem was and she said they are coming off. I asked if it was on all nails or just one/two and she said on a lot of them and they get stuck in her hair when she does her hair. I asked if she could attach a picture and she sent the one attached but it isn't very clear.

I'm not sure what to do about it, to be honest the lighting was terrible at her house when I was trying to do them and she wanted white tips even though her nails were really short so I am not happy with the nails as it is.

Can you help?

Thanks

Attachments

• image_1361998223580144.jpg
    image_1361998223580144.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 499
Hi I was wondering if you could help me. I did a set of nails on Friday for a lady who as sent me a fb message to complain today. I tried to call her to discuss it but there was no answer. I replied to ask what the problem was and she said they are coming off. I asked if it was on all nails or just one/two and she said on a lot of them and they get stuck in her hair when she does her hair. I asked if she could attach a picture and she sent the one attached but it isn't very clear.

I'm not sure what to do about it, to be honest the lighting was terrible at her house when I was trying to do them and she wanted white tips even though her nails were really short so I am not happy with the nails as it is.

Can you help?

Thanks

She's right! If this one nail is typical of the rest, they are not salon quality. You should offer to remove and re-do free and you should always bring your own lamp so that in the event of bad lighting you can have your own back up light.

The truth hurts sometimes :hug: but if you can hold up your hand and say honestly, "this was my fault", then you need to do the right thing and put things right. Think positive! We always learn allot from these experiences in the end.

Hi Geeg,
I put a call out for a hand model. There are a few techniques a want to master as well as take pics of my nail art. I am fed up of using practice hands and fingers, thought it would look better to have hands on facebook.

I need to know where I am going wrong, nobody is coming back to me. I thought I had found the right pair of hands today but she brought her friend along. I did explain when I booked her for today's session that I would need her all day to try out different things. Anyway they were like a pair of kids! "Lets go down the shop and get a bottle of wine and start partying" at 10 in the morning????
. I don't know if I take my self too seriously and have lost my sens of humor as I am getting older but they started to talk personal stuff and swearing. I am full up with a cold and wasn't really in the mood, even though I tried to be polite and laugh but just wanted to get on with things. I did a full set of acrylics on my model and some nail art. I came up with this design a few months ago and want to perfect it.

You know when you want to get creative and try out different things.

My table kept getting moved, my model would,nt keep still, they were on there phones and kept interrupting me. I got completely thrown and the set took me forever and my nail art was rubbish.
I didn't accomplish what I wanted to and felt quite annoyed with them. If my model was on her own I think it would have been very different. There is a pic on her page of the nails I did and they are all smudged and they look terrible. I need a very patient dedicated hand model.

Honestly I couldn't believe what was coming out of there mouths lol and I shouldn't be laughing because it wasn't funny it was foul.!

The extensions are too long I don't know why I did them that long, she is going to have trouble with them. I need her back on her own and not bring her friend with her. How do I tell her that? Or do I look for another model?

Thanks Jo.xx

Latest posts

Back