Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Geeg,
I put a call out for a hand model. There are a few techniques a want to master as well as take pics of my nail art. I am fed up of using practice hands and fingers, thought it would look better to have hands on facebook.

I need to know where I am going wrong, nobody is coming back to me. I thought I had found the right pair of hands today but she brought her friend along. I did explain when I booked her for today's session that I would need her all day to try out different things. Anyway they were like a pair of kids! "Lets go down the shop and get a bottle of wine and start partying" at 10 in the morning????
. I don't know if I take my self too seriously and have lost my sens of humor as I am getting older but they started to talk personal stuff and swearing. I am full up with a cold and wasn't really in the mood, even though I tried to be polite and laugh but just wanted to get on with things. I did a full set of acrylics on my model and some nail art. I came up with this design a few months ago and want to perfect it.

You know when you want to get creative and try out different things.

My table kept getting moved, my model would,nt keep still, they were on there phones and kept interrupting me. I got completely thrown and the set took me forever and my nail art was rubbish.
I didn't accomplish what I wanted to and felt quite annoyed with them. If my model was on her own I think it would have been very different. There is a pic on her page of the nails I did and they are all smudged and they look terrible. I need a very patient dedicated hand model.

Honestly I couldn't believe what was coming out of there mouths lol and I shouldn't be laughing because it wasn't funny it was foul.!

The extensions are too long I don't know why I did them that long, she is going to have trouble with them. I need her back on her own and not bring her friend with her. How do I tell her that? Or do I look for another model?

Thanks Jo.xx

It might be a good idea to tell prospective models when advertising for them, just what you expect of them. Tell them you are looking for ones who can sit quietly, no phones, have patience, and come solo!

For this girl you had today I would be very honest and up front and say that bringing a friend is not an option as you want no distractions. Fair enough!

Last edited:
She was so cheeky asking if I could do her nails as well for such a price as the girl in the shop was going to charge her so much. I think she thought she was going to bargain with me but I told her straight I have brought my prices down enough and they are not coming down any more!! Then tonight she was sending me messages saying that she hoped she didn't offend me about the price and she is penny pinching because she wants to go out Saturday, she really wants me to do her nails but doesn't want to pay for the extra's. Then (and I couldn't believe this part) she was ringing me and ringing off 3 times so I would ring her back. She is a bloody pain in the backside and I don't want her as a client so txt her and told her to get her nails done else where!
As for my model I have messaged her and told her to come and have her nails shortened I can't let her walk around like that. told her it was all the talking that made me make a mistake.
I will vet the next model and make sure they understand what I am looking for.
The nerve of some people:eek:
Thank you for your advise .xx:hug:

I just want to say I love you Gigi :) your advice has been so helpful to me over the past few years and I have finally found the light at the end if the tunnel. Thank you xxx

Thank you, Angela. It is so gratifying to know when I make a difference. It's what it's all about for me. XXX

why have i not seen this thread before - its fab! wish it was 8pm so I could sit with my cuppa and hae a good read!

Hi! Thanks for this thread....

I had a lady message me saying she had been into town and tried to book in to have her nails done only to be embarrassed and mortified that the nail tech told her she had a fungal infection and went on to tell all who would listen that she has an infection! She left and was so upset she'd cried!

I suggested she go to the doctors and after a week she said she still couldn't get in! I said she needs to seek medical advice the day after she said she has got in and they've said "Hi I have been to the doctors today and the doctor said it is probably that the glue from the false nails has stained the nails because the new nail growth is fine. She said the chance of a fungal infection is about 1%. So would you be able to book me in at all? Xxx"

Do you think this is ok? Shall I just write something on the contact form if so what should I put? Just want to cover myself.... I mean who actually knows if she's been?!

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 373
Hi! Thanks for this thread....

I had a lady message me saying she had been into town and tried to book in to have her nails done only to be embarrassed and mortified that the nail tech told her she had a fungal infection and went on to tell all who would listen that she has an infection! She left and was so upset she'd cried!

I suggested she go to the doctors and after a week she said she still couldn't get in! I said she needs to seek medical advice the day after she said she has got in and they've said "Hi I have been to the doctors today and the doctor said it is probably that the glue from the false nails has stained the nails because the new nail growth is fine. She said the chance of a fungal infection is about 1%. So would you be able to book me in at all? Xxx"

Do you think this is ok? Shall I just write something on the contact form if so what should I put? Just want to cover myself.... I mean who actually knows if she's been?!

Thanks in advance!!!

She needs to have a doctors note to say she is fit to have a nail service if you are very concerned. . I always have Letters all prepared for the client to take to the doctor for him to sign so the client can bring it back to me.

The staining on the nails is most probably the result of a bacterial infection and not a fungal infection. You should be able to recognise a green nail for what it is and be able to deal with it. Perhaps have a read of this.

http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/2641-moldy-oldy-fun-guys.html

Thanks geeg! Just wondering what I should do re tonight's appointment. I did specifically say she should ask her doctor if she could have gel on her nails. She has been hassling me for an appointment but I stuck to my guns and said she needed to seek medical advice! Now she says she's been and I've agreed to see her this evening....

Should I cancel, if so what should I say?
Should I change my client card and get her to sign?
Should I let her come all the way to mine (a town away) to maybe not be able to do their service?

Sorry been doing this about a year now and haven't had this before so not sure how to handle this situation
X

Thanks geeg! Just wondering what I should do re tonight's appointment. I did specifically say she should ask her doctor if she could have gel on her nails. She has been hassling me for an appointment but I stuck to my guns and said she needed to seek medical advice! Now she says she's been and I've agreed to see her this evening....

Should I cancel, if so what should I say?
Should I change my client card and get her to sign?
Should I let her come all the way to mine (a town away) to maybe not be able to do their service?

Sorry been doing this about a year now and haven't had this before so not sure how to handle this situation
X
Well, if it is a result of green nails then you can go ahead and do them as the infection will be long gone. You could change the card and get her to sign it. But if you think it is something more then I would refuse to do the nails without a signed doctors note. You could ring her and warn her that if you are not happy you wont do the service. I would be able to tell if this was the result of green nail ... can you recognise it?

Well I've never seen this before so will have to have a proper/thorough look when she arrives. I did advise her not to cover and so on and she has said it's not getting worse but not disappearing either?!

Well I've never seen this before so will have to have a proper/thorough look when she arrives. I did advise her not to cover and so on and she has said it's not getting worse but not disappearing either?!
A green nail doesn't get better. The stain has to grow out with the nail plate. It sounds like that's what it appears to be.

Hi, do most nail technicians take payment before or after the service?

Hi, do most nail technicians take payment before or after the service?
Pay before paint! otherwise we take payment at the end of service, and I think most do.

Well, if it is a result of green nails then you can go ahead and do them as the infection will be long gone. You could change the card and get her to sign it. But if you think it is something more then I would refuse to do the nails without a signed doctors note. You could ring her and warn her that if you are not happy you wont do the service. I would be able to tell if this was the result of green nail ... can you recognise it?

Geeg sorry it's off topic but I just want to say THANKYOU to you for all the hard work you do to help us .my husband is a swimming teacher and he puts sooo much effort in his work that it annoys me . He seems to b always thinking and ringing parents about the way he can make them better . How do you get all the time to answer all our questions .do you ever have problems finding time .but thankyou x

Geeg sorry it's off topic but I just want to say THANKYOU to you for all the hard work you do to help us .my husband is a swimming teacher and he puts sooo much effort in his work that it annoys me . He seems to b always thinking and ringing parents about the way he can make them better . How do you get all the time to answer all our questions .do you ever have problems finding time .but thankyou x

Basically I devote 3-4 hours a day to the site. I pop in and out especially if I have a thread running. I'm retired :lol: so I have time to do it except if travelling when I'm not around. Thank you for your thank you. I love helping and I always have. I love teaching and appreciate that there are those who want to learn and then there are those who know it all! :lol: I'm here for the first group, when ever they need help. :hug:

Hi, I just wanted too send you a reply about my problem the other day. Thank you for your answer I hated the nails too and they are normally better, I think that's the main reason I didn't know what to do. I offered to redo them with the plan that I would take a lamp and use my own table so I wasn't working at a difficult angle in poor lighting. However the lady refused that so on this occasion I refunded instead as I think that was the right thing to do.

Thank you for replying to me and giving it me straight x

Hi All,
I had an upsetting incident this morning with a client, though not a nail client I suppose this kind of thing could happen in any situation.
I had full day booked today, at my home salon, but managed to fit in a client first thing, as she was "desperate" for a massage. She had been to me for the first time last week, seemed really happy and asked specifcally for an appointment today.
So this morning I did myusual round of cleaning the house, the bathroom, the loo etc and set up for my day of treatments.
She arrives on time and uses my loo before we sit down for a consultation/recap on how she is etc. She suddenly proclaimes "I can't do this! This is the second time I have found faeces in your toilet! It's disgusting and unprofessional, I can't stay here a moment longer!" She get up and heads towards the door, I'm trying to explain that I'm sorry, but this is a family home too, but she get's really aggressive and starts saying "I don't care, it's unprofessional, you call yourself a therapist but with your white tunic and certifcates on the wall don't make you a professional" at which point she is outside, shouting back at me, so I tell her that she should go to a salon next time, shut the door and stand there in shock!
The thing is, last time she cameI know that I scrubbed that toilet AND put a bucket on bleach down it. Anyway where does she expect to find faeces? Would it be better on the wall - so long as I had a sparkling pan?
I am so upset - and utterly furious!
I know this kind of thing is inevitable if you invite people into your home for treatments, but it's horrible. I feel like giving up - I give 110% to this job and have never had a complaint of this kind before. Soul destroying.
Ironically - she is a therapist too! The all healing NES (quantum physics type thing based that claims to heal everything)
Anyway, I feel a little better now for this - thanks for listening - LOL
Love and light
Sarah x

S*i* is not worth quiting up your job for .I had a really boring depressing day today .And i tell you this story really made me laugh this story really is one to remember really funny quality:lol:

This is really brill thread thanks for your advice geeg:wink2:

Basically I devote 3-4 hours a day to the site. I pop in and out especially if I have a thread running. I'm retired :lol: so I have time to do it except if travelling when I'm not around. Thank you for your thank you. I love helping and I always have. I love teaching and appreciate that there are those who want to learn and then there are those who know it all! :lol: I'm here for the first group, when ever they need help. :hug:

I appreciate you HUGELY. :hug:

Hi, I just wanted too send you a reply about my problem the other day. Thank you for your answer I hated the nails too and they are normally better, I think that's the main reason I didn't know what to do. I offered to redo them with the plan that I would take a lamp and use my own table so I wasn't working at a difficult angle in poor lighting. However the lady refused that so on this occasion I refunded instead as I think that was the right thing to do.

Thank you for replying to me and giving it me straight x

I had a look through your album before I posted and I can see that many of the photos there show much better quality work :hug: I realised it was not your usual. We all have frustrating bad days. I myself could never be mobile because I like my own controlled work environment or I can't do my best work ... No one can. X

Latest posts

Back