13 year old wanting acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cas1948

Reaction score
Hi again

Had someone call me asking to have a set of nails done on her daughter who is only 13 I said i wouldn't do it unless she was 16 as her natuaral nail is not fully formed.

Was I right in doing this keep thinking to myself that i've mislead her???

Bare in mind i'm just training :rolleyes:

Why would nails not being fully formed make a difference, your not going to damage them... and TBO i don't even know if thats a true statement.

If the parents are cool with it then i would do them.

I wouldn't let MY girls have them done at that age but thats just cos i don't like to see girls of that age with them...but thats MY girls....its not for me to make that decision for someones else daughter.

Hi again

Had someone call me asking to have a set of nails done on her daughter who is only 13 I said i wouldn't do it unless she was 16 as her natuaral nail is not fully formed.

Hi hun

What do mean when you say fully formed? And just out of curiosity where have you got that from?

Hi hun

What do mean when you say fully formed? And just out of curiosity where have you got that from?

I'm not really sure i've maybe confused it with something else.

I'm not that comfortable doing nails on someone that young

I'm not really sure i've maybe confused it with something else.

I'm not that comfortable doing nails on someone that young

Ok, that's no problem. If you feel you need to justify your choice then just say that your insurance doesn't cover you.

Have another look at your text books/coursework re nail anatomy - just to make sure you know the facts, cos i haven't heard of that before either and you don't want to state something that can come back and bite you on the bum later! :hug: xx

Hi
I think 13 is way too young to be having artificial nails. Is this maybe why you turned them down? Why would a 13 yr old need acrylics?

Hi again

Hi
I think 13 is way too young to be having artificial nails. Is this maybe why you turned them down? Why would a 13 yr old need acrylics?

they don't need them...they want them...just as they want make up and certain types of clothing...some girls just want to look more grow up..thankfully my girls are happy to be little girls:)

Hi

That is why i turned them down also but i did think that it wasn't the best idea for the a 13year old to have them as there nail has not fully grown and that it wouldn't do there nail any good but i'm thinking i'm totally wrong :cry:

I wouldn't personally want my kids wearing extensions at that age.... but if the parents are cool with it I would do them..... It's there choice at the end of the day hun

Hey Ladies

As a kid who had her nails done at 12 let me tell you it was the one of the best things that my mum could ever had done for me at that age.

I bit my nails really bad when I was younger. I still do it some times but never as bad as I used to. When I had my nails done at this age it made me stop biting them as bad and it also gave me a lot more confidence.

I am sure as you all know it makes you feel a lot better about yourself when your nails are done. So just think about this before you refuse a young client in future. You are there to provide them with a good service and if you do your job correctly no over filing, correct home care, regular maintainance etc there is no reason you shouldn't treat them as a normal client.

I hope this makes you all think twice in future.

Thanks Sarah x

I don't like doing nails on 13 year olds either. My own daughter is 15 and I don't do hers (although she had some for my wedding when she was 12). She says "But you don't understand - I'm the only person at school who could have their nails done for FREE!". I just think that until she's a bit more ladylike and a bit less skater chick, that can wait. I'm in no hurry for her to change though - the longer she stays out of nightclubs the better!

However, I have done teenagers nails. I've checked my insurance and I ALWAYS get the parent to sign the client record card and make a note of my recommendations. I say that I don't recommend extensions for under 16s but that it is MY personal opinion and the nails themselves aren't damaging but there are situations were extensions aren't recommended or practical. I explain that it's lovely to have nice nails but they were never meant for climbing trees, skateboarding or school PE lessons (netball, hockey, etc.) and if an injury was sustained to the nail in these circumstances it would be VERY painful.

If that doesn't put them off then I will do the nails because better they have a set done with me who will take care of their nails than the local NSS salon who will do them without a care, using substandard products and efiles on their natural nails. Because if they want them done, they will get them done and they won't think of the consequences.

I also offer a free removal service if they are just for a special occasion and don't want to wear them all the time. I get them coming back each time they have a special occasion and their nails are cared for too.

The main problem for me is finding something to talk to a 13 year old about for 1.5 hours!

Hey Ladies

As a kid who had her nails done at 12 let me tell you it was the one of the best things that my mum could ever had done for me at that age.

I bit my nails really bad when I was younger. I still do it some times but never as bad as I used to. When I had my nails done at this age it made me stop biting them as bad and it also gave me a lot more confidence.

I am sure as you all know it makes you feel a lot better about yourself when your nails are done. So just think about this before you refuse a young client in future. You are there to provide them with a good service and if you do your job correctly no over filing, correct home care, regular maintainance etc there is no reason you shouldn't treat them as a normal client.

I hope this makes you all think twice in future.

Thanks Sarah x

I think that we are all perfectly aware of what our roles are towards our clients - but would a 13yr old be responsible enough to carry out her role in taking care of them??!!!:irked:

If it were me I would check my insurance covered the service 1st and that I had a parent present and get them to sign the consultation card for permission to go ahead with the treatment. Then I would make sure that the parent is fully aware of aftercare and the importance of regular maintenance.

If I didn't do them I am sure they would find someone who would and they may not give a toss about the health of their clients nails. JMHO x

I think what needs to be remembered also is that a 10 or 13yr old girl is STILL A CHILD.
What is wrong with them remaining a child?
Why can't a child look like a child???
And perhaps I'm old fashioned, but: nail enhancements, permanents, hair colour, makeup, high heels and revealing clothes are innapropriate on children.

Yes, we are in the service industry. Yes, we should do as the client asks and mind our own business..............
BUT...
while they aren't our own, as part of a community, we owe it to other children to think for their parents sometimes (hey, lets face it.. not all parents are up to the job.....)

What happened to the idea of a community raising a child?
We wouldn't think twice about interfering if someone said "I'm going to pull my kid out of school and make them go to work to help pay the mortgage"
A job is an 'adult' thing.
Nail enhancements are an adult thing.
Apples to oranges... maybe.
But, a child is a child.

I personally won't do it. Not even if the parent threatens they'll take the child to the NSS. Why? Maybe after one painful visit to the NSS, they'll never go back and forget the idea.

I am stressing already - and my eldest is 7 - about how I'll cope when she reaches highschool. She's already just over 4feet tall (I'm only 5'4"), I'm not ready for her to look like an adult so that adult males will harass her. A friend of mine has that problem with her 12yr old daughter, and her daughter doesn't dress innapropriately.

PS: I personally think that most high school girls dress like tarts.... is this the wave of the future?

This question has been asked so many times and I honestly can't see it ever being resolved. Everyone has their own preference and reason to why they would or would not do it. One of my clients is my 12 y/o cousin. Her mum asked me to put a short set of natural looking nails on her for a wedding she was going to and she had extremly badly bitten nails. They looked very natural and were short but to her they were long (due to always having gross nails) when I removed them she had a lovely bit of Free edge and asked me to put them back on. Instead I did a NNO and we keep them a sensible length. she takes great care of them considering she is only 12.

Yes Maggie I do think a 13 year old will look after there nails. I did. If they want them done that bad they will look after them .
Sarah x

There has been various threads and discussions on her about this subject.
Everyone has different opinions and worries personally I would if the parents are happy but only if the Insurance alows you.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/36288-dilemma-nails-under-16s.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/83993-would-you-do-gel-nails-13yr-old.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/68743-enhancements-13-year-olds.html

Hth's :hug:
Have to say, I agree with Karen. Yes, I would do the service as I know how to lookafter the nail plate and always give an aftercare sheet and solar oil!I would only extend to a natural, manageable length though and I would warn a kid of that age to be careful and watch for lifting and educate them because kids are more heavy handed!

Latest posts

Back