40% rent increase ??????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing is a solicitor can change an emotional response into a legal and simply stated response.:hug:

I'm about to combat them with a property within 20 yards of where I live, it's off the main street, but I have enough clients to survive (and most new ones are recommendations. It would be a real shame to move closer to home with city and harbour views AND A BLOODY SWIMMING POOL.
Woolloomooloo Office/showroom Lease - Commercial Real Estate ID 183505=

It may be time to relax into a business (it still has a bigger space) away from the hustle and bustle and have a bit of fun while i'm working, a dip between clients would be nice ... and the opportunity for some extra space to teach (which I would happily do if i was in a more relaxed atmosphere), It's so close to where I live, i could throw rocks on the roof from my balcony.

I of course agree with everyone else about the greed of your Landlord.
I think your letter puts your point across very well....apart from the opening line, although I do agree with the sentiment I am sure you will change it before you send it on.

I remember well when you posted before and after pictures of your salon....and know you have put a lot of hard work , and sweat!! into it.

I am sure it won't be easy to just up sticks and start again.
In fact I know...as I have had to do it twice due to similar problems.
It has always worked out better for me in the long run....so I hope that will also be the case for you.
The pool looks great BTW!!

i have a situation where my lease is due for renewal and my already ludicrous rent is being elevated - not by 40% tho
I have sought advice on what to do and spoken to other tenants with the same landlords on my road - i feel confidant it will stay the same
pm and i will go thru what i have discovered
luce xxx

I'm about to combat them with a property within 20 yards of where I live, it's off the main street, but I have enough clients to survive (and most new ones are recommendations. It would be a real shame to move closer to home with city and harbour views AND A BLOODY SWIMMING POOL.
Woolloomooloo Office/showroom Lease - Commercial Real Estate ID 183505=

It may be time to relax into a business (it still has a bigger space) away from the hustle and bustle and have a bit of fun while i'm working, a dip between clients would be nice ... and the opportunity for some extra space to teach (which I would happily do if i was in a more relaxed atmosphere), It's so close to where I live, i could throw rocks on the roof from my balcony.
You could set up your pedicure area by the pool.:) Or it could be a lovely spot for clients to sit and wait for the polish to dry.

Looks great Carl - need a pool girl ? :)

Sign me up for the pool!!

LOL

Wouldn't that put a kink in their works! And then, wouldn't it be even better if they went through one horrid tennant after another, who wrecked the place and never paid rent :twisted: While you sat across the way, cognizant of their misery, laughing your A** off

:lol::lol:

I sympathise with you entiraly? , have you asked WHY they feel the need to increase the rent with that percentage?

Knock on a few buisness doors and ask how much their rent is increasing.

Another thing to think about is that from April, I believe that all empty premisies rates will have to be paid for by the landlord....

What I wouldnt want to happen to you, is for you to accept this increase and be working for nothing but the rent....could you not do your buisness in your home?

Good luck to you...I hope you sort something out and dont be a victim of greed!

The new place looks great, its just as well you live on the other side of the world otherwise I think you'd be inundated with geeks:green:
Yes by the way, I think you should start teaching, I must say I thought you already did:eek:
Good luck with it all.:hug:

I sympathise with you entiraly? , have you asked WHY they feel the need to increase the rent with that percentage?

Knock on a few buisness doors and ask how much their rent is increasing.

Another thing to think about is that from April, I believe that all empty premisies rates will have to be paid for by the landlord....

What I wouldnt want to happen to you, is for you to accept this increase and be working for nothing but the rent....could you not do your buisness in your home?

Good luck to you...I hope you sort something out and dont be a victim of greed!

They are upping the rent according to the new market value of the premises (which is ridiculous, it's gone up 5% per year for 3 years, then 40% this time) which = 55% compounded .... it's ridiculous., however, they are entitled to try it on.

Also I have checked my real estates website and other properties that are currently for lease are cheaper per square metre than my shop.

They are in for a battle, funny thing is, the premises I am looking at as an alternative, I looked at before my current shop .... just to show you how close the new place (with the pool is), I took a picture from my balcony 5 mins ago, it's down the elevator across the road and 50 yards away.

I can't help thinking about having access to that pool in summer on the weekends. Very little passing trade , although opposite the possible new place is the best and cheapest bottleshop in town and if I only needed 4 clients to cover the rent per week............ gawd, now I'm confused, I love my salon, but I love change, love a view and have always thought a pool by the salon is pretty damn cool, guess I'm gonna have to wait and see.

Just to add, the new real estate agent absolutely hates my current agent.
What a pickle !!!!
latest007.jpg

Last edited:
A real dilemma, you mention little passing trade but surely the mainstay of your business is regulars, isn't it?

I'm afraid I would be swayed by that pool, though it is hardly a good business reason, I know:)

Whats a man to do ?

A change is as good as a holiday.:)

i wonder do you have a rent agreement in writting cos then you can see if he is allowed to charge you such a mad amount of an increase- personally untill my complaints are met i would refuse to pay more. you must be firm!
Good luck

i think you could take on the new place.

it sounds to me as if the current premises are going to be very difficult to re let and as most tenants have not been successful in making a business there it will either remain unlet for a loooong time or will become available again in the future.

so if things do not work out to well in the new premises you'll probably have a second chance at the old place.

Latest posts

Back