a bad treatment - worth complaining?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleL

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just after abit of advice really..

I regulary have L&P Nail enhancments which my mum does for me as she is qualifed and i've never had any problems and i must admit that she does a very good job, however my mum went on holiday for 2 weeks and i was desperate to get my nails done for a party so i phoned around and booked with a local mobile nail technician to get them done.

Anyway, she arrived for the appointment and the first tihng she did was start sizing the tips up.. i was confused to note that she never steralized her instruments, neither did she spray or wash our hands and worst of all, she never did any preparation of the nails, no buffing, removing cuticle on nail plate etc... Now im not qualifed in nails as yet (although im currently training), so im not going to purtray that i know everything about nail enhancments and how to do them but i do understand that hygiene and preparation of the nails prior to enhancments is very important to ensure no lifting etc..

Anyway, i kept my mouth shut and just let her carry on, asuming she knew what she was doing :rolleyes:... the tips where applied, glue went everywhere! but then i was more shocked to see her applying the primer and then A SHED LOAD of cuticle oil ontop of the primer and then applying the l&p :eek:

At this point, i asked if that was correct as surely the oil would stop the L&p adhering properly.. with that she gave me a nasty look and told me that she was the one that was trained so she knows what she is doing :rolleyes::eek: ... i didn't argue with her even though in the back of my mind, i knew this was wrong (assuming i am correct here?!)

After she had finised, i paid and she left. On closer inspection, the finished result was not good at all.. the finish was thick and bumpy and looked very messy. The next day, i woke up and noticed that they had all lifted around teh cuticles (no surprise!) so i called her to explain and after listening to her explain that it was probably because i had my hands in water for to long!!, she did tell me she would come round and infill them, so round she came and what did she do.. she just applied another thick coat of L&P ontop of the lifted nails and that was it.. so now I had a set of even thicker enchanments and properly trapping bacteria and god knows what else encased between the two lays of l&P!!

My mum returned a few days later and i got her to soak them off straight away and she was shocked with them ( they even had green bits in them by this time! not shocked with that really.. to be expected!)

Basically i just wondered if you think i should just forget about it or whether i should possibly phone and mention something to the nail tech? if it was me, i'd personally prefer to hear from any client who may have a problem so that i could resolve it and ensure it doesn't happen in future...
i'd hate for anyone else to spend good money and recieve the same result as i did.

Lau x
p.s/ sorry for the long post!

Sorry lost for words really :eek:

what because of her treatment?!?

Hi Hun,
Absolutely disgusting treatment.........wondered if she was even qualified?????????
Hope you have happy nails now that your mum is back. Lotsa luv x

before she did the treatment, i did ask to see her qualifcation certificates (something i have alway done with new therapists etc.. i like abit of reasurrance because you never no nowadays) and she did produce them (after a very unplesent look from her!)..

I know i should really say something to her as its terrible what she has done and as mentioned, i would hate the same to happen to anyone else.. but i dont quite no what to say to her or how to word it.. i don't want it getting out of hand, but the last thing i want to do is push it to the back of my mind and pretend it never happened.

any advice really?

Lau x

Last edited:
I would definitely call her but i would not, under any circumstances, let her near my nails again

xx

dont worry.. i have no intentions on letting her near my nails again!!

I wouldn't bother complaining again as she obviously won't take a bit of notice. Gotta say though, as you obviously knew that what she was doing was wrong, why didn't you at least step in and say 'Oh, shall I give my hands a quick wash?', even if you didn't feel confidant enough to tell her outright that you weren't happy with the way she was doing them.

I think i would be inclined to put it down to bad experiance...sure you can tell her you where unhappy with what she did but where will it get you....?? she will still be out there doing her thing and you will have got all worked up.

yes I'd call her and explain what happened - but in a calm and prof. manner, this doesnt call for a slanging match, but however she needs to know whats happened so that she think about how to improve in the future! Just our of interest, what were her certs?

i think we all know she has done wrong...as soon as i read that she done no sanitize....or prep ...THEN applyed oil...they would lift....i would not say anything to her....she has a certificate (dont know how)....and it will just cause trouble for you and your family ...i would DEFO stay away from her ....at least you have your mum to do your nails....xx

Hi chick,
That sounds awful...your poor nails!!! I would phone her and explain that you are training to do nails and you asked your trainer to look at the nails after she had done them and your trainer said... and list the things she did wrong ( in a nice way if you can). Then i would tell her that your trainer suggested for her to go on a renewal course or to change brands etc... Just to offer her some kind advice really... if not to see if she offers you your money back!:eek:

To be honest I think the best thing you can do is put it down to a bad (very bad) experience, she obviously isn't very proffesional, you don't want her going anywhere near your nails again to try to put things right, but I think the chances of you even getting a refund are minimal :rolleyes:

This kinda thing used to happen to me all the time, which is why I decided to become a nailtech myself, you are lucky that your mums back to take care of your nails, just tell her that she can't ever go away again :lol:

What's with putting oil on top of the primer :eek::eek:

i no, i no!! i should have steps in and asked if i should wash my hands and i keep kicking myself about that now i think about it, but at the time (me being shy and all), i just sat there and kept quiet.. silly of me i know..

any i see what you mean about leaving it and not saying anything... there's not really much point is there..?

lau x

she had a VTCT Cert in nail technology. She mentioned that she had a certificate in acrylgel aswell but that was at home.

Im not after a refund.. i can see there is no point with that, but the reason i asked whether i should say something to her or not was to try and make a different to her service so that others dont end up with a terrible job like i did.. but having listened to everyones advice, i think i will just forget it.

Lau x

To be honest hun I don't think calling her would make any difference at all.
What I would do is if anyone asks you to recommend a Nail Tech just tell them how bad she was and recommend someone else:hug:

ooh noooooooo I'd never bad mouth another tech or therapist to anyone else, makes you look unprofessional, at least you can recommend your mum!

i wldnt let her get away wit that!!! i would of said summet before she went!!! you could of got a fungal infection and they ar hard to get rid of!!! id get your mum to talk to her as she nos alot more and put her stright!!

Well if those are the sort of nails she is producing she won't be in business for very long !

I'd just chalk it down to a bad experience and let it go. If you phone her it doesn't sound as though she will pay one bit of notice to what you say. If she was that rude to you when she was in front of you in your house, goodness knows what she would say to you on the phone. You'll just get yourself more wound up, as I don't think there is any chance of a refund, or even any kind of recognition she didn't do as good a job as she should have.
Just breathe......and let go.
Marion x

Latest posts

Back