A great week,

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Hiya everyone, hope your all well.

I only started going mobile about 4 weeks ago, after quitting my dull borin office job and i was beginning to worry as i had 1 client in 3 weeks. Then i put a post in out local rag and the word is starting to spread. This week has been brill ! I have had a client every day this week (i know its not alot as some of you have 5-6 a day). But i feel alot better about quitting the job now.

I read all the threads on here about people struggling to find clients and not working enough and wanted to reply but felt so low i didn't want to make people feel worse with my woes. Next week i may get nothing but i will try not to get down about it.

I did a lady of 98 today who was such a dear, But she just wanted her nails cutting as she is blind and cannot do them herself, i noticed as i was with her that she didn't want to much fussing so i just reduced the length with a file, should i be using manicure using nail clippers for this ? also i attempted to remove the cuticle and she said she didn't like it and would i skip that part, I was very gentle but she didn't like it, am i ok to skip this bit if its what the customer wants ?

Infact the only part of it all that she loved was the hand massage, but she gave me a tip and re-booked for once a month every month so she must have liked me.

Any help with my high lighted questions would be great, and the rest was just to try and give a little hope to my fellow geeks who are waiting for clients, they will come ! xxx

What a lovely thread, glad to hear you have had a good week, As far as the client goes, I would have said that it is not like you just skipping bits for the sake of it, she does not like it so we must listern to what our clients tell us:)

It would of course be a little different if it was enhancements!! But you have obviously made her happy so, be proud of yourself.

amberrose said:

I only started going mobile about 4 weeks ago, after quitting my dull borin office job and i was beginning to worry as i had 1 client in 3 weeks. Then i put a post in out local rag and the word is starting to spread. This week has been brill ! I have had a client every day this week (i know its not alot as some of you have 5-6 a day). But i feel alot better about quitting the job now.

I read all the threads on here about people struggling to find clients and not working enough and wanted to reply but felt so low i didn't want to make people feel worse with my woes. Next week i may get nothing but i will try not to get down about it.

I did a lady of 98 today who was such a dear, But she just wanted her nails cutting as she is blind and cannot do them herself, i noticed as i was with her that she didn't want to much fussing so i just reduced the length with a file, should i be using manicure using nail clippers for this ? also i attempted to remove the cuticle and she said she didn't like it and would i skip that part, I was very gentle but she didn't like it, am i ok to skip this bit if its what the customer wants ?

Infact the only part of it all that she loved was the hand massage, but she gave me a tip and re-booked for once a month every month so she must have liked me.

Any help with my high lighted questions would be great, and the rest was just to try and give a little hope to my fellow geeks who are waiting for clients, they will come ! xxx

Hi Angie

Its so nice to hear that things are starting to move for you. It will not take long for the word to spread. I packed up my boring old office job on 10th December and now have 15 regular clients - would like some more but I am sure it will pick up. I am doing a pedicure course next week and a lot of people have said that they would love to come for that - another string to my bow!!!!

Cos I'm a newbie too I would also like to know the answer to your questions. I am so glad that the old lady enjoyed her manicure and has rebooked.

Chris :biggrin:

This is my goal, more clients means more money means MORE TRAINING, i cant wait to learn L&P and I would also love some 1 to 1.

I dont know if i am quite ready for feet yet...i have a bit of a feet thing i have to overcome.

Thanks for the lovely replys xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi angie,

It takes time to build up your client base but you will get there eventually. Word of mouth is the best advertising around, and its free. As for your lady client not wanting certain parts of the treatment, well i think its fine to skip out areas that clients dont like, and just give them more of what they do like. For instance your lady didnt want her cuticles removing, but enjoyed the massage, so offer her a slightly longer massage to compensate.
HTH.

Michelle x

Hi Angie

Congrats on how your mobile business is growing!

Although I am only in practice mode, I am already nervous about when I officially go mobile with regards to gaining clients. I've read loads of advice on here about how to attract clients and I will put all the relevant parts into practice.

BUT I know this won't guarantee me clients and it will take time. This is scary as I left my job in October last year and am relying on savings at the moment (my partner doesn't earn enough to be able to support me).

My point is that your post has given me some confidence and that although it is very scary starting out on your own, it can be done.

Well done, keep at it and keep us updated.

Love Sal xxx

amberrose said:
should i be using manicure using nail clippers for this ? also i attempted to remove the cuticle and she said she didn't like it and would i skip that part, I was very gentle but she didn't like it, am i ok to skip this bit if its what the customer wants ?

Hi

The idea behind our treatments is to not only improve the clients nails but to also relax and pamper them. I think that you did exactly the right thing in customizing your treatment to suit your client. You could use nail clippers to reduce the length but it may be as the lady is of poor sight she finds the idea of you using sharpe implements on her makes her feel uncomfortable. I would think that the more you treat her the more trust she will gain in you and so will eventually allow you to see to her cuticles and clip her nails.
As she has bad eyesight why don't you play to her sense of smell and find out what smells she likes and use lotions like cnd scentsations to massage with. If you think about it it must be quite nerve wracking not to be able to see well and you can understand her feeling nervous.

Well done you on building up your clientell and best of luck for the future, its nice to hear of someone doing well.

i am just keeping my fingers crossed for march as thats when my yellow pages ad comes out.
angie well done mate you sound dead happy...all ya hard works paying off

Bit confused as I was under the impression the yellow pages only came out once a year in January? Am I missing something. I want to put an add in Yellow pages they said I have to wait till next year now.

joannerowsell said:
i am just keeping my fingers crossed for march as thats when my yellow pages ad comes out.
angie well done mate you sound dead happy...all ya hard works paying off

Well done Angie :wink2:

Sometimes it's hard to believe there's any light at the end of the tunnel, but there is, even though it may take a while getting there.

Great news Angie, I hope the business keeps growing for you.
K x

Karin said:
Bit confused as I was under the impression the yellow pages only came out once a year in January? Am I missing something. I want to put an add in Yellow pages they said I have to wait till next year now.

Karin - the Yellow Pages book is produced every two years on a rotating basis around the country. Depending where you are located dictates when your book is produced - Sussex may get theirs in January, but Scotland might not get theirs until September (I don't know exact months)

HTH
Trin
xx

amberrose said:

Angie,

I just wanted to say one thing to you first ... WELL DONE!!!!

This will be me in a few weeks as I am resigning end of March and was so scared and now I am not so worried anymore. I will refer to this thread everytime I feel like nothings happening.

I think you're very brave as well, it's hard to keep your problems to yourself when you feel you've found a family in this site, and you thought of others before you posted yet posted the positive instead. :hug:

I'd be real chuffed too!!! Let us know how you're doing

Luv

Rose
xxxx

you guys are just the best:hug:

thanks alot. xxx

also yellow pages rang and asked if i wanted a proper ad, as i only have the free 1 liner, he said if i arranged it now it would be in for the october copy...BUT it was quite expensive (well for me) 300.00 for a little box, then a friend told me to wait till nearer october to arrange as they will be reduced with special offers, so thats what i may do. And you can pay in 10 monthly instalments.

xxxx

thats what i did angie worked out over half the price of the £300
my deadline was feb and will go in march.
so like you said wait until the better offer in october.

My YP ad comes out next month - that's when the Swindon one is published. I arranged mine in November last year and got a discount for being a first time advertiser. This is the first time that the Swindon YP has had a dedicated 'Nail Technician' section, before that we were covered in 'Beauty', so I've taken a full colour ad in Nails and a black & white in Beauty.....so all in I'm spending about £700!!! Let's hope it's worth it....!!

I'm doing a leaflet drop next week, so I'll keep you all posted on how that goes...

I left my full time jpb at the end of December so now need to start building my client base - I've got a couple of ideas up my sleeve, but want to do one thing at a time and see what works.....

Good for you having a good week though!

Yvette
xx

hi angie,
i know it seems expensive, buy you only need one client a month to pay for your ad. it was the best thing i did, i went from having 5 a week to 15 a week in about 3 months. dont forget as well - for every new client you get you also have someone else out their advertising your wares. good luck xx

well done Angie,
I agree with what the others said tailor your treatment to suit your client, I have found that the older ladies really enjoy the massage part of the treatment, another nice thing you could do for her is heated mitts or a parafin wax treatment.:)

Latest posts

Back