A Polite observation....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemmonie

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

As a newbie I have been reading this site alot and it is full of valuable information from obviously talented, highly trained and experianced individuals.

HOWEVER, I have noticed that any questions from newbies or students are usually met with hostility and incredulessness from members who seem to assume we are all after a free ride and cant do anything for ourselves.

If I wasnt so inclined i would probably be afraid to post a question as a newbie.

Please remember that you were all students once and we are only trying to learn a new skill. It surely shouldnt matter if we read the answer to a question in a book are one of you tells us. The bottom line is often simply having learnt something new.

:Love:

Hi ladies,

As a newbie I have been reading this site alot and it is full of valuable information from obviously talented, highly trained and experienced individuals.

HOWEVER, I have noticed that any questions from newbies or students are usually met with hostility and incredulessness from members who seem to assume we are all after a free ride and cant do anything for ourselves.

If I wasnt so inclined i would probably be afraid to post a question as a newbie.

Please remember that you were all students once and we are only trying to learn a new skill. It surely shouldnt matter if we read the answer to a question in a book are one of you tells us. The bottom line is often simply having learnt something new.

Hi..and welcome to salon Geek.
Generally speaking most newbies are welcomed with open arms....the reaction by others to any newbie posting is reflective of the posting itself.

If its daft ..well erm you get an appropriate response....if its relevant then you would get a response reflective of the posting.

In actual fact...relativley speaking a newbie probably gets a wider berth than a regular experienced geek who posts a load of nonsense who would promptly get shot to bits.

I guess the response to anyones posting (new or experienced)is completely reflective of the posting itself.:hug:

Anway...how do you now feel that you have taken the plunge and done your first posting :wink2:

Welcome hun, hope you enjoy the site xx

Welcome huni!!
100% agree there hun!!!
Enjoy the site and dont be afraid :)
xxx

Hi and welcome to the site.....It's not that people on her are hostile in their replies.....many of the questions asked have been answered time and time again. If people were to read the faqs about the site then they would see there is a search button and most answers to any questions will be found in one of the threads already posted.

The main reason newbies get shot down is because they come on and ask silly things like "I finally became a nail tech after my 1 day acrylic course and I bought my kit second hand from ebay"

We see it time and time again and it is a complete insult to the techs on this site who have spent thousand on training over the years!

Not every newbie is like this but a lot are so it's hard to reply.

Just because our answers are not what the poster wanted doesn't make them hostile!

Hi and welcome to the site.....It's not that people on her are hostile in their replies.....many of the questions asked have been answered time and time again. If people were to read the faqs about the site then they would see there is a search button and most answers to any questions will be found in one of the threads already posted.
got to it before me!
Its extremely frustrating to read the same questions over and over and over, so therefore the thread only gets a few responses or not answered at all.
I have often suggested using the SEARCH button and have been accused of being very unhelpful by a newbie before. It only takes a moment to do a search, and its a joy to read the already answered responses.

I nearly always check the search button before asking a professional question, for example, I've just taken on a new brand. I searched the brand name on here, then pm'ed a few geeks that had expressed an opinion on the previous threads.

Also, we get a lot of students asking for 'help' with homework. Its in inverted commas as sometimes the questions are at such a basic level it would have been covered in class in theory and practical, therefore we can get a little jaded.

I've only been a member for a year so I feel for the 'oldies' here.

HTH and welcome to geek.

Hi ladies,

As a newbie I have been reading this site alot and it is full of valuable information from obviously talented, highly trained and experianced individuals.

Tbh, questions are usually answered in the manner they are asked - so if a newbie has blatantly posted their homework for us to answer they will get a short, sharp answer. If thoughtful questions are asked in order to verify (or otherwise) someone's ideas then they will get support and help. Personally, I see very little 'hostility' towards new members.

It's true were all students once, but it also the truth that there is no substitute for doing your own research. As a student you need to understand why something is the way it is, not just that it is.......

This is the most welcoming and friendly site you could wish for and threads worded provocatively like yours can often incite the very attitude you talk about. If you post as you wish others to post you'll find they very often will.........

Happy geeking

Hi - Im a newbie nail tec and I wanted to say that everyone has been so helpful and I have learnt so much just reading this site, so a big thank you to the oldies!! x

Here! Here!

I tend not to answer a lot of the newbie's questions because they have already been covered and often quite recently.

I am also reluctant to answer when profiles are not completed.

Considering the number of members to this site, it is a very happy camp and that is the way we all want it to stay.

Hopefully, no geek will not be put off posting questions and will benefit from the wealth of knowledge that I have. Happy geeking! xx:Love:

Hi ladies,

Hi and welcome.

I can only agree and second what everyone else has so rightly put.
I disagree though that most newbies are met with hostility, in fact i find it quite the opposite.
Yes we do get the newbies that do want a free ride, but majority of newbies don't.
Even though I am a qualified therapist, I am also a student myself again now having embarking recently on a complimentary therapy degree course at uni.
I wouldnt dream though of asking any geeks to do my homework for me, even though I feel as though I know quite a lot of geeks. Its just not a done thing.

Please don't be afraid though to post a question cos we are all here to learn afterall, just be expected to be pointed in the direction of where you could posssibly find your answer, rather than someone actually answering the question for you. iykwim.

Nearly everyone on here are lovely people and are very supportive.

I dont answer nail questions anyway because i dont do nails, but i am always willing to help anyone with anything else.

Good luck and enjoy the site , its a minefield of info.

xx

Welcome to the site and I hope you can enjoy it and learn lots.

However, you have to realise that the site has only been going for a short length of time - about 5 years. Lots of people on here had no Salon Geek to help when they were doing their training but they had to research on their own. Some people didnt even have the internet LOL.

Every September we get the same batch of questions. Would you ask your tutor to give you the answers to your questions. Surely it makes no difference if they tell you than if you actually read your text book and found the answer for yourself.

This in effect is what has just been said in the opening post.

If we all give the answers to the training questions asked then where is the learning.

For example - Question - what can white spots on the nail be - Answer - possibly leukonychia - this is then what is written as the answer - but do you actually know what it means?

We are all really nice and helpful here but people have to help themselves too.

Welcome to the site.
Everyone here does their best to be helpful and post constructively.
If this is your 2nd post maybe you need to rethink whether the site is what you are looking for?
Checkout the many articles and tutorials and print them off if that helps.
Nobody here is hostile but if you are somewhat touchy to honesty and constructive critisism..BEWARE!!!:)

Lemmonie - i actually agree to an extent with you. i find once one person has been hostile to a newbie everyone seems to jump on the band wagon and repeat the same old hostile messages. it only takes one person to say that there post has probably been answered elsewhere.

The tutorials are really good though. i dont see why people get so frustrated with newbies who repeat questions though...we were all new to the site at one point and not quite sure how to navigate it. so just give all the newbies a break please! :)xxxx

For a site where we have (at the time of writing this) 22,847 members, 69,876 threads and 787,936 posts I'd say we all get on extremely well with virtually none of the so called hostility that has been written about.

This site is the largest online salon professionals community forum and to have all of those people under one roof (so to speak) you'd think we'd have mega problems, we don't, what we do have is a well oiled machine (for want of better wording) that serves to educate and help with all of the articles, tutorials and time given freely by those members who care enough to give a damn about our industry!

I think that hostility, like beauty, seems to exist in the eye of the beholder.

:hug:

Lemmonie - i actually agree to an extent with you. i find once one person has been hostile to a newbie everyone seems to jump on the band wagon and repeat the same old hostile messages. it only takes one person to say that there post has probably been answered elsewhere.

The tutorials are really good though. i dont see why people get so frustrated with newbies who repeat questions though...we were all new to the site at one point and not quite sure how to navigate it. so just give all the newbies a break please! :)xxxx
What happens is that we point them in the right direction ie SEARCH and most newbies learn very quickly and then dont become newbies. What stands out is newbies that ask a question, then don't bother really reading the answer, or not going to the search button to bother reading.

we also get very enthusiastic geeks that re-hash very old threads or polls. Its great that the enthusiasm is there, but tends to get in the way of normal geeking.

think of it as a staff room, you would actually take your time to get to know people, you would watch how things are done and very quickly learn what is acceptable behaviour/protocol and what is not. You would then go with the flow.

but some people come on and have their own agenda and very strong personality and not take the time to blend in. (I often visualise Rimmer from Red Dwarf at these times).

Anway...how do you now feel that you have taken the plunge and done your first posting :wink2:

Seems your getting a very warm welcome and some good valid points made by some experienced Geeks....my my and even a Mod or two :wink2:

So having now posted and gotten some good feed back....how does it feel participating fully :Love:

just had a quick lookie on the site, 2 request for homework help:rolleyes: a request for a advice on a well know professional skincare range (done to death), question about a spray tan (probably already discussed before), question about a way of marketing yourself (discussed infinity times) ...........shall I go on?

I wouldnt dream though of asking any geeks to do my homework for me, even though I feel as though I know quite a lot of geeks. Its just not a done thing.

xx

You best not be asking me :lol: I'll just shoot you down in flames :green:

Loves ya really Elaine :hug:

I can't understand why people are so afraid of posting, I admit that I got shot down on my first post which at the time of posting I didnt really understand the ins and outs of what i was asking.

I say I got shot down but now I understand (I think) the person that "shot me down" I realise that I was getting the best advice going. Some times it may appear to be a blunt reply, when in fact it's just a normal reply and it's been mis-interpreted, hence the little smilies :lol: that can make a message seen like a nice reply :hug: and read as a nice reply.

I never gave up on posting and I didnt retaliate with a "off" reply and now I have a lovely geeky family, admittidly, I've neglected them recently due to being so busy but there are alot of V V V good geeks on here, willing to hand out advice pretty much 24/7 and not just about nails, hair and beauty!!!!!

My advice is to post constructively, search before posting, respect the advice given and remember that just because it may not be the answer you were looking for, someone, somewhere, took the time to answer you without asking for anything in return and that IMO is PRICELESS!!!!

:Love::Love::Love:

Latest posts

Back