Absolutely disgusted at a college!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What tips do you use Angie? I was taught to cut the wells out by none less than Sassy Hassy who used to be a mod on here.She did say that some people just file them out which was how I was taught on all my other courses however I found it quicker to cut out then blend into the nail.x

I use CND performance mostly, but still use formation and velocity if and when the nail requires...sometimes a nail requires the need for a well....what i am saying in regards to the thread starter is...dont be shocked to hear that the well was not removed...it doesn't HAVE to be.

I am currently at College doing an evening course (3 hours a week) which started at the beginning of February.

I am doing a VTCT Nail Tech course in Silk enxtensions ........... so far we have

* Learnt to put the silk on (the first week)
* Put the tip on. (the second week)
* Blend (taught this the second week)
* Cut Wells (the third week)
* Put silk, cut Wells, put tip on and blended for the last two weeks (the week before last, we just did one tip on each other and last Thursday we did three tips on each other).

We have been given homework EVERY week and last two weeks ago we were given our first assignment which is due in this Thursday. We will then be given our second and final assignment.

The course is for 17 weeks.

I would also like to add that my current tutor is fantastic and it was her who told me about this site. I email her most days with pics of nails i've done and with queries and she is so lovely. My waxing tutor was the same very good and very strict. I also had two tutors for man/ped who were lovely but not very strict but saying that, they were very strict when it came to assessment! No way would they pass any of us if we didn't reach the standards.

I had a girl start today on work experience for beauty. When I asked her about college she told me that because the college are behind they have only had FIVE HOURS on l and p and will be having the same for gel and silk and they wont be coming back to it.....theres more, she hasnt been shown how to blend a tip, they are literally sticking it straight on no cutting away they well nothing. They havnt been shown how to do a rebalance (infils) and have been told they havnt got time for it, THEY HAVE BEEN SHOWN NOOOOOO PREP what so ever.So when i asked her from start to finish how tey were doing it this is what she said:
spray hands with sanitizer
File free edge
apply bonder
stick tip on (no cutting of the well)
NO BLENDING
straight to zone 2 (they said there was no need to do zone 1 because there is a tip there)
zone 3

to file and finish just use a buffing block then top coat, no oil nothing.

I felt so sorry for the girl how on earth is she ment to do beautifull nails like this when she no's no better. I am sorry for going on but I am disgusted......its not just me is it? I am seriously thinking of making a complaint to the college about it would that be doing the right thing? x:mad::mad::mad:

that is realy strange about not putting acrylic in zone 1...

i had this text today from a girl who is at college she said

"when you apply tips and you are ready for the acrylic do you just pat the acrylic to the smile line? my tutor said so, and you don't touch the tip"

where are they getting that from, i don't understand ??

Thing is Susie, I did complain and never heard anything and I complained to Head of Department and when I got nowhere with her I went to the college complaints department and got nowhere with them either. I simply will never attend a course at that college again.

anne xx

Mum on page one of this thread, gives us the details of who to complain to, I have found in the past when having to deal with this type of thing that if at the top you put copy to: and then list the out side bodies who are going to get a letter, like Habta, they give it a bit more attention, they have to, because the independant bodies are going to what to know the outcome, some collages tend to treat us all as if we are bothersome children and when they are forced into the real world, where adults stand up to them it's a bit of a shock. Our local collage, was a prime example, they tried to ride rough shod over Kay, she was told to turn up to a disaplinary and that she could bring her parents if she wanted to. Paul and I both attended and made the lecturer provide facts to back up her statements. End result was that Kay had a blemish free record of attendance. But their attitude shocked me, this is an ADULT learning center, not a playground. A lot of these collages think they can run things any way they want to. Nothing will change unless we make it change.
The right way to do so is to draw attention to them from the out side world.

I can quite beleive the horror stories :eek:
I am currently doin a nvq 3 in nail services (even thou i have 6yrs experience)...There are 20+ students and atleast 15 do NOT know how to blend a tip properly. we are nearly at the end of the course and so far I am helping teaching the class :D
I surpose that in there defense that the course is only one day a week and there too mant students and not enough time. (its a full time course too)
What i cant beieve is that ALL or them passed level 2 last yr lol. however the few that are compitent are brilliant and really are excelling in the course, they have in my opinion the passion that is required to doin professional nails.
The best thing about the course is seeing the looks on the clients faces when they come in for a fullset pmsl (i know im evil) xxx

Sounds about what I am going through. I am not going to keep up with them..... I am going to wait and go back when I move to Florida in June and go to a school there! I have been shown about the same and if it had not been for this site I would not know more then the school!!!! I want to do haor and Skin as well and god knows what they would have shown me!!! :irked:

I finished my college course last June after attending for a year (and paying quite a price too I might add!)

I was taught the following:

Just lightly buff over the natural nail
Apply tip with resin and activator
Remove tacky residue off nails after each application of gel
Not taught to buff shine off tips so the gel kept slipping off

At the end of the training, my double edged tool and nail dehydrator were still unopened in my training case!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I do not know what zones are. I cannot build at the apex as I don't know what this is.

When I left college I started working straight away and wondered why all my tips were coming off. I can't believe I went through all that worry and upset when all I needed was the correct education.

I now do excellent, flat, gel overlays together with nno's etc. TBH I'm quite happy with the flat nail side of things but almost EVERYTHING else about nails has been learnt on here and youtube. It really incenses me that colleges are able to offer this kind of training. When I spoke to my tutor, she burst out crying (she is very dramatic) and ran out of the salon saying I was disrespecting her! I eventually spoke to the Head of the department who said she would sort matters out but I don't hold out much hope. :rolleyes:

Wow I am very pleases to have so much feedback about all my worries about this college I am in absoulute shock because I have to say When I went to college they were pretty good. I will be taking matters further these poor girls are going to leave college thinking they are doing things right bless them. Luckily I am very friendly with sokebody who works for a different college doing hairdressing and I know she would be able to help because she is not happy with the college standards she works in and is taking matters further there. The best thing about it is that this girl said the tutors had said that they are being rushed because of all the bad snow......yet they have spent 4 and a half months on massage which I am not being funny personally I think there is alot more to learn with nails (as far as different methods products etc). She also told me that most of the time the tutors leave them get on with things while they go and get a cuppa, unfortunatly this is believable because I can remember that from college. Thankyou everybody so much really appreciate your comments. I am going to get on the the college and everybody else concerning first thing and I am goin to spend as much time as I can this week showing the girl the CORRECT WAY of everything. I have told her about salon geek and I have already printed some sheets off for her x

I have gone back to my local college this year for a Nail Technology course, I have experience in L&P but wanted to learn Fibreglass/Silk and Gel, I am far from impressed with their standards...we work in pairs, first week we were told how to prepare nail and apply/blend tip (before any anatomy!) second week apply a full set on eachother after demo (only 3 hour course so for first set after demo only one of the pair got to put a set on) week 3, we had to bring someone in so we could all have a go at putting a set on....then we moved on to silk!!!!!!! Personally i believe L&P is the hardest system to get to grips with and im still learning after a year! each week we have different systems put on us, and r expected to have nails ready for the following week...and yet we still have not been shown how to remove them.
I am collecting info and plan to follow complaints procedure, Im not too concerned about me as I feel confident with what I already knew about Nail Technology but like someone earlier mentioned, some of the girls on the course have no previous experience and im not sure which I feel more sorry for, the more mature students who want to start a new business/career with this or the young (17/18 yr) students who will not do the extra research and soon be in a salon near you!!!

this is the thing this girl thought that she removed nails with nail varnish remover. They are not being shown infills so they will not know how to do them so they wil not be able to deal with lifting which we all know is one of the main problems when we start off so not only does she not know how to do nails correctly but she will also not know how to correct them. I am absoloutly appauled x

Many colleges have to provide Nail Services training because (surprise, surprise!) there is a call for it and they get funded. The problem is that there are not nearly enough experienced nail technicians (who can also teach!!) available for these courses so beauty therapists are put in to take the classes.

I doubt many beauty therapists are happy with this situation but they have no choice. (I feel they could refuse but I'm not in that situation so it probably isn't that easy)

If everyone who is having these bad experiences did something about it the situation would have to change! It's not enough to just complain to the dept or even higher up in the college. They are putting themselves into this wrong situation and won't, or more likely, can't change it. Evidence of this happening needs to go higher in order for it to stop.

In my opinion it would be better not to provide the courses than teach them badly. Funding, funding, targets, targets :mad:

Yes I understand what ou are sayin marian. Its really strange because for the last couple of months I have been seriously thinking about teaching in some way and I was going to head down the road of creative or matrix (hair) but after this I am now thinking about a college. I just wanted to know if any of you dont mind, If the college does take it further and habia and all the rest of them I would like to know if I could show them these posts of you all partically the ones of people who are in college and feel like they have not learnt anything please pm me if you do not want this thanks everybody x

i am doing futher training at my local college and so far i am happy the prep is dry prep and im not really convinced with this but i did my mom nails last week did dry prep but cheated and used scrub fresh before i primed ,, glad to say her nails look fab a tiny lift on a couple of nails but not even enough to see unless your looking for it as i was !!!

My teacher is very good !! i feel for the other girls they won't be ready for industry !!

Just a couple more points, I was not shown how to infill (but have since learned myself) and was told to leave my fingers in pure acetone for up to an hour to remove buff off gel!!!!:cry:

Blimey. I am obviously very lucky to have such a fab tutor.

One thing which does baffle me a bit though is that the young students are left in the salon alone. I'm not being funny but the girls on my course who are aged from mid twenties to early fifties are not even trust to be allowed to even enter the salon on our own, until the tutor is present due to H&S.

It does amaze me just how these colleges/courses differ!

it is exacly the same at my college im 16 and started last september didnt get our kits until 2 or 3 months into the course and when we did they were nothing special my manicure teacher is one of these who is fantastic at demonstrating to us what she can do and how perfect hers are but when we ask her questions or she trys to explain to us she ither cant or cant be bothered to tell us or doesent have the answers shes more interested in where the girls got their bags from! i have been look through some peoples questions and answers on here and thinking what the hell are they on about we have learnt about fiberglass overlay but fiberglass extentions no clue and it is so annoying im supose to know this and i finish in 3 months and i cant even get acrylics to stay on for more then a week :mad:

I'm in my first year at college doing an NQ Beauty Therapy course & to be honest although i'm enjoying it, the content is a bit pants. Right through to an HND (which is 3 years in total) there is no part of the course that covers artificial nails. We get taught manicure in first year & then parrafin wax in HNC (i think...it may even be HND) and it stops there. We don't even cover spray tanning until HND which i personally think is ridiculous.

The course doesn't cover treatments that people want nowadays, i even heard rumours that next year they are switching a full manicure for just a file & polish (no cuticle work) & ditching makeup in favour of childrens face painting.....

I have to say that i wasn't inpressed with the college that i attended to do acrylics. We had 3 different tutors, when one left the new one came not knowing what we had done and so on. It was not structured at all.I really should have asked for a refund.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's more practice than what I got at my college.
My instructor did one NNO and one sculpture with L&P, then one silk.
The process took maybe an hour or so, and she never showed me anything again. I didn't even learn gels.

I had to youtube my way around everything.

Oh Dear I am quite shocked with what I am reading here. I have been lucky by being trained by what I would say 2 of the best teachers and nail techs i have ever come across! my tutor has been doing nails since she was 14, her mother, her grand mother and uncle were all nail techs and the passion my teacher has for nails is unbelievable, she's absoloutely amazing and is always willing to help extra... my friend in class has just won northwest free lance nail art champ 1st place and then has come 3rd place in the nationals!! i can't believe these people r allowed to work @ a college putting these students futures in bad hands tut tut:twisted:

Latest posts

Back