Accepting Credit Cards

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selmarose

Reaction score
Hi, I am contemplating adding card services for my clients. I don't know much about it and would like comments or advise from anyone who has service now or has had in the past. How do you like it? Do you see an increase it sales with it? Would you change your mind if you had to decide today? Any relevant information will be appreciated.

Hi it has been one of the best things I have done business wise. Clients find it convenient with about 98% paying this way. I can take payments over the phone for gift tokens and products and it is really handy if you wish to take deposits - it really puts you on par with high street salons. I got mine through the Federation of Small Businesse sas they give you a good rate. You will have to have a business account to run it through but it is well worth setting up. Hth.:hug:

Yep, I too take cards, and like Essentia most of my clients pay this way. I also got mine via the FSB and Co-op bank with preferential rates. Be warned though, it takes aaaaages to get it all set up as the Co-op aren't the speediest of banks, and it took nearly 6 weeks for the FSB to get their act together too.
to my mind it shows that you're a professional salon, and I do think that people spend a bit more if they can put it on a card. I take Amex too which, for this affluent area, has been quite popular.

If you are considering taking credit cards Amex is worth considering - they have a higher authorisation fee which is why some people don't accept them. Amex is becoming more popular in the UK with airlines and other organisations using it for branded credit cards (Virgin Atlantic in our case). Also as calla said if you are in a affluent area then they are often more popular.

If you accept Amex and get a black Centurion card for payment - look after this client, they generally have lots of money! ;)

If you accept Amex and get a black Centurion card for payment - look after this client, they generally have lots of money! ;)

Yep, she spends about £100 a week on average! That said I look after every single client whether she spends £10 or £100. They're all worth their weight in gold!

I too got my machine throught the Federation of Small Businesses. I've had it for about 5 months now and it is worth it's weight in gold! It proved especially useful before Christmas with people buying vouvhers over the phone.

I have definetley had an increase in business since having a card machine as people just don't tend to carry cash anymore for various reasons but I would say overall its 50/50.

Pretty much all new clients pay by card but as I took cash only for such a long time before getting the machine many of the existing ones stick to cash only unless they are buying products.

It doesn't really make any difference to me if a client pays cash or card although my card provider doesn't pay the money to me until a week after its banked which I find annoying.

If you do a search there are quite a few threads on card machines, should help you make a decision x

The other advantage of a card machine is retail. If they bring cash they may only have enough for the treatment.

I think today we really have to offer the facility to pay by card. I know that when I shop somewhere that doesn't accept card payments, I feel a bit bemused and it is not always convenient to get to a cash machine. It just saves any hassle and the client isn't restricted on what treatment they have or what products they purchase.

I cant comment profesionally as I dont have paying clients yet but I know as a client I favoured salons that take a card, I dont like carrying cash around these days or standing visibly putting money in my purse at cash machines.

My clients are happy to have the option to pay by card... some times they pay cash then other times they pay card... I have done away with accepting cheques now and I find it very convienent that the money goes straight into my back without making the trip down into town to do it manually like I used to do with cheques. Cash I bank as and when I am in town, but cheques I felt I had to bank within a couple of days.

I am very pleased with having this option. :hug:

It's the second question I asked when setting up my business bank account this year. In olden days, or for you lucky, lucky lovely lot with loads of repeat business already then cash is fine!

However, in order to compete - I feel strongly that cards are essential. Plus you get thet extra retail oppourtunity that a card can give you.

I strongly believe these days that people who pay by card are much more likely to take a bottle of cream / lotion / mitt with them if there is plastic fantastic payment options.

Streamline are offering a mobile box at about £30 a month (+setup fee) that will work over the mobile network, so you can take cards in your clients homes, your daily salons, or car parks (no just kidding about the last one!!! :) )

Just my 2penneth!

J.

I use WorldPay. In my practice at home I also have my PC in the corner (my other job is website work so it doubles as my office). I have a WorldPay account to take payments on my online store, and I also get a 'Virtual Terminal' that I can use to take card payments over the phone or in person ... all I need is an Internet connection and I'm sorted.

Not bad for £15 a month. :)

It's the second question I asked when setting up my business bank account this year. In olden days, or for you lucky, lucky lovely lot with loads of repeat business already then cash is fine!

However, in order to compete - I feel strongly that cards are essential. Plus you get thet extra retail oppourtunity that a card can give you.

I strongly believe these days that people who pay by card are much more likely to take a bottle of cream / lotion / mitt with them if there is plastic fantastic payment options.

Streamline are offering a mobile box at about £30 a month (+setup fee) that will work over the mobile network, so you can take cards in your clients homes, your daily salons, or car parks (no just kidding about the last one!!! :) )

Just my 2penneth!

J.

Update; hmm, just got the full quote, and I'm not feeling so smug now :(
Yes, the box is only 30quid a month, but it is on a 3 year contract, and there is a minimum processing fee of £20 a month. That's £50 a month for a new business to swallow, and a contractual obligation to vodafone for over £1,000. Yikes!

Worldpay is a Streamline (RBS) offering - so I'll take a peek. Thanks fozzyo.

If you join the Federation of Small Businesses you get the first 3 months rental of the terminal free, and much reduced rental thereafter as well as preferential merchant interchange rates too.

Latest posts

Back