Acetone used to disolve tips for blending

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaBevahousen

Reaction score
DISOLVE! I'm not even sure that's spelt right.

I've recently been shown that acetone can be used if dipped lightly onto a finger and then onto a tip (already adhered to the nail) can make blending easier.

Before then I had never herd of it before, I know of other tip blenders, so I wanted a few more opinions, because it was applied with a finger I wonder about having the oil from the finger getting onto the nail plate to cause lifting later as well as the acetone continuing to break down the tip after I have blended it.:eek:

Any and all opinions and advice would be appreciated.:hug:

Last edited:
I've recently been shown that acetone can be used if dipped lightly onto a finger and then onto a tip (already adhered to the nail) can make blending easier.

Before then I had never herd of it before, I know of other tip blenders, so I wanted a few more opinions, because it was applied with a finger I wonder about having the oil from the finger getting onto the nail plate to cause lifting later as well as the acetone continuing to break down the tip after I have blended it.:eek:

Tip blenders are acetone. It is not something a professional would do ... using acetone on their finger or in any other way to blend a tip.

Ten good reasons why:
First you really rarely have to blend tips anymore with the well-less tips around.
2. If you do need to use a tip with a well then use a good quality tip that doesn't need to be melted onto the nail .. and blend it with skill.
3. Never mind the oil from your finger causing a problem:lol:, the Acetone will cause even more.
4. Use the knowledge you have and think it through .. do you think using acetone, which is what we use to break down product for removal, is a smart move before you even put the product on the nail? Do you think that it wouldn't cause problems?
5. Using acetone is a short cut that will give you long delays!! It also poses a big risk of nail plate damage as the file cuts through the gummy tip well area and scrapes the plate.
6. It makes a mess of your files

7. It is not the way to give a professional quality nail service.
8. It is not easier than working in the professional manner
9. It is not quicker than working skillfully with a file
10. It ill weaken the bond of the tip to the nail as it will start to liquefy the adhesive.

Tip blenders are acetone. It is not something a professional would do ... using acetone on their finger or in any other way to blend a tip.

Ten good reasons why:
First you really rarely have to blend tips anymore with the well-less tips around.
2. If you do need to use a tip with a well then use a good quality tip that doesn't need to be melted onto the nail .. and blend it with skill.
3. Never mind the oil from your finger causing a problem:lol:, the Acetone will cause even more.
4. Use the knowledge you have and think it through .. do you think using acetone, which is what we use to break down product for removal, is a smart move before you even put the product on the nail? Do you think that it wouldn't cause problems?
5. Using acetone is a short cut that will give you long delays!! It also poses a big risk of nail plate damage as the file cuts through the gummy tip well area and scrapes the plate.
6. It makes a mess of your files

7. It is not the way to give a professional quality nail service.
8. It is not easier than working in the professional manner
9. It is not quicker than working skillfully with a file
10. It ill weaken the bond of the tip to the nail as it will start to liquefy the adhesive.

Thanks Gigi, just needed a second opinion (and a little kick up the bottom) It was just the person that told me has been in nails for a good few years and is a friend of a friend who is a very good nail tech. Always better to double check, thanks for confirming what was going through my head.

DISOLVE! I'm not even sure that's spelt right.

Years ago when I traned with, I thinkit was Backscratchers, we were trained to apply tip and then use a cotton bud dipped in acetone to help blend, you would use your file then wipe over the tip with the cotton bud, file, cotton but etc untill it was done. years ago tips wernt lik they are now tho !
I use well less mainly and phew what a difference 20 something years !

Lilly, what did you see happen to the enhancement by doing that?

Several things that happened was yellowing and the product going brittle and tips not lasting. Tell her, Lilly!! lol

Several things that happened was yellowing and the product going brittle and tips not lasting. Tell her, Lilly!! lol

lol I'm listening, just curious as to what it would look like.

It was so flipping long age I cant remember, I'm ancient !:lol: All I can remember it how looooong it took to blend a tip !

When I trained (in October last year) we were taught blending with a file and then using acetone on a cotton bud. I didn't get it at all, one tip I did was fine but another just started melting away!!

When I trained (in October last year) we were taught blending with a file and then using acetone on a cotton bud. I didn't get it at all, one tip I did was fine but another just started melting away!!

They are still training like that then! Sounds a disaster.

For years we used to do this in my first salon i worked in , then later i went on to one to one conversion course with CND and they taught me it was really not necessary , and apart from that i think over blending just weakens the nail tip.
I decided to stop doing it at all when i went self employed and could do how i wanted to , and also acetone using it on every client just set off my migraines , and when your bad that smell makes you worse , the only time i use acetone now is for a removal.
:lol:

If you use the correct file and the correct technique, by the time you have applied tip blender, I would have finished blending in 5 nails, Tip Blender is for lazy techs, lacking technique ...... sorry fr being blunt, but if you had half decent training you would never need tip blender, or that other trashy stuff for filling in lift lines ...... sheeeesh some people/companies will sell you anything, when really they should be giving you information, not selling you chemical cheats, that by the time you get the lid off the bottle, the job should have been done

Omg, I was taught this technique about 2 months ago, I had been practising on myself and damaged my nails so badly that my nails started to crack upwards, imagine if that had been a client, nightmare. I have learnt so much from this website! I'm putting myself through the CND course too!
Which tips do you use most of from the CND range that don't require blending?

I was also taught (about 2 months ago) to blend in the tip with either a tip blender or acetone on a cotton bud. I have only done nails on my family and friends so far as I want to make sure I am really confident and producing great nails before doing other people's, so this was an interesting thread to find! So, if you use tips with wells then you just blend in with a file? Thanks!

Omg, I was taught this technique about 2 months ago, I had been practising on myself and damaged my nails so badly that my nails started to crack upwards, imagine if that had been a client, nightmare. I have learnt so much from this website! I'm putting myself through the CND course too!
Which tips do you use most of from the CND range that don't require blending?

PERFORMANCE Tips from CND require no blending and are made of an amazing new material that really adheres well with the adhesive and never separates from the natural nail. They come in natural, white and clear.

PERFORMANCE Tips from CND require no blending and are made of an amazing new material that really adheres well with the adhesive and never separates from the natural nail. They come in natural, white and clear.

Great it's on my list, thank you x

Years ago when I traned with, I thinkit was Backscratchers, we were trained to apply tip and then use a cotton bud dipped in acetone to help blend, you would use your file then wipe over the tip with the cotton bud, file, cotton but etc untill it was done. years ago tips wernt lik they are now tho !
I use well less mainly and phew what a difference 20 something years !

I trained on the ASP system last June and was told to use a cotton bud dipped in acetone to blend the tip. I am so unhappy with so many aspects of this training that I have removed this service from my price lists. I have wasted over £500 in training and buying the products, I wish I knew about training with CND before I wasted my time and money!! :cry:

Seriously unhappy email on its way to Sallys Training team............

Crikey, I trained 8 years ago with Supernail (using Backscratchers products) and this was never suggested as a tip blending method - good old filing all the way! Why would you use acetone to blend, when it causes breakdown of the product? Each time I hear something that I would consider bad practise, it makes me wonder what other practises are out there that we would consider to be lazy or inappropriate... :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Ooh... This one brought back memories of sitting inside Alan Howard on a Star Nails L&P 1 day course!! It was ok at the time but I thought this practice was banned years ago!? It made the tips really brittle and started breaking down the product overlay!

I trained on the ASP system last June and was told to use a cotton bud dipped in acetone to blend the tip. I am so unhappy with so many aspects of this training that I have removed this service from my price lists. I have wasted over £500 in training and buying the products, I wish I knew about training with CND before I wasted my time and money!! :cry:

Seriously unhappy email on its way to Sallys Training team............

Me too. I feel so ripped off, if I had known about this website before doing it I wouldn't have to pay 2 lots of training, maybe it's my own fault for being naive

Latest posts

Back